Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop alarm systems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOOB, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Old news to Thunderbolts but my shop was burglarized a few months back. They kicked my side door. They didn't take anything too valuable, but they did overlook a full toolbox, migs and numerous other easily accessable valuables. Stuff that they may want to come back for later. They did it while I was at home sleeping too... the scary part. I live in the country in the middle of Williamson County, Texas.... I own a big gun or two. My shop is only about 30 ft from my house but with a sheet metal roof and huge pecan trees I'm use to a lot of bumps in the night.

Last week my girlfriend saw some younger guy videotaping our house as he passed by but she was too worried about calling me to let me know instead of trying to get the plates.

I looked into getting a typical alarm service but after talking to the local Sheriff I was told that the typical response time would average about 10+ minutes unless someone happened to be close. They recommended a few cameras but my current budget doesn't allow that kind of expense. What kind of alarm setups do you guys have on your shops? I was thinking about maybe a couple of motion sensors and a loud outdoor siren. The only two (armed) neighbors I have are home almost all the time and are well aware of my sitch-e-ation so they would be in ear shot. I might adopt one of too many pits at the local pound too. Any suggestions?

2. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Motion sensor hooked to a ohhhhoooga horn will do the trick it's HAMB freindly and will scare the crap out of them. Thats what I use

3. Deadbird

Deadbird

Our local newspaper does a weekly column of headlines from the past. This weeks column had a story from 1934 saying that a small town bank had just installed and tested a new tear gas system. :eek: Bet we couldn't get away with something like that these days.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A friend of mine had a horn off a large boat mounted under the eave of the house and hooked to a switch which was triggered if the garage door moved out more than 2" to allow for wind gusts. It went off one time in all those years and he was absolutely sure the guy was bleeding from his nose, ears and eyes when he left because he was inside in the back end of the house and was practically blown out the window!

Myself, I use a beam across the doorway which activates a little bitty screamer in the garage. I can't remember what they are called but it can be bought at Radio Shack for just a few bucks. At the store I bought it at they used it for their door alarm. It was in the back stockroom against the wall inside 3 cardboard boxes and still was very loud out front. I had them take it out of the boxes and hit it and wished I hadn't.

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

The best thing to do is protect the perimeter of the garage first. That is the doors and any windows. I always try to catch the crook before they are inside. If you can get a BF siren to go off before they are in you have a better shot at them leaving. Certainly do an interior detector also. But catch them going in. Not already in. This doesn't have to be rocket science either. You can always pick up a simple panel that will do what you need. As guys with dirty hands that work on old metal you have more than enough common sense to put this together yourself. And if you need advice just ask away.
    Dom

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

1. get proper insurance
    2. do common sense protective things like locks etc. and don't leave obvious, tempting stuff around or security breaches
    3. Get a real monitored alarm system with door and window triggers and motion sensors and throw in fire/smoke if you can. And yes, make sure it have a very loud alarm bell that can be heard both inside and outside. If something goes off and they can't confirm with you everything is ok, they call the professionals in to deal with whatever is going on and you don't need to put yourself at risk.
    4. Do not get a dog unless you are willing to lose it up against a serious burglar who will just kill it. Dogs will cost you way more than an alarm system unless you just feed them scraps and don't care to ever take them to the vet or anything like that.
    5. Do not get a gun so you can shoot someone and think that is going to be the answer to your problems. Unless you are just as evil and stupid as most criminals may be, you will first probably lose any gun battle or win and end up in jail yourself.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Get a couple rotties!!!it works trust me!also its spendy but you can fence off your property to help keep people out it gated where they cant just walk in or drive in.you can only do so much the bottom line is they are gonna get it if they want it bad enough.i worked in the security field for a couple years installing systems and even the best of them arent fool proof.cameras that watch the area someone would possibly leave in a vehicle is your best bet for catching up to them later.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have a really mean bulldog you could borrow. I'm talking a barrel chested brute that gives off a whiney yelp while scampering backwards into your legs so as to completely hide behind you while simultaneously gaining the courage to manage a bark before he hightails it for the bedroom. Oh wait, thats the opposite of what you need...

9. A cheap way is a motion sensor hooked up to a alarm bell or horn,, some one opens the door and it picks them up.....I admit I like the fact that you own a big gun or two and being 30 feet from the shop would make it a sporting event....

10. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Did you notice that the poster is in Texas? if someone stole something from you down here it is legal to shoot them in the back when they are running away, even if you have to use a high powered rifle with a scope because they are a mile down the road.

I've had some problems with thieves, a good alarm system makes all the difference, perimeter and motion combined is a good idea.

Cameras are nice and don't have to be expensive, you can buy 4 camera systems for around $500, that's what I did and caught one of my employees stealing!!

If you want a professional system with all the trimmings I've got one that I'm not using that I'll sell you for cheap.. but it will likely need a professional to install it.

11. Thats it ! I'm movin out of Jersey down to Wylie TX

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, I noticed he was from TX, but being legal isn't always so clear cut, even in TX and not to mention it can't be all the enjoyable to have to shoot someone regardless. Unless you just don't give a damn, shooting people isn't high up on my list of things I want to have to do. What if in the heat of the moment, you realize it is some kind of false alarm and you just capped the neighbor kid? What if you go running up with your gun and loose the draw and get your assed capped by a guy who is a little bit more experienced at stuff like that and ready for it? Just because you have a gun, doesn't mean you will come out the winner and probably less than a 50% chance you will. Some thieves aren't the running type and won't be putting their backs to you to make it so easy. I am going to guess if you are a thief in TX, you will know this and go prepared as well to deal with the situation if needed. Good luck with that shooting stuff, it's a slippery slope.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  13. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Killing someone wasn't my point, and I would hate to see this thread close because of the change in topic so be careful!!! If I hear something outside I WILL go check it out and I have to be prepared for ANYTHING. My girlfriend sent me outside one night because she thought she heard a water leak so, like a Texan, I grabbed my pistol grip pump, my beer and a flashlight to check for the hissing water leak. It sounded JUST LIKE a water leak but in the form of a 5' rattler. I check on noises all the time. Loud thuds that sound like a person usually turn out to be an opossum or 90% of the time a damned skunk. Anyway, I'll do what I have to do. I just want some ideas that people here have tried for themselves.

It turns out that one of my clients owns a local alarm company and offered a VERY simple system for the house and a wireles system for the shop, free equipment, $35 a month. It may still be a waste of monthly income since the cops themselves told me it will take a while for them to get there.

I think too much.

14. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Not saying he should, I know I probably wouldn't. But when you live in the country without 911 service, with the sherif at least 10 mins away and as you said the culprit likely ready for the worst it's good to know you have the law on your side.

I would never ever run up to someone stealing from me, they can have the stuff, not worth getting killed over but if they come inside and too close, yes my 12 gauge will do just fine if provoked.

15. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

A friend of mine has has a big shop out in the country that every gearhead, and their friends, knows about. He set up a simple system. He installed car door switches in the door jambs and window frames in the shop. They are wired to a car battery and horns, loud horns, inside the shop. That way if the power goes out he still has the alarm system. I like the idea of a motion detector, about $15, mounted inside and one side wired to a horn/siren, and the other side with a flood light. I have one in my shop, but only with the lights so when my wife opens the door the light comes on and she can back out in her car and not have to get back out and shut off lights, nice in the winter.

16. did you kill the snake?........sorry couldn't help it....

on the serious side, I admit to having all the above mentioned,including a 2 layer alarm system 24 7 mointoring.web based ,extral double dead bolts, chained fence, motion lighting , signage, insurance... a great local police dept. with a response time of around 3 minutes, watch cat's neighbors barking dog , extra box of milk bones, and cranky neighbors some with and some without the (G-Word) and it does cost you extra $$$ the key I think is make it as hard as possible,,,and maybe they will look for a easy target on the next block....

17. llonning

llonning

A friend of mine owns a hardware store, and as some do he sells firearms. He has also been broken into more times than I can remember. He went so far as to park a 2-1/2 ton van next to the back door. They jacked it away from the door. He now has the loudest siren that is avaliable, something like 100DB +. Has had only 1 break in since then. Must have blown their ear drums out as it is aimed at the back door so they got the full effect as they come in. Works for him.

As for myself, the family has a reputation for shooting first and checking it out in the morning. Haven't been bothered for decades.

18. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

The first break in was just to test response time from you, or the cops.

They are surely coming back. The scary part is if they're brave enough to tape your shop to plan their burglary, they probably don't mind doing a home invasion @ the same time.

2 ideas:

Big Dogs in the shop.

or one of these w/ the motion sensor attachment:
    http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp

You can put it in something that you think is going to get stolen (i.e. toolbox, hotrod), and it has gps for tracking to the bad guys hidout.

Has a motion sensor attachment, where you can mount it to the ceiling, and if it sees movement it will call via built in cellular to 3 phone numbers.

Does require monthly cell subscription, that I think I saw was about $20 a month.

Great thing is, it's portable. you could put it in your trailer or something.

However, since you live right next door, there are very cheap motion sensor and x10 relays that can let you know in the house.

19. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have 3 motion sensors 2 are silent alarms...one is not.( i can decide if the non silent one alerts or not)
    My dog isnt big but his teeth are sharp and he hates people (that havent been invited)
    Shop is fenced in and always locked, no windows, steel doors, and there is always some one home
    I also have another line of defense..but its top secret..cant tell or it wouldnt be effective

21. rebelrat

rebelrat

Heres mine

Attached Files:

22. put your bed in your shop. i live out the back of mine and ive chased a few people off. funny how they always run away. one day, ill catch one and set an example.

23. crcleofdst

crcleofdst

I've been in the security industry for several years now, and I have had the pleasure (sometimes displeasure) of working on some extremely complicated access control and intrusion detection systems as well as some of the simplest. My suggestion to you would be to get a hard wired, monitored system and cover all of your entry points (doors and windows). Motion detectors and glassbreaks can be good additions as well, but don't rely on them alone. A good system will be "supervised", which basically means each device has an end of line resistor that the panel looks for. If someone tries to bypass the device (door or window status switch), the panel will no longer see the resistor and trigger an alarm. A basic hard wired, supervised system like I am describing usually runs around a hundred bucks. The kits come with the panel, resistors, keypad, telephone line seizure block, battery backup, and a siren. You would have to add cable (maybe 50 bucks for a small spool of 22/4), and door/window status switches which can be between $2.00 and $5.00 each. It should be easy enough for you to set up a monitoring service with ADT (or someone similar) for fairly cheap.

Here is a DSC kit that only needs cable and status switches: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezstore123/CUProductReviewList.asp?productID=1673

This is actually a product that we have installed and used extensively on several high rise residential buildings with good results. For your application, it should be SUPER easy to install, and a minor headache to program.:)

You could also look into video surveillance, but in my experience cheap equipment will do nothing but dent your wallet. A decent DVR will cost around $1500, and cameras typically cost around $300ea. Anything less than that will probably give you grainy, hard to see video that is basically worthless.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.. :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

24. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Thanks crcelofdst. I've been researching on DIY Home Security forums all night. I just need to bear down and get it done.

25. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have a plumbing & HVAC shop. For years- I had no alarm & never gave it a second thought. I am in a row of buildings- I think there's 8 suites per row. When copper prices went through the roof- the plumber 2 doors down had his trucks vandalized. They are parked outside in the open.:eek:
    2 weeks later, they broke into the vacant unit next to mine, went inside & went left (thank god) & knocked a hole through the drywall & accessed the plumbing shop. Stole their computers, all their tools, copper & fittings. That wasn't enough. They broke through the next wall & into the telephone repair guys shop. Stole boxes of cable, tools & computers. Then into the next unit where a guy builds & races midgets. Stole a race motor, all his tools & his computer.
    As soon as I could- I called an alarm company. Installed detectors on doors, glass, roll up doors, my upstairs office door & motion detectors. It's monitored 24 hours & they respond within 5 minutes.
    These buildings are broke into all the time but mine has been spared. I had them install the keypad in plain sight of the door & took the company name off the door. I don't need to advertise I have a shop full of copper!

26. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

i gota good dog,sits in the bay window of the house and watches over the property if shes not outside

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Since you live out in the country, you might be lucky enough to capture one of the scumbags, then you can have a few days of fun in the back forty with a straight razor and a nice pair of lineman's pliers. Don't forget the earplugs though.

28. Mine.............

[​IMG]

29. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I have two large dogs a alarm with cameras. And guns that I would not hesitate to use. And I would sleep well at night after doing so. We can play the what if game all day screw with my lively hood and I will try my best to end you I have worked hard and my family has sacrificed so I could buy my equipment so I can do my job.
    I do not want to hurt or kill anyone but if I am put in a situation were I have to defend myself I will do so. My 2 cents

30. freelancecrashtestdummy

freelancecrashtestdummy

Remember in the United States if you shoot someone and you do not have a badge you will still be arrested and go to jail, even if the person you shoot just killed a love one, and you will be arrained weather you go to trial is a different story. Do not beleive this will be easy to prove either, D.A.'s are paid to put YOU in prison.