Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnetic Shocks (O/T)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Mar 27, 2009.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

We all have always been taught that we need to keep the iron filings away from the moving parts, like seals and cylinders. So we filter and strain and drain and change the oil, and we use magnetic drain plugs, etc., etc.

Nowadays we also have magnetic shocks with iron filings in the shock fluid. The shock has a piston and a cylinder and seals and so on.

So, why don't the iron filings damage the inner workings of the shock?

2. Sinner

Sinner

I think the "filings" are actually tiny balls and therefore don't have sharp edges to screw up the seals.

3. I presume we are talking about megnetorheoligical shocks ?
    Iron particles are very small, 0.1 to 10 thousends of a millimetre,
    and the parts of the shock in contact with the fluid are ceramic where wear would occur due to the 40% iron content of the fluid.
    Idea is that by using 12 volts through a coil to make a magnet the effective viscosity of the shock fluid can be changed, giving a semi-active suspension.
    All a bit mad really, and still unlikely to match the 'magic carpet' Goddess fully pumped hydropneumatic ride comfort of the 1950's .

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep, that's them. It is still hard to visualize a grit filled liquid not abrading things away. I wonder how long they last?

5. Ceramic is tougher than iron filings, sure the seals and such will outlast teh "filling"