Register now to get rid of these ads!

What ever happened to Moonglow?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Feb 28, 2009.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Anybody know what happened to Moonglow? Is it still around and in one piece? Or is it gone forever? Without a doubt one of the nicest 54s.
    Dom

2. pastlane

pastlane

Read in one of the rod magazines years ago that it got scrapped errr... recycled.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

From what I read, Steck traded Moonglow for a sportscar. Later, a friend (perhaps Duane's brother?) saw the car at a wrecking yard, and was able to remove one of the blue plexiglass vent windows as a souvenier, before the car was crushed. :(

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the car was junked..........

hard to believe...but sadly its true..

the entire car was built in his driveway by duane steck,,
    he never built another custom after that,,hard to believe too, after building the most iconic 54 chevy ever..........

5. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

It went off to Kustom Heaven, along with the Matranga Merc, Watson's Grapevine, and some other kustoms that I wish were still around.

Duane Steck built the Moonglow in his driveway and chopped it with his brother. He painted it white originally, then had Watson redo it later on a few different times...as well as changing the body mods around a little bit.

He then traded it in the late '50s/early '60s for either a Porsche or some other sports car...can't remember exactly. Steck's brother saw the Moonglow on Terminal Island in Long Beach ready to be crushed and grabbed the blue plexiglass vent windows out of it.

Rikster can fine tune my story here :)

6. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Damn...you guys are either really fast, or I type too slow. shit.

7. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Wow, never knew it was junked. It was strange to me that it was never talked about in the present sense. Man that's a shame!

8. poorboy

poorboy

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

10. Seems to me that when it was scrapped it was just an old car and an old custom, so it was a hard seller, so that's why it ended up junked.

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Sitting here on a Saturday night with my 51 vert just below me in my garage and reading the info in the link. Amazing! Like so many others have said, there is something about that car that is just so exclusive to it. There have been clones yet no one has matched the aura of the original. Hard to imagine that this absolute beauty of a car was built in his driveway! If only I could do half as well..

12. aceuh

aceuh

It's hard to fathom that this jewel ever sank to such a state that it was doomed to a trip through the crusher.....

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

as hard to believe as it is there was a time when customs weren't worth anything.the moonglow got caught in that window and was gone.just like that!fortunately it spawned a flood of moonglow inspired tribute cars and a few clones.

14. customs 4 life

customs 4 life
    from AZUSA CA

Sadly it's true duane stecks moon glow went to the bone yard as did many customs of that era larry watson painted it in the 50's man what acar to clone.