Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Going to Korea, need a builder!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ben Lester, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ben Lester

Ben Lester
    from Altus, OK

Ok HAMB I need your help! Long story short, I’m in the Air Force and got orders to Korea; my follow-on assignment is Japan. I’ve been overseas for the last 14yrs and waiting for the day I could build my model A. It looks like I won’t get that chance and rather then waist the money on storage fees I want to find a builder. I don’t have a lot to put on the project but I’ve been able to collect most of the parts needed. Can anyone point me in the direction of a shop in the south Georgia/north Florida area? I need someone I can trust to do me right and be able to finish the project in about a year. I don’t want a show car but I want a nice safe daily driver I can ship to Japan. Can anyone help me out?

2. Ben Lester

Ben Lester
    from Altus, OK

btt...can anybody point me to a garage/builder?

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Moggy, i'm sure someone will have the answer.

C'mon guys! If moggy can spend all this time serving the good ol USA, surely someone in that neck of the woods knows a garage.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. redhumphries

redhumphries

I'm in charlotte nc call me at the shop and we can talk. Heck I met my wife while I was in Korea 39 years ago and still going strong. RED 704-509-6397

5. Ben Lester

Ben Lester
    from Altus, OK

Thanks!! I'll try and call tomorrow around lunch...I appreciate it!

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

pm sent as well

7. Ben Lester

Ben Lester
    from Altus, OK

I'm SOL for a time and trailer, anyone south Georgia/north Florida

8. Am in Japan right now. where is your follow to Japan?? Yokota?? If Misawa, I would not advise taking car there, too long of winter... where in Korea BTW, I get there occasionally, hopefully Osan, just for something to do. Not alot going on in Kunsan.

Be advised, if your single, your only allowed one vehicle registered to your name. Yokota rules.. If married, your probably OK with two vehicles. Would be nice to have a daily bomb to drive..

Any Q's I may be able to answer....

9. zman is trustworty and does nice work^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10. vintage tin werks

vintage tin werks
    from Md

Reds is honest and will do the work correctly

11. Red is the man.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

We can probably get it, got a buddy in ATL that has to come this way. Could probably get it hauled for gas money.

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

My advice, building via phone and wire transfer is more stress than it's worth unless the specific car has value to you (your grandpa's model A, etc). For what you wanna do just buy a complete car, there's a zillion model As to be had and surely one fits your style perfectly.

It may seem more expensive, but it's not. And if you don't have the money to buy a complete driver, you don't have any business shopping a pro build, even a basic one. But honestly, a "daily driver" that's getting shipped overseas ain't a basic build. It may not have a high level of finish, but will have to be thoroughly right otherwise.

Good luck!

14. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I VOTE for zman .

Then I can watch as it comes along,

maybe get a glimpse of it from time to time...

15. my respects to you for serving the country....and to those who can help him out

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have to disagree just a bit. Pics, video, lots of ways to keep the customer abreast of what is going on. I have two in the shop right now that we are doing over distance. One is a pretty strict budget of how much the guy wants to spend a month. Yeah it can be a little more than buying someone else's already done car, but it also allows you to dictate what you want and be comfortable that you won't have to redo someone else's work.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thanks for being over there, and stay safe.

18. Dice

Dice
    from Marion, TX

I did 5 tours in Korea during my Air Force career. 4 at Osan (3 in RED HORSE and 1 at 7th Air Force) and 1 at Taegu. I shipped a '64 Vette to Osan in '04. Man those Koreans didn't know what to think about that car! A 40 year old car without rust was too unbelievable to them. :)

Don't worry about having your car built while you're overseas. We have 2 in our shop right now for guys that are overseas. We send updated pics and email regularly without any problems.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

There's some good builders in this thread, with valid points. I guess it comes down to what you're building.

Where I'm coming from......last month brought home the very first pro-built roller of my life. It's been a nearly 3 year process. The reason I shopped it out was to have exactly what I wanted, built to a higher standard than I could do it myself. Ask the guys that built it, they'll tell ya I'm an exacting bastard with specific reasons for everything.

They'll also tell ya that's a little different than a lot of customers. A lot of customers are looking for a "product of the shop". That's different than "hiring a craftsman". They're buying a product, I'm seeking a process. Subtle difference....does it make any sense??

Anyway, last year of build I had to move 2 states away. Gawd that year sucked. It was in incredibly talented hands, and it turned out great, but that is not how a car should be built. Detached. And honestly, there are details I'd change if I'd have been there day-to-day, even though it's awesome as-is.

This is the long way of saying, if you're the kinda person that's seeking the product. And you're not gonna be around much..........just buy one already built by a talented builder. Enjoy it now instead of building forever & ever.

Before somebody chimes in and accuses me of railroading business away.....By sustaining the market for that level of car, you are also supporting the craftsman that build them.

Good luck and thanks for what you do

20. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Would also be willing to talk to you. Call anytime. Ted 352 588 9621

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

22. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

sent you a p.m.

23. redhumphries

redhumphries

funny noone hardly posted on this until I asked him to call me at the shop I was only wanted to talk to him and find out his expectations in the car It maybe better for him to buy one already finished I have sent people that way in the past and it has worked out. at least now some are trying to help him with what he wants.MY job is done. RED

24. redhumphries

redhumphries

thanks for the confidence don and jessie it does count when other builders that have been in this business for over 40 years like what you do. Come see me guys. Don I got hold of the man from seatlle and he is thinking about the 34 sedan if I can get it for a good price. RED

25. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Hay I'll help with the moving if needed I'm in north Ga let me know.thanks Tim

26. Ben Lester

Ben Lester
    from Altus, OK

Sorry, I couldn't call today i'ts been crazy at work. Thank you for offering to help, after seeing the thread tonight I can't believe the response it's a little overwhelming. I'd appreciate any advise you can give me.

Ben

27. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Korea sucks. Even Osan. Watch out the first time you drink Soju.

28. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Zman has got my vote. Never met him, but we have been sparing here on the hamb for a while. He knows his stuff, and others speak highly of him!

29. Customs&Color

Customs&Color

Mills & Co. in Marietta, GA
    (770)419-1933
    www.millscustoms.com

you should try them and they're fairly close,same state anyway

30. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Osan Korea, the best kept secret of the Air Force. I was there in 1970-71. Was working the Main Gate, the day the hookers rioted. Seems there was a difference of opinion in regards to product pricing.