Register now to get rid of these ads!

who's the one of the best fabricators out there these days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WATKINS BOYZ, Feb 9, 2008.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

It is truely amazing how much talent there is out there. I used to think I was pretty good at what I do,,, ha! When I see some of the work from guys listed on here it makes me want to go back to freakin school.Maybe its not to late to become a ballerena, or an astronaut.... Awe, i guess I will just keep beatin on rust. As long as i keep getting better I am happy to learn from the true kings on the HAMB.

2. racer5c

racer5c

Steve Panaritis, Jackie Howerton, Jerry Weeks, Denny Jamison, Jason Hart, Gary Brown, Joe Devin, John Godfrey, Danny Drinan, rick and Jeff Howerton, Critter Malone, Jerry Miller.

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Thats a hell of a list especially when they are all great guys oin the west side of Indy. The talent in our area is amazing when you really stop and think about it.

I think when it comes to Fabricators they all seem to have their nitch, or are better at some things than they are at others, although I know that most of the guys listed above could do most anything. but for example if you needed an aluminum cobra body built you wouldn't go see Rick, Jeff, or Critter. But when you need the exhuast system and other intricate pieces made they would be the perfect trio to go see.

Also, lets not for get our own Rooman. If you needed and indy car built you might go see Jackie, but if I was building a vintage drag car I would look not further than Rooman.

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Theirs no doubt that Indy has alot of great fabricators and is rich in history to back it up !!!...Littleman

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

I agree with Tracy, Indy has an unbelievable amount of talent. I love to go over there and see what everyone is working on. The Blanket run is one of my favorite events every year (even though I had to miss it this year) Most of those guys have more talent in their little finger than I have in my whole body.

Littleman hit the nail on the head too. There is too much ego involved with stuff these days. I have met a few big name builders that are more interested in talking about being famous than talking about cars.

I also think you can be the best fabricator in the world but come up with some really crappy looking car. That is when people tend to make excuses for an ugly car with the "I can appreciate the work that went into it".

Some of my favorite cars have been built by guys that aren't so great fabricators though. To me, the idea of a car and it's design is pretty important. For example, Ed Roth's cars were awesome, but some things were very crudely done on them. To see a car that is truly a mix of cool design and fabrication just puts it over the top though. My buddy Joe is probably the best fabricator and welder that I know, but he always tells me that he wishes that he could come up with the shit that I come up with and I tell him that I wish I could weld and fabricate stuff as good as he does. Ha Ha Ha

My favorite builders/Idea guys in no particular order are:
    Ed Roth - what was he on, I want some
    Littleman - not only top notch fab work but serious attention to detail
    Brian Bass - I haven't seen the Chevy in person yet but the chassis is awesome and his coupe is bitchin'
    Andy Didio - The Zenor coupe, need I say more
    Joe Kern - my buddy and the best fabricator I know
    Gary Brown - Tons of cool ideas and a great fabricator to boot
    Kevin Tully - Back Seat Betty
    Dave Puhl - Showrod hero
    Jimmy White - Bitchin' Hot Rods
    Mark Moriarity - The Futurian
    Jackie Howerton - That roadster is unbelieveable
    Ray Fahrner - Midwestern hero Eclipse, X-ray, and Boot Hill Express
    Bill Bierman - The pink freak, that truck is awesome, I don't care what anyone says
    Dave Shuten - The Mysterion Clone fucking ruled.
    The Rolling Bones Guys - every thing they do is wicked
    The Leskys - I wish I had the patience
    Steve Grimes - the king of the wicked little modifeds

These are all guys whose work I have seen in person and have built cars that strike a chord with me, so it isn't internet nutslinging. Some of the names on the list aren't flawless fabricators but are high up on my list. I have the honor of calling some of them friends. I would like to put Cole, Rudy, and Sellers on my list, but unfortunatley I will have to make it to the west coast to physically see their work.

Yeah, this may be a worthless thread, but hey, it's winter and we need something to jaw about don't we???

6. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

For me, me. It's all in your head. I had a drill sergeant in the military who told me you can do anything without the word "Can't" in your vocabulary. And I believed him. I've never forgotten that. And as such, you are what you believe yourself to be. I don't usually tell people that, as they usually don't listen to what I'm saying, and only hear that I'm full of myself (I'm sure at least one person on here will have stopped reading already and passed judgment.) But it's all about confidence. Never mistake arrogance for confidence. There is a BIG difference.

If your asking me who are the fabricators that I look up to, that's different. That list is long, and it's never about what they've built, but HOW. And without attitude.

Fay Butler. The dude works in a barn, and has made stuff for NASA. In a BARN. With OLD TOOLS.

Bass. Cool shit, cool shit, cool shit.

Jimmy White. See above. Everything, except the barn part and NASA. As far as I know. :D

Chip Foose. Not for the look and feel of his stuff, but the attention to detail, engineering, and quality. He's one of the nicest people I've ever worked with.

Mark Constantine. He taught me more about going fast and engineering than anyone. Super nice guy, and totally unassuming. I wish I could have learned everything he knew, but that would have taken me a lifetime, and I didn't have it. My headers or chassis' wouldn't be the same without him and his fabrication skills.

Jesse James. For making people think about craftsmanship again. The shit he can make out of sheet metal is just amazing. And engineering. They guys is tops. And for teaching me through the books and interviews about what's important. How you shouldn't copy, always be the pathfinder with your designs. "It's either right, or it's crap."

Butch from Autofab Race Cars. I don't know his last name, although he probably told it to me. He was awesome. That guy could build a Pro-Stock cage in a week to ten days. And it would be perfect. His Tig welds were unbelievable. I only hope I'm that good someday.

Littleman. Deaths Doorstep. 'nuff said.

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

What, you mean you haven't gone 200mph yet Aaron? :D

8. I like Greg Porter's work..

Attached Files:

9. lowburban

lowburban

I've always been a huge fan of the Delays. Guys who can truly build most anything from scratch. And I was a fan long before they ever got shown with the fat guy on TV. And Bob Grant in Oroville cali. His abilities are amazing. He's also a friend and is as humble a person as you'll ever meet. At a recent get together he was asking me about suspension setups and stuff and I'm thinking to myself " why's he askin me". I'd be happy sweepin his floor to hang out and learn something if it would pay bills. He's building a 62 impala for himself I think will open some eye's.

10. ocfab

ocfab

Lil John
    Steve Davis
    Ron Fournier
    Ron Covell
    Cole Foster
    Pat Foster
    Fat Jack
    Johny Rotten
    Pete Eastwood

these are my top guys

11. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

I think Dave Tucci should be on the list. I've worked with him a number of times over the years, and I can't believe what he can do with metal. I'm starting to campaign that logic is one of the most valuable tools in the shop, and he really does use it in every piece he makes. If you get a chance to check out his shop in Marcy, NY, you'll definitely find some amazing stuff going on.

I'll also put a plug in for Jim Baillie and Ken Stewart. I'm enjoying SUHR's roadster build, too.

12. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Yes Dave does do nice stuff. I got to work with him on a ride .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice set up he has there too-he once told me he was luck enough to get a lot of the shop tools at auctions- I bet for a fraction of what they were worth- good for him!

Hes got a car out for Riddler this year too... Good luck to him.

13. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Plowboy, Skratch, Bass, AussieSteve, Littleman, top my list.

14. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

There are some interesting opinions on here. I have spent 30 years doing this stuff, the last 20 plus full time, both for other well known shops and lately on my own. I think the posts that mention the mental aspect of what we do have it right. You have to want to do this, and then want to make every piece you make better, or neater, or faster, or more aesthetic than the piece you made yesterday. Having some customers that encourage/appreciate your work really helps--especially if they pay you! But in the end...if you make something for your own car or someone elses that makes you even a little satisfied with what you did...that is the reward, and the reason to do it as well...

15. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

He hasn't climbed Mt. Everest yet, either, but who's keeping track?

16. My bro- Lovell Stickley in Dayton, Ohio.
    Not that it appeals to this crowd- but I'm guessing that he is the hands-on talent behind more Ridler cars than just about any other single individual.

Attached Files:

17. I don't think you could have said it any better.

18. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

some of the best fabricators are at this site, in their garages working silently away. id say look around here and admire the talent and attention to detail that the members have for tradition. i have been amazed at the quality of the builds that are being posted. true there are alot of famous ones floating around like Chip Foose and his dad, Barris, Lil John Buttra, Marcel, Steve Moal, to name a few off the top of my head. but there are some guys and gals here that could give these people a run for their money and would probably take it from them!!!

19. Bill H.

Bill H.

May not be the best, but sure not the worst. Randy is one of those guys you just want to be around. Best thing is he does not use or desire a Pullmax, powerhammer, or much more than his WHeel, hammers, stump, and sand bag. Randy Ferguson. http://fergusoncoachbuilding.com/

But he was taught by Wray Schelin, who is no bench racer either.

Pauzza and Jim Bailey are pretty awesome too.

BH

20. send_it_all

send_it_all

I'm a big fan of Steve Sellers. Bass' work is incredible. A local dude in Orange County Ca. that I grew up with named Don(ny) Guererro is extremely talented. He doesn't do much in the way of traditional hot rods, but his fabrication skills are top notch. He was building pro modified chassis in his dad's garage as a teenager.

Anyone else here know of him?...there must be a few.

E.T.A....Not sure if he's been mentioned, but after seeing comments like "the best,or the one who gets the most press?" it reminded me that Jesse James seems pretty talented.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  21. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

A lot of good builders listed by every one, but the big name builder issues orders to the guy whos doing what ever on the car ,they don't have time to grab a wrench or sand a car they're running a business and trying to find the best help that they can to keep their name out there, The people I admire are the ones who do it all, fab it, paint it,even upholster it, those are the true builders who can say "I did it my self" good or bad you tried so be proud of your work. Years ago in the 60's I built a T bucket I drove it to Andy's picnic sitting on pillow from our couch, Andy was working the gate when I drove in he looked at my car and said "you've got a good start there", that car by today standards was a POS but Andy made my day and made me want to build a better car....:D

22. EJ Kowalski A one man Show

23. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

There are a lot of folks here on The HAMB that impress the heck out of me (which is hard to do because I'm no hack myself, though not in the league as the really good guys); Mr Sellers, Rooman and several other's here....All extremely talented.

The first name that came to my mind when I saw this thread title was also a fellow HAMBer and is someone, along with Roo, who I strive to emulate myself:

Rich Pauza. (screen name Hotrodzz I believe here)

His talent and vision blows me away.

Al in CT

24. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Isn't this like asking who has the cutest baby?

Would be easier to have an ugly kid contest instead!

25. chopperbilly

chopperbilly

26. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

All of the people that build their own cars and not buy them thats who stands out to me.

27. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

28. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

sheet metal- Craig Naff. Credits; Cadzilla,Smoothster,Golden Submarine, the fenders on my `40 coupe etc. modest human being.

29. Dyce

Dyce

Amen!! I've met Cass a couple times and had a tour of his shop. Everywhere you look you see a tool that will blow your mind!! He makes everything right down to the door handles, bumpers, latches, and of coarse the sheetmetal. And it's flawless. I heard him ask a guy one time if a panel was finished. The guy said it's good enough, just slap a little mud to it. Cass said "Good enough, good enough, You just keep telling yourself that. You keep saying good enough and the quality of each job gets less and less and preaty soon all you build is shit!!!" Lot's of truth to that, and I here it in my head every time I'm in the finishing stage of a panel.....

30. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Kenny Stewart and sidekick Al H. they can and have done it, here in Canada