Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame Pitting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikey502, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mikey502

mikey502

I've got my frame stripped all the way down and parts of it look like photos of the surface of the moon. Light pitting I can deal with but up front where the fenders were along with motor mounts it is really bad. Where the mounts were it got really deep and I'm going to fill this in with the welder but I don't really feel like doing the whole frame, so has anyone ever filled their frame with a body filler to smooth it out at all? I was thinking a fiberglass filler after the frame has been blasted. Would it hold up well enough as far as not being cracked free from flexing?

2. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Metallic metal filler is what I would use.[​IMG]

3. Braze up the pits, and then dress it down with the grinder. There would be less chance of it cracking...if you don't want to weld...

4. striper

striper

Leave it. It adds character and people know it's a gennie frame....unless it's dangerous

Pete

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Primer and paint won't stick to braze, once the frame comes home from the blaster give it a coat of Bondo on the offending areas, AFTER you have welded on any brackets, engine mounts etc.

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

metal all filler will work good !

7. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Not to hijack but will the Lab-metal hold up to powdercoat heat? Thanks...

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure and that patio furnuture will look great.

9. Don't tell a soul, but all of us old guys who have been building rods since dinosaurs roamed the earth have used a little Bondo on our frames before painting them. You don't need Lab metal, nor any other exotic filler if you are going to paint the frame, however, powder coating is a whole 'nother story. Do NOT use brazing to fill pits. Like 37 Kid says, finish all the welding, do a test assembly of everything, then blow it all apart and don't be afraid to use just plain old polyester filler on the areas that will be visible when the car is viewed by citizens.---Any filler will not add to the structural integrity of a frame---if it is substantially rotted in any high stress areas, then start looking for another frame or build a new one out of rectangular tubing.

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Thats what they say. It sands really easy.

11. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

id use all metal or even just a skim of your favorite body filler, take a DA over it and your good.

12. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

all metal shrinks, and out gasses during the cure cycle of powder coating.
    Best thing out right now is made by tiger drylac called epo-strong