Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little help painting plastic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rice n Beans Garage, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Been wanting to paint some of the plastic trim on my Model A ?

O.K. I mean my daily driver Nissan Pick up, what have you used that sticks well, I can't really sand the plastic because it is textured.

Any info would be Great....

Thanks in advance

2. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

clean it really good with a good wax and grese remover and try not to paint pieces that are heavy wear ie; door panels, arm rests, ect. the better prep work you do the better it will stick. try to use paint made for interior vynal and plastic.

3. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I think Krylon makes a new paint specifically for plastic. You can get it at any hardware store and it works quite well

4. cafekid

cafekid

you want to clean the parts with a grease and wax remover and before you paint it you can spray alight coat of bulldog on the parts let it tack up and proceed with painting as usual (both can be had at your local paint supply both come in aerosol cans, and the bulldog can be had at your local wal mart)

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Plastic adhesion ?? promotor , you can get that in spray bomb form..

Dont sand it.. it will swell.and you will lose the grain.. wash really well with dish liquid and warm water.. NOT hot.. it will bring out the mold release agent in the plastic.. a light spray coat of adhesion promotor , let it flash and spray your color light coats at a time.... a paint dealer will have that product in spray bomb form..

6. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

Are you talking interior or exterior plastic?
    I have painted outside trim, like grilles, emblems, etc, as well as plastic interior parts.

Here are some tips either way...

Clean it really good with wax and grease remover then lightly - very lightly scuff it with a fine scuff pad or you can use 600 grit sandpaper - just enough to give the paint something to adhere to... clean it again and again - paint sticks best to a very clean surface.

Sometimes I would give the plastic a very quick wipe with a very clean, white rag and some lacquer thinner to soften it up for the first coat of paint, or spray it with a mist coat of lacquer thinner - this will soften the plastic a bit - don't touch it after doing this! You could also use an adhesion promoter - the kind you put in a spraygun, or Bulldog in a spraycan.

Then paint it with very light mist coats the idea is to "dye" the plastic vs. "paint" it.
    a thick coat of paint will chip easily, while a nice thin coat will not...

AB

7. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Sell it and drive an A daily.:cool:

8. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

SEM makes a whole line of interior plastic paints that have the proper gloss and adhesion capabilities.

If there has ever been any armor all on these parts, wash thoroughly with some VM&P Naptha thinner available at a Sherwin Williams store.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

1. Dawn dish detergent and water. One of the few detergents that removes silicates. It's also damn good dish detergent, thus should be mandatory for a gearhead's kitchen sink.
    2. Wax & grease remover in case there's something serious.
    3. Light scotchbrite scuff.
    4. Repeat either one of the wash steps to remove dust
    5. Paint

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

They sell an adhesion primer product called " Bulldog" at Oriellys around here. You are suppossed to be able to paint ay automotive surface at all with it even plastic and fabrics.

11. old bone

old bone
    from maine

Acetone reactivates the polymers...im sure all of the mold release wax that was never used anyway during the pressing of the door panels is gone by now....vynal spray paint is overrated use what you you want to re-surface..it's is not gonna' move that much for you to worry about:D

12. Keith English

Keith English

I sanded all the grain off of my dash down to the darker plastic, shot it with adhesive promotor, then a high build primer, a light sandin, paint and clear coat. shines like the outside of the truck. and has been this way for about 5 years.

13. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

I agree with most of this, but id use a tack cloth to get rid of all the dust, and probably use grey scotch brite. If its exterior paint, its a whole nother story.

14. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Thanks guys, it's for exterior and the tips will help, I never heard of Bulldog before but I will try it.

15. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

Bull dog is a very cool product, use a 1.3 or smaller, dont spray heavy coats as it could run and you will see the run through the paint, flash time is about 10 to 15 min and then base right over it. it will never come off or chip.