Register now to get rid of these ads!

If ya don't mind me askin' whut didya pay fer that?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Had a guy come up to me at cruise nite and gave me the keys to his new Mercedes and said even up trade for your 37. I told him no way he got pissed and walked away.

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That seems to be the first question many people ask! For some, it seems like simple curiousity...they wonder what such a car costs today. To some, it's probably just making conversation...and it usually follows the OTHER big question..."What year is that?".

Others I know are a bit different, they can't formulate an opinion of something unless they first have a dollar value in front of them.

So, my answer is as different as the people asking...could be anywhere from $300 to $3000! ;):D

(Hey, I'm the only one who really has to know, right?!)

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

then to the next obvious question, How much is it worth?

"It's not for sale".

4. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I disagree, Wisconsin has toll booths on wheels and with flashing lights on them and when they see an Illinois plate going 1 MPH over the limit they throw the gate down and collect a toll...............;):p But they are as polite as Hell when they do it unlike one ISP storm trooper I encountered, I have to give them that.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's always worth more when you want to but it and less when you want to sell it, depending on who's eyes your looking thru.

6. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Two guys inquiring how much I had in the Merc, I said if I tell ya i gotta kill ya, he looked at me and pointed to his buddyand said...tell him.

8. They are sticky bastards. They really focus on Minnesota drives on the west side:(

9. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

But luckily they pay no mind to Michigan plates!! :D

10. Get over it. It must have been in Illinois. You cheeseheads!! What the hell

11. deucegarage

deucegarage

What did you pay for that?
    What business is it of yours?

How much do you want for it?
    What makes you think it's for sale?

Idiots abound!

12. Lucky for you :p

13. FATT STRIPES

FATT STRIPES

haha,now that's funny!

14. How much for the Old Car
    Its not for Sale
    everything has a Price
    what is 1.5
    Million
    o I guess you don't want to Sell it
    duh

15. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

you shoulda pocketed the keys, said thanks, and drove off in the 37 hahahaha

16. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Just messing with ya bro I was going to ask you if you got Map Quest dirrections cause thats how fucked up some of their maps are.
    Good Luck on your new toy

17. Mojo

Mojo

Is it really so horrible to ask?

I've never built a car myself, so when I see a 54 chevy or something I like, i'm curious to know how much i'd have to spend to have something like that. I've got about 8k in on a old mustang, if anyone ask me, i'd tell them just so they'd have an idea that old cars aren't always cheap to fix up.

18. kustombypook

kustombypook

When someone asks me "How much did you pay for that?"
    My reply is always "Less than you would have."

Usually shuts them up.

19. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

When someone asks "If ya don't mind me asking' whut didya pay fer that" I tell them what I paid for it since they are being polite. Why would I care if someone knew what I paid for my vehicle?

20. 2Hep

2Hep

I was driving my Olds back from a cruise in Dearborn and decided to tak ethe long road back from Michigan Ave to Woodward, then go north on Woodward, I got this guy driving next to me, he's checking the car out, follows me in a gas station, pulls in front asks "how much for your '56, its a '56 isn't it?", I say not for sale. Small talk insues, then as I get in to drive away he pulls a gun out and says he's "gunnaa follow me home a steal the car from the house later tonight"... YIKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS I took off, chipped the tires and was gone. ended up not driving home. Drove around for a long while and parked it in the back of a buddies garage.... protected by 2 big shepards. Didn't drive after that for a few weeks, incase that dude was out looking me. Only in Detroit. Gotta love it-

21. Because it's rude and it is NO one's business! Plain and simple. It's called "common courtesy", a commodity that is becoming more UNcommon every single day.

How much do you make? What did you give for your house? How often do you have sex with the old lady? ALL questions whose answers are nobody's business.

22. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I have a drunk old lady in my neighborhood. I was out working on my NEW old car and she stopped by and asked what I paid for it. I told her it was not something that I felt comfortable discussing. She then informed me that she knew the man that I bought it from and she would just ask him. I told her to please go and do it....now.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

depends on who is asking and how they ask

if it's a stranger asking
    I usually give the same response whether they are asking "where'd ya find that?" or
    "how much didja pay that?" or
    "what year is it?"
    my response is "which part?"
    and then lie

if it's a freind or relative
    I just go straight to the lie

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ah, the dead milkmen response, classic punk

25. hemi

hemi

I like to reply: " I didn't ask you what you could afford, you asked me what it was worth." after they get sticker shock from an unusually high quote. That usually shuts them up or annoys 'em.

26. I like to say, "I paid 100-bucks for it.....but if I figure my time at 10-cents an hour.... it's a lot of money."

JG

27. Personally I never understood the whole deal about why somebody would be so offended that they were asked what they paid for something. I’ll tell ya what I paid for anything I got. Maybe they just paid so much they realize they got it snapped off in their asses and hate to admit it, especially to a stranger. I never heard of anybody walkin’ out of a car dealership who would tell you he just negotiated a bad deal. It’s just human nature. The ones that do piss me off though, are the guys who will ask you 2 thousand questions about your junk but when it comes to theirs it’s a state secret.

28. It's all good:)

29. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

30. None of the above. It is nobody's business. Period.