Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomdlux, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

I picked up a belly tank in really good shape yesterday. The guy I bought it from thought it was from a p38, but from what I've read, it's too short and skinny to be from a p38. It is just over 10' long and about 30" in diameter at its largest. If anyone has any idea of what it might be from, please let me know.

No real immediate plans for it right now, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Attached Files:

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I have one and from iv been able to gather, they are wing tanks of the same vintage as the bigger belly tanks from P38’s. The little ones were used on altotta stuff P47’s - P51’s…………………

I plan to cut some out of the center of mine. Then make longer panels to fill back in, ending up at about 15 or 16 feet total.
    By growing it that way it will also end up wider in the center were I sit. I also plan to flatten / pancake the bottom like the so-cal tank. Considering the flat bottom and cowling on the top the filler / make it longer panels for the sides should be a piece of cake.

4. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

THANKS!

GREAT information. This info turned up some great search results. It looks like these were the 165 gallon tanks. From what I've read, this sounds and looks to be the same type of tank Bill Burke first used in 1946 to build the first tank lakester. If anyone has other information, or can correct me if I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

5. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

bttt for some info. Thanks