Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. tom sheehan

tom sheehan

Here's a few of another former Pittsburgh (PID) racer.
    Bob Arnold raced locally before purchasing Marv Ripe's 57 wagon.
    (Bob still has the wagon and races it a special nostalgia races).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

3. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

IMG.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Hi guys.
    Here are the other pics from the 69 Nationals at Indy.
    Jim Pizzi

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The line in the Dragster that said "$5,000 in each," was really meant to read "$5,000 in cash."
    Back then, the National Dragster was typically rampant with typos, inaccuracies (Bill's ride was a Biscayne, not a 'Chevelle'), poor spelling and shabby grammar. Alas, the text, such as it was, was often 'way too cute' and/or riddled with inappropriately sarcastic or elitist editorial comments!

*By the way, I don't 'think' Dave's 5K payday includes all of his 'contingency' (product placement) money, but 'if' $5,000 was his total haul, it wasn't really too bad as ...

"$5,000.00 in 1968 had about the same buying power as $31,007.37 in 2009."

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

6. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Jim,
    Great shots. That's Bud Rowe's '69 Nova in the 2nd Indy shot.
    Bob Rice

7. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Hi Guys,

I would like to publicly acknowledge the grnerosity of Jim Amos and
    Bee on Video. Fellow H.A.M.B.er Bob Rice told me about Jim and I called him and left my name and number and that I wanted to buy a DVD that had my brother Tony Pizzi on it. Jim called me back later that day and said that since I was Tonys brother the DVD would be free. He said it was a piece of family history and wanted me to have it. In our conversation I said that Tony jr lived in Florida also. He asked for his address to also send him a DVD. He again said it was family history. This man is a stand up guy, and I felt that I had to acknowledge him and his actions.

Jim Pizzi

8. SOUPY

SOUPY

Hi to all,I stumbled on this site 3 days ago.It has taken me this long to read it all.It brings back many happy times.I just got off the phone with Howard Barsky,Ive got to get him on here to tell the story of the sd and the body switch to the 2dr.I started out im JR stock in 63 with J/SA 56 PONTIAC(4 dr 860)I remember the vindacator,but not the owner sorry.At last years the JEGS Sportsnationals in columbus,ohio,I talked Ed Beyer into driving 67 miles and we spent the day talking about the old days.Ed is 77 years old and looks the same.I ran stock then S/S,before moving into comp.Now my son Steve drives the comp car and two years ago he wanted to run a stocker,so he got a 85 IROC 305Qjet,and dad went back to JR stock days and built a real stocker(JR stock style)J/SA black just like my first car but a chev not a pontiac.All my stockers and s/s were pontiacs,56,60,67 firebird,68 firebird,69 RA 4 GTO convt,70 GTO,72 GTO,73 SD T/A.I even had the 285 set up on the 56 not good for drags.By the way FI was to be had on all 58 models of pontiacs.I bought a red and white 4dr 58 safari wagon from the first owner,she was told it needed a valve job,but it needed the leaks fixed in the injection system,she didnt want to spend the money.I used it for 2 yrs as a tow car,took the FI off it put a Qjet on and sold it.Need to add a few more names Howard Barsky,Gene Brown(58 pontiac),Walter(SKIP)Mcmath(67Z/28),Jim Sarver(57 chev SW),Squeak Decontina?(57chev SW the very same wagon that Barsky runs today in S/S) and me Phil Szupka .....As BOB Hope said Thanks for the memories.....SOUPY

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

One of the best threads....EVER! on the Hamb. Is there somewhere That the lettering can be bought? Maybe have it made a vinyl sticker/magnet backing so it could be taken on and off? Here's what i'm starting with, I haven't seen any 55 Pontiacs on here, only 56's . Does anyone have any 55 pics? I've only seen one on the gass madness site, but it was a Canadian car.

I have a newb question also, how did they break the classes down? Over 100 pages here now, I didn't look all the way thru for rules.

[​IMG]

10. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

WoW! No (early) Pontiac 'posters' for 101 pages and now TWO!
    Welcome 'SOUPY' and '55chieftain'!

[​IMG]
    Design by Colesy Productions International Inc. LTD.

PS: Phil Szupka ... see your name/car on our list --> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3655040&postcount=1716 AND Phil, how bout giving Ed Beyer a ring and ask him to join in all the fun here! Ed has some great photos (made from 8mm movie film) that I took of his '56 on the starting line at the Bristol NHRA Springnationals in 1966. I sent them to him in 1968, but alas, I didn't keep (print) copies for myself. Still have the ('66 Bristol) movie film ... might get it tran$fered to DVD.

11. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Soup,did any of you guys save pictures when Squeak owned the Barsky car?? I think I remember seeing this car at Jim Sarvers house in Blue at one point. Am I close?? Was it Blue when Squeak had it? Also I heard Squeaks' Camaro MP car is still tucked away at his shop in Germantown after all these years.....

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    May I suggest that you contact Jim Amos about your video. Between your 66 footage and George's 67 footage he should be able to put a pretty good Bristol show together.
    Bob Rice

13. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Sure is. Dave and his cousin Tim owned a '59 Biscayne called "Hey Man", but I don't know this car. The date was at a time when Uncle Sam had me in Ethiopia.

We had a good time last Thursday when a group of us got together for dinner. Dave, Tim, Buck Wheatley, Charlie Hampp and some local racers attended. I posted some photos, but I guess they didn't meet the criteria for the site and they were removed.

14. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I just wanted to say how much I like the pics of the '69 Nationals. Especially love those Oldsmobiles --Anybody have any "Smothers Brothers" pics or other Olds Stockers? Still looking for anything related to the "Anderson Olds" cars from Baltimore, MD. Thanks, Dave.

15. SOUPY

SOUPY

I do have some pics from when Squeak had the car(black&white).I do think it was a factory blue.The way I remember the history of the car is...First made into a race car in 62,BIG Jim Sarver bought it in 67/68.Big Jim and his younger twin brothers ran it in every class,265 3sp to dual quad 4sp/power gilde no FI(still have the cast iron VITAR glide).Around mid seventies it was parked,Big Jim is my best friend and he went racing with me for over 30 years.In the early 80s he wanted to restore it,so we stripped it and sand blasted the body.Sand blasting turned into whole book,but short version is...Started at day break one ton of sand and a rented blaster powered by a trailer mounted compresser that someone had to keep running,compresser kept clogging up so two guys had to keep shaking tank,4 hrs now we get another ton of sand.Oh did I mention the 6/8 cases of beer,you get the picture.Now the wind was blowing pretty good in Edgely some gal was hanging her clothes out that day,hope it wasnt your shorts.To this day when Howard closes the tailgate sand falls out.The dipped front end was long gone at this point(some one backed into car at atco few years before),it was painted blue agin.It sat for a few years,Howard keep asking Big Jim to sell it to him.Big Jim let Howard run it for a few years,till Howard found a corvette that Big Jim liked and the deal was done.Howard and Skip painted it white and called it flat black. It really fun to think about all this stuff.Ive got tears(laughing) in me eyes from remembering the sand blast story(lot of it not told now).Big Jim is past 70 and going strong.......So many of the people named on this thread are still going,Mr Bobbie West Warren is 74, driving and winning in an A/S late EFI camaro and it is a stick .The Rowe family,Gene Brown & sons,Gary Richards(P C Richards)has a fleet of cars and very fast 69 camaro big block C/SA,Dave Lebrum?,cant think of all of the guys and gals still out at the track.My son gets mad when we stand around and compare what pills we seniors take...SOUPY

16. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

OK, let's try again.

Here is a photo of Charlie Hampp (leaning on the Wheatley's SD) and talking to Jay Wheatley back in 1970. Charlie is 89 and will turn 90 in May. Also Tim Bishop's '57 that won class at Indy in 1969 (first race for the new car). The dinner photo show Buck Wheatley chatting with Don Teat. Don worked with the Wheatley's and with Eddie Thomas on the 1969 Landy Charger that has gotten some notoriety on the MOPAR sites. The photo of the three guys shows Buck, Dave Bishop and Jim Pizzi.

Attached Files:

17. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

Did some research on jr. stock finals at the 1968 World Finals. This is per Jan. 1969 Car Craft, Izykowski went a 12.25 at 113.49 m.p.h. in a losing effort. The Jan. 1969 issue of Hot Rod has Boertman running a 15.10 with nothing mentioned about his m.p.h. in the finals.

18. Wow that was some tow rig the Wheatley's had.

19. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Freddy! Figured it was about a three-second wait (at the tree) for Bill as he watched Boertman fade from his view. It was certainly a classic Jr. Stock final. And at the World Finals, to boot!

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks for persevering with the (great) photos Tom. 'Shore is Good' dining down there!

Let me guess ... http://www.thecrabclaw.com/ ??

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Good guess Steve, but we were not there. Our new home was close to central to the group so we met at Suicide Bridge.

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bob, I just got off the phone with Jim Amos. What a congenial gentleman! He'll have all of my 8mm film by this Friday!

23. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Sounds great. I don't think that you will be disappointed!<o:p></o:p>
    Bob<o:p></o:p>

24. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Thanks Soupy. That is cool stuff ,the old stories of how these cars were made.I remember seeing it in Fairless HIlls beside the house. I think I drove by so much it put ruts in the Street. I recently heard that Howard and Skip have some of his Super Stock stuff (ported heads ,Sheetmetal intake ) squirreled away as well. Thanks for the response ..........

25. Gene Brown's son, Brett:
    [​IMG]
    photo courtesy of Brett Brown/ Classracer.com

26. Not 100% positive but the car was run at englishtown in late 60's. Haven't been able to remember the name of the owner. Before the orange paint job it was brown and white and the name on it was "Charlie Brown" as in the cartoon.This picture on theier transporter{which was painted the same as the car} was taken at englistown.
    Dom Rinaldi

27. Sorry,
    Read my above reply. Forgot to put the picture of the car so you would know what I was replying to . Boy, old age is great!! I guess I am lucky that I can still find the other end of the track when I leave the line.
    Dom Rinaldi

28. SOUPY

SOUPY

Hi,Mark.Nice shot of Bretts new(for him)S/S.The camaro stocker he had before it is now back east in the Philly area .Gene Brown is still racing in comp(F/ED)with other son Tom driving.Brett ran his own comp car,JEEP 4 cyl powered by Gene....Now that I have found this site,I have been telling others from back in the day about it and to get on here and share stories,history and all the fun of JR stock days.....SOUPY

29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Super-Sano '64 ! Looks like there was 'more than one' 4-door Chevelle that made the switch fom Stock to SS ... see the 'poor quality' image of my '65 in post # 531 <--Click Here.

Mark, by the way, (I'm really outta touch!) ... is the roll cage now 'mandated' for all cars in SS?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  30. Colesy,
    Just wanted to express how I and I am sure all others involved with this 103 page thread feel with your invaluable input. Hopefully your memory will and pictures will last for a long time. No matter how long or bad my day has been your post and those of others take me back to the the days of .30 cent gas and $85.00 paychecks to remember just how good it was.
    I also hope that you and many others will try to be at Darwin Dolls July 2010 York Reunion, where the theme is going to be "Junior Stockers". I took the wagon in 2008 and met many racers from long ago as well as many of the public that had read stories of my car and many of the other 215 cars that were their. It doesn't matter if you were the owner/driver or one of the crew that tagged alog on the weekly trek to the track, everyone willl appreciate this friday-saturday show.
    The topper for the fun weekenf is Sunday at Bob McCardels Beaver Springs Dragway. It is about 1-1/2 hour from York and is a first class facility. Bob loves the junior stocker and nostalgia cars and puts on a great fast paced event. He personally makes you feel welcome.
    Colesy again thanks for all you do on a daily basis and I hope to meet you and many others at the july 2010 reunion.

Dom Rinaldi