Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone sold overseas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chambies, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Ha ha ha, Striper your killing me...Right on!

2. A BONED

A BONED

Bought an improved A coupe from St Louis Misouri last September. I bought when the Aussie dollar was at a high, it was almost 1 for 1 to the US dollar. Three months later the Aussie dollar died in the ASS, the same Rod would have cost me 10 clams more.

It was a easy enough to arrange, except the wait for the coupe to get here drove me nuts. There's quite a big hot rod scene in Australia, you guys States side would be surprised.

Boner :)

Attached Files:

3. Shane T.

Shane T.

Sent my pickup to Finland last year. Flawless transaction.
    Shane T.

4. Where abouts does one go (Web Sites) to List a car for sale to European buyers? I'm going to put my '55 DeSoto hardtop with a 2x4 Adventurer Hemi on the Block, when I get home in 2 months...

5. impala1968

impala1968

Shane T : Your pickup was really hot!!! I took it out from container. Only problem was that I'm too tall to fit behind the wheel. Guy who bought it took it to first ride to other side of the Finland, some 350 miles.

345 DeSoto: just list Your car to Hamb, hundreds of europeans are reading this. If shipping is needed I think I can help.

6. Impala1968 - Thanks for the info...

7. Shane T.

Shane T.

Yeah at 5'8" (on a good day) it fit me OK. Has he taken the seat riser out of it yet? That should have gained him a couple of inches at least. Thanks for the compliment. Sure do miss that truck.... but she has a good home now.
    Shane T.

8. marioD

marioD

9. bcfordman

bcfordman
    from cortez co

hi steadyt , sounds like a guy a guy I did a deal with on a 36 3w , steve nutt from shelton wa , I was living in australia at the time ,never saw the car ,him or my money again , bill

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've sold 3 deuces in Portugal, England, and Japan. I always use bank wire transfers. (hard to hide but secure) Then I let the buyers export agent make the shipping arangements. I do tell them that I will only release the car to an inclosed transport. I provide a VIN tag on the car with a title and notrized bill of sale. Never had any problems so far.

11. speedy pete

speedy pete

I sold a 29 roadster to guy in France. No problems he arranged for everything. He had a dedicated cargo container out of the port of Miami. Sent me a video of when he picked it up drove it 600 miles first day he had it. Key is wire transfer direct to your bank before you let it go.
    Pete

12. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I just sold my truck to someone in England. I asked him to call me and so far, nothing. I am crossing my fingers.... I guess a person could get just as burned from someone who lives in the same town.

13. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I figured as much. The UK fella wrote and said he was bidding for a friend. Saw how much the shipping was and changed his mind. It makes me want to go to england and junk punch him. "Sorry about that mate"

14. I've shipped two to Germany, and two from Germany. Not a big deal. Yes, the Europeans, the Aussies, the Kiwis, the Scandinavians, and the Brits are all good buyers of quality US cars and parts. I lived in Europe for three years and got to know quite a few German and Brit US car guys and gals. Yes, they are every bit the fans that we are; and yes, most are quite knowledgeable about what they want and what to look for in a US car. Believe me, with the money they have to spend to bring one in, plus transportation, tariffs, duties, registration, inspection, and the road taxes they pay, they aren't going to buy junk.

15. Hey guys why do you think the prices are so high when we want to buy a nice car here ??? Your sending all the good stuff over their !!!! Wake up guys!!!

16. They are going to CASH buyers, whether here or overseas. To me, it does not matter where the car or truck goes. Cash is cash. The overseas buyer is probably much more appreciative than the average US or Canadian buyer is!

Believe it or not, when (if) the US Dollar gets stronger, the tide will turn, and you will see US cars and trucks coming back across the pond. It goes in cycles, just like everything else in life does.

17. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

I sold my Model A to a guy in Japan and went to my bank to see what the best was to handle the dough.Turned out the banker was a car guy and told me something I never knew.He said that wire transfers can be cancelled within 24 hours,so, make sure you do not let anyone pick up the car before you are positve the money is in your account.He set up a new seperate account for me and when 24 hours was up he closed that account and put it in my regular savings.He also told me some pretty scary stories of people getting screwed.Hey,most car guys are OK but cover your ass just in case.Check with your bank,I'm sure they can help you the same way.

18. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Well I had a guy get ahold of me about my '36 Chevy, he's from Nigeria, said he got a check for $5000, told me to cash it and send him back the change with the car. I think it's a great deal!:D lol...

There is a guy who comes from Sweden to this tractor swap meet we go to up in Minnesota who buys from us quite a bit, has everything loaded up in a container and shipped back. He's a nice guy, and doesn't really haggle with you on prices. He's a good fella.

19. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Yes i have to Finland,and Germany...Best sales i have ever made,easy, no hassles, no haggling, no crying about this and that..
    Cash in hand car is gone.

20. Not in a couple years. He who sends the money first wins. Wire transfer usually. Of the four one guy never did pick the car up, just wanted the tags I guess, the others were all legit.

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I sold a car to a gentleman in Germany. He was quite experienced in what to do, and how to do it. Seamless and pleasurable. I was surprised to hear what they have to go through over there to get a modified car licensed/titled. There has to be some 'historical' significance, but that requirement seems to be satisfied if you can prove that it's not a 'new build'. Doesn't make sense to me - but that wasn't the question here. My answer is that working with someone who knows how do complete the transaction is a major plus.

dj

22. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

I have sold many cars overseas, I sell about 8-10 cars to Australia every year, I have the ability to get the vehicles to the ports or load at my shop... bank transfers are the best, after selling a few to the Europeans it became a lot easier, because of my experience loading or shipping to the ports, Not a big deal... I haul a lot to the port in Long Beach CA, and many to Savannah GA, & Jacksonville FL
    racinman Rick

23. Just Sold my 50 Wayfarer to a guy down under the east side, he wired money and is arranging shipping, my buddy who transport's california is picking up and dropping at the port, I have sold vw 'sto belgum, japan, uk, and canada and austraila before...as well as buying and driving vintage vw's into the usa from canada, no problems. , to get out of usa, the title papers has to be in order, any with it, or slight differance..pain in the butt

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009