Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Pontiac Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldy57, Mar 5, 2009.

1. oldy57

oldy57

I bought this 1951 Pontiac Gasser from a guy who wanted to do another project. I wanted to build a ratty truck but he gave me a great deal on this gasser and I couldn't refuse. It came as you see it. The bodywork on the back half was done. The stainless on the trunk was removed and filled. The body was very nice to start with. It has a 10 bolt posi with 411 gears, all new parts, new brakes. The straight axle was from Speedway and is new. The front brakes are new. It came with Centerline wheels but the BFG tires did not come with it. It did come with new Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pros that will not go on it. I will use vintage slicks maybe whitewall slicks on vintage wheels. It also came with an Edlebrock TR1 with carbs and linkage, fuel cell, shut off switch, Hiem joints for steering, new vintage Mr Gasket fenderwell headers, Speedway crossmember with SBC mounts, new blue dot rear lights. It also came with a vintage set of wheelie bars. I found some vintage valve covers and a coil and distributor for it. The front fenders and hood are very nice. The hood will have to be filled where the stainless waterfall piece was. I am not sure what motor I will use or how wild to go. For now I will look for more vintage pieces. I know of a Moon tank but it i not cheap.
    The car needs floors and glass. The only good glass is the rear window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. looks like a nice solid start and might as well go sbc since you have some cool stuff already

3. smittystoys

smittystoys

that is defenantly a good car to start with ... would be easy to put a good small block in but it would also be cool to put a 421 or 455 in no matter what it will make a neat car wish i had it.....

4. Very cool car. I like the fact that it's a bit off the radar in terms of uniqueness. This could end up a pretty spectacular project. Best of luck with it.

Smittystoys, I like your Avatar. I had a ''66 Impala, mostly stock but a good running 327 car with a clean body. Rust took out the frame and I had no money to fix it. May begin searching for one again some day...

5. oldy57

oldy57

I could go with te small block with the parts I have. An early 327 would be nice. A local guy has a Pontiac 389 with 2 fours, a solid well built motor. A 421 would be real nice. I have lots of time to decide. It will be a while befor ethe motor can go in.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Since you're in Canada, I assume it's a Canadian Pontiac; built with Chevrolet/GMC powertrain, and on a Chevrolet wheelbase, instead of on a "real" Pontiacs' longer wheelbase. Neat car, regardless. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. chopt49

chopt49

looks solid... have fun building that one.

8. oldy57

oldy57

It is an American Pontiac on what I am told an Olds frame. Did Olds and Pontiac use the same frames in the US. Anyone have a windshield for this car, Olds 1 piece or the Pontiac/Chev 2 piece.
    [​IMG]

9. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

I disagree with some of the other posters. Being a Pontiac, I would sell off the Chevy parts and replace them with Pontiac parts and go with a 389 or 421 Pontiac engine. 389's are relatively easy to find, 421's not so much. You saw more mid 50's Chevy cars with later Pontiac engines in the 60's than you saw 50's Pontiacs with Chevy engines.

10. thats a great start for a project. i agree to sell off the chevy stuff and the centerlines also. put the money towards the built 389. must have fenderwell headers. steelies on the rear and some kind of nostalia wheels on the front. check out the gasser madness site and also for pontiac info performance years pontiac tech forums. HAMBer APPLEKRATE is a great source for pontiac info also. good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

11. colorado51

colorado51

Cool! A Pontiac Coupe, you don't see a lot of those around.

The glass is still available, check Chevy's of the 40's or National Chevy Assn.

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Awsome Man! That's gonna be nice a car, keep us updated on the progress Cheif!

13. ratt7

ratt7

Looks really good, keep us updated !

14. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Pontiac and Olds shared alot of the same suspension, frame and differential. Probably the original frame. Unless your going for the 80's look I wouldn't use the centerlines either. A Pontiac engine in there would really make that car.

15. That is going to be one sweet mother when you get it done. I too like the off the radar type car for a gasser.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Great start. I think you'd be way ahead if you get on the Yahoo group, "1950's Pontiacs", lots of great guys, a good source of parts, and they won't hammer you for having a hot rod. Loads of stuff for these on ebay.

The Olds and Pontiac frames should be similar enough it won't make a difference, as the wheelbase is the same, and it's got the tube axle already anyway. Nice start.

If it were me, I'd use the hood trims, grill, et al, it's actually all very pretty, and just leave the bumper off.

17. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

I'd be inclined to keep the "waterfall", it's part of what makes the Pontiac distinguishable from the Chevy's. As far as parts goes, Chev's of the 40's supplies alot of the little stuff for my Poncho. The interchange is very good between the two. Nice start, good luck!

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now I see it, after really looking at the pics, the frame horns have the "bulge" for the Olds/Pont style front suspension. Not like the Chevy at all. And, I say stick with the Pont. powertrain, although it will probly be more expensive. Or, an early Olds powertrain would be even more unique. Either way, go with a cast iron Hydramatic 4 speed automatic, if you can locate the parts up there in Canada. Wish my 51' Chevy Business Coupe looked like it bodywork wise. Good luck, eh! Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. oldy57

oldy57

Thanks for the positive comments and the input on the motor choice. I am not sure what I will do, small block Chev or big block Pontiac. The 389 that is available is a great motor. Strong running. I have not seen it but was told it is a good motor. I also know of a 283 stroked to 292, very well built and all new, never run. It is cheap. I also am getting a powerglide with 3500 stall converter, was in a 10 sec race car. It is free, have to pull it out of a 32 Ford and install a 700r.
    As for the wheels the Centerlines will go and I will find some vintage wheels and slicks. I love the look of white wall slicks. I am not sure if they would look good on this car. Anyone with photoshop who could mock it up with a few choices of wheels. Steelies with period 3 1/2" fronts, slots front and back, any other nice wheels.
    Today I put the front end on it, I have not seen it as a whole car. The first time I saw this car last summer the guy was stripping the paint on it. The front sheet metal was off. I do like the Pontiac look of it. I may put the rear trim back on. The stainless waterfall trim looks good. The fenders are nice, very small rust spots on a front lip. The bottom of both fenders were dented by the guyputting it on a trailer last summer. I am not sure how he did it.
    Next week I will be getting a lot if decals for it. They were paid for buy the guy who sold it to me and are being finished Monday. I have not seen the artwork but he says they are very period looking.
    It sits very high without a motor. I am not sure how low it will sit when finished.
    Tomorrow I will bring it outside for front, side and back pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

That's gonna 1 unique ride. Very cool. :cool:

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

the waterfall trim makes it distinctly Pontiac, glad to see you thinking of keeping it now...

22. havi

havi

Dang, you beat me to it! 1951 Pontiac business coupe gasser. I ended up settling on a '62 Fairlane instead. Great project you have there!

23. Play400

Play400

I sent oldy57 the original pictures of the car from when I first bought it til I sold it to the fellow who put the axle under it. Once he sees them I think he will consider putting the rear chrome back on. Car was in great shape, rear side windows open which I think is just a Pontiac thing. Only problem was I my 55 was getting away from being a driver and we decided to put an axle under it.

But that 51 is a great looking car!!

24. Play 400 lets see pics of the 55 with an axle under it. I've got one out in the garage that I'll be working on soon.....I'm between hip replacements now and sorta out of commision.

25. VERY cool....I have a '51 Chieftain.

26. wild willey

wild willey

Hey man, SWEEET car!!! You are a LUCKY MAN! I hope to aquire my own "Gasser style" car sooner than later!!!! Keep us all update on your progress.

27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Going from the rack and pinion deal to a straight axle now? I thought it drove good after you got done with it? It will be good either way . I might end up doing the same thing down the road , I have access to a straight axle. Maybe between me, you and Curly we'll all have straight axle 55 Pontiacs. Bill

28. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

no sbc ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    pontiac power ! !
    yessssssssssssss

29. Agreed...working on picking up a 421 and a 428 to throw under the bench for later use. I'm using a 400 Ponch with a Wenzler tunnel ram in my '55, Pontiac motors in Pontiac gassers are WAY cool.:cool:

30. truckdude1

truckdude1

I have to agree, keep it all Poncho, ad a nice tri-power GTO mill. I had a '51 Pontiac woodie wagon, man I miss that car, same color as your doghouse. I also had a '53 woodie in seafoam green. Be sure and find a hood ornament with the light up Chief to guide you down the road. This will be a really cool gasser if you save all the original trim. I hope the dash is still intact, they are pretty funky.