Register now to get rid of these ads!

History skinny whites..the sky is falling!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Feb 25, 2009.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

Didn't take much to knock your world off its axis!:eek:

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

positive input or shut it .....my world is fine.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Now that's a nice, positve response!!!!!

4. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

i am currently facing this debacle and torn as to what i want to run on my 63 Nova. i actually like both a lot, and have seen both on my car that look good.

i'm thinking i will go with the skinnys first since they are cheap. and if i dont like them, i will upgrade when its time to replace.

5. Ditto!

6. H3O

H3O

just depends on the car and the look you're goin for.

7. When the skinnies came out on new cars everybody wanted the look. Wasn't long until that's all you could buy at tire stores. Next was redlines. I worked for American Auto Stores selling Cordovan brand tires. We had a paint tool for a groove in the side wall and you could choose your color. That didn't last long 'cause the paint didn't last long.

8. H3O

H3O

now everyone thinks thin whites are wide whites, the 5/8-7/8", now that ford has those skinny 3/8" wide whites. annoys me. now those skinnies are ugly. as far as 7/8-1 1/2", those look good with astros. but yeah. makes me shiver.:eek:

9. Kerry67

Kerry67

I don't have the $$$ right now to get the wide whites so it looks like I'll be going the skinny route myself for my 56 wagon. I actually saw one this past weekend with skinnies and it like pretty good.

10. rivguy

rivguy

Funny, back when I was growing up in Oakland in the 60's wide whites were for "pimp cars" big ol' Devilles or Eldos or Lincolns. Diamond in the back... just like the song. When I got out of high school I had some on my '66 Lincoln. The look for bikers was a lowered big car like a Riv. or Caddy with low profile raised white letters tires on Cragers. Later in the eighties I just went with the stock type tire. Now it seems that the "pimp" connection has been broken except for "Vogues". Wide whites now have a strong nostlgic conotation. On my 71 riv I ran narrow ww. On my 66 Riv and 56 Caddy I had buffed out whitewalls with no problems. Unfortunately all those cars are gone in the last few years. and I'm trying to find my way back. My next car will have wide whites.