Register now to get rid of these ads!

merc o matic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by killerbee, Mar 19, 2009.

1. killerbee

killerbee
    from new jersey

I got a 54 merc and the trans pan is leaking because it is all bent up.Does and one sell a after market pan or is this a junk yard item.

2. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

I've straightened some pretty mangled trans pans in my time.If you take your time you can save most just be sure when your done mating surface is flat.Or if your looking for pretty try the bone yard,good luck.

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Mercomatics were medium case transmissions as is the Fordomatics. You should be able to find a pan at a yard, or look on ebay. Sometimes you can find one there. Be sure to look in HAMB classifieds. Lastly try Craigslist. If none of those "pan" out, pardon the pun, then try some transmission shops that have old cores waiting.

Most yards have pulled a number of transmissions already and should be able to hook you up with one. Best bet is to find a pick your parts yard and look in there. Just make sure you have an old pan gasket or cardboard drawing of the pan gasket when looking. Don't want to crawl under there and pull the wrong one.

4. It is propably a tube on the pan unit. Most of the FE powered cars up to 64-65 will have that style.

5. killerbee

killerbee
    from new jersey

Ill break out the hammer and try again.im using a rubber gasket would a cork one do a better job?

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've personally found that a cork gasket will help sealing in applications where there are surface imperfections. I use a very thin layer of Permatex Ultra Black to help position it and hold it in place. Remember to use washers to spread the load out on the pan and religiously obey your torque specs.

I have an old set of Moon B/RB Mopar valve covers that wouldn't seal for shit with rubber gaskets. After 4 sets of rubber gaskets, I finally tried a cork set, and they sealed up great.

7. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Bee, I have a spare medium case for that car plus a bunch of related stuff, Frank never came back for it. PM me, I live in Whiting, we'll hook up.
    John

8. killerbee

killerbee
    from new jersey

Well i pounded the hell out of the pan and its sealed all but one spot. Im going to find a cork gasket somewhere or make my own and try it again.

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

10. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It should be the same pan as a FMX or cruise o matic,I know all external seals and pan gaskets are the same from 51 to 78 and the only thing that is different is the filter.