Register now to get rid of these ads!

Black paint + Pearl or ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Mar 3, 2009.

1. I'm still focused on painting my '51 Merc though Gene Winfield suggested I do 1955 Buick Maroon hehe.

I'm not sure how to describe what I want, but here goes. What do you call paint that has another color in it, ie. black + gold?

My father in law suggested 1983 Jaguar sable, which I guess is black with a little gold in it.

Learn me!:D

2. oneshotkustoms

oneshotkustoms
    from joliet il

you want a tri stage paint 1st black base then a gold power pearl in some sg100 then clear over that !!!!! I think thats what u want !!!!! im a painter and thats how I would do it. hope this helps

3. Listen to Gene:D

4. Do some test panels.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Gene is right, do it in Titian Red. :cool:

There is nothing uglier than black paint with gold pearl. Unless you like a quasi-vomit color green/gold....

I really don't care for ANY color that is "almost black" or "looks like black in some angles." Either paint it BLACK, or paint it a COLOR. I think super-dark shades are a detraction. And of course, this is just my opinion. Which you asked for. :D

FYI... this is Sable. More like a brown.

[​IMG]

6. Dang, I have a pair of sweat pants the same color of that Jag, yikers.

What about fire mist green or something goldish like Gene's old Merc?

I'm all over the place.

7. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

Saturns had a color a few years back (1998-2000ish) that was a black with a teeny gold flake. Black 90% of the time but in full sun- POW!

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

IMO Black is the only color for a Merc, There was a Sable colored Merc on here for sale a couple of months ago from Australia I think and it was nice but not for me!

9. HAHAHA. Straight black would look great. Check out Dreadmans post and see the paint going on his coupe. You can't really go wrong with Black if the body work is up to snuff. I would say definitely go a dark color. IMO you have gone to too much trouble making it a traditional custom to paint it something light.

10. I'll check out Dreadman's thread Ian thanks. My body guy got the bezels btw, thanks again.

1955 buick maroon = titian red? That titian color rings a bell, what famous car was talked about that is that color?

11. Great I'm glad they arrived.

What happened with the hubcaps?

Titian red was used on tons of customs in the 50's . Matranga merc, Bettancourt merc

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yep! Like I said, Black. That car is awesome and the color makes it that much better!

14. I'm waiting on a final price on the hubcaps and then sending the guy a postal money order. I'm excited about them, I always wanted to see if they would look nice in person.

Black is gangsta, so I like it, but I like to keep options open.

15. Man you are going to have to make a decision soon!!

16. I had a, probably, '80 Suziki motorcycle. That bike had the deepest black I ever saw. When it was waxed it looked like it was 10' deep. Never seen another color like that before or since.

17. MattyB

MattyB

Black with a gold pearl isn't completely ugly, there are far worse colors out there. I painted my car black with a gold pearl and when it was clean it looked amazing, had a lot of depth. But if it was the slightest bit dirty it would look like the car had a haze or pollen.

18. jangleguy

jangleguy

Sorry, it's gotta be deep black - the end.
    Thanks for posting the shots of Flamed A Bone's Merc - I knew nothing of this car! Been BSing with him for years and had no idea (we always talk drag racing). This has to be one of the prettiest chopped Mercs I've ever seen! Maybe my all time favorite. Killer...

19. pic from the Thaw

Not gold, but Maroon....

Both HOK and PPG make a series of transparent colors/pearls/metallics designed to go over black.

The finely ground Mica's (gold pearl/blue/ pearl/sunset red pearl)over straight black would be a little weird- they are milky when dissolved in clear, and would change the overall color from black to something kind of muddy.

I've seen the blue and gold mica pearls over black and it is kind of a cool effect- but something more for fun and not for such a classy car as yours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Oneshotkustoms up there answered your question. My only grief is that pearls don't show up that well over a dark base. To achieve the look a little bit better, you might need to use an ultra mini flake instead. Depends how heavy you would want the gold to show up.

Thats neither here nor there. The car needs to be one solid color, period. No metallic, pearl, two-tone anything. One color. Be it black or darm maroon, but one color. The other thing is, do it in single stage. Abone's and Dreadman's were both done in base clear and while they look great, it doesn't hold a candle to a real lacquer job. Single stage doesn't look like a real lacquer job either, but it comes alot closer. For any solid dark color, single stage is where its at.

21. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Black with pearl or metalic look grey UGLY

22. Single stage? I'll talk to my body shop guy about that.

23. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

If you want a good black with gold look at current toyota colors, they have some very nice blacks with just a tinge of gold, red, and other pearls added. They do not look hazy, dirty, gray, or anything else but good. If you decide on plain old black use single stage, it looks much deeper. Base clear is ok but the clear tends to hide the black, the more coats of clear the duller the black will be.

The toyota black is not a tri coat the pearl is added to the black base, it looks black in low light but in direct light or sunlight it will pop and look amazing, I think this is just what you might be looking for.

24. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

black needs to be black, no pearl, no metallic, cause there's nothing nicer than a black car when done right. and by that i mean laser straight body work, wet sand the clearcoat till you have no more fingerprints, and buff till it's smooth and shiney as glass. sikkens makes a basecoat called jet black, and it's the blackest black i have ever seen. just be prepared to clean it as much as you drive it! anyone who's ever had a black car can testify to that. and just for the record, if gene winfield told me my car would look good a certain color, i would really have to give it serious consideration. that's my story and i'm stickin' to it!

25. customs 4 life

customs 4 life
    from AZUSA CA

black with pearl allways looks good although i would not use gold pearl it gives a dirty apperence blue or violet pearl looks great keep in mind use very small amount or you will wind up very disspointed also you can go to www.house of kolor.com to learn more fyi i have done many black pearl paint jobs so i know what iam talking about.

26. brandon

brandon

black base, charcoal or blue pearl, blue candy then clear....:D the then new in 1990-whatever saturn also had a blue /black saphire.....it too was a neat color....not a big fan of the black gold saturn color....but thats just me.....

27. Yea, Black Sand Pearl. My 2006 Tacoma was that color. Sweet color like he said and it looked black ALL the time except under direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

Sorry it's OT, but just so you can get an idea. It highlights body curves and such in direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

But otherwise it's straight black.

28. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Pink!

Then letter "Love Missile" on the trunklid

29. RodStRace

RodStRace

My 2 cents is Black with nuttin' else, first. There are very few Black with something that looks anything but dirty. If it's straight enough for Black, do that!
    The period customs favored medium to dark cool earth tones; Greens, Maroons, etc.
    Gotta agree too with the other poster that said if Gene says a color, that's pretty good advice.
    You can look at a ton of pictures here or on google image search too, so you can get an idea what floats your boat.
    http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&q=1949+merc

30. 23skidoo

23skidoo
    BANNED
    from tha south

for someone who has stated they are building a "pre-55 custom" many times,

it sure does sound like you are asking way to many questions!:D