Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice on model a visor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, Feb 28, 2009.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Not sure how to get my visor installed.
    Here are some pics of what I am dealing with trying to put a steel roof in my model A sedan.
    Not sure if I should try to leave the visor at the original height or bring it up a little bit to tie into the new roof.
    Not even sure how it used to be attached except for the holes on the sides.
    I have a new one coming so I am trying to use the old one as a template for whatever I have to do to make it look right.
    I don't know how to take care of the gaps at the corners.
    Any pics of how someone else did theres would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

hey buddy! hows the roof comin along? my visor has screw holes all along the top, and the side holes also....I think you should graph visor in with the roof..........GL

3. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

looks like you are also missing the original front roof piece, which would take up most of the gap ya got .....

4. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I want to graph the visor into the roof just not sure how to take care of the corners.
    I need advice and pictures.

5. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I might have the original piece but I am not sure what it looks like.
    You got any pics.

6. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I think it would work better if mabe the visor was raised up to the top of the horizen of the roof line and metal work the roof line strait to match up with the top. the visor looks like it is 1 1/2 too low compared too the roof line from side view. if the visor is at the hight that you want it then it looks like you may need to cut the corners of the structure and add filler panel but that may not look correct. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] this is a 1930 model a visor on a 1930 model a

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

In the pictures it is just a little bit above the original place it goes, but if I raise it up very much then I have a gap between the top of the header panel and the visor.
    Dirybyrd says I am missing a piece and I am not sure what that is.
    It looks like originally the visor hit the header panel just below the top of the header panel.
    I agree it need to be brought up to the top of the header just not sure how to deal with the corners.
    Am I missing another piece?

8. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

do you still have the email i sent with pics of my 29???

9. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

No I deleted them I am a dumbass.
    Went back and looked at pictures from when I first brought it home and I couldn't remember but the pics show the visor was laying inside so i probably don't have that piece(great).

10. Glen

Glen

it looks like you are missing a small trim piece that runs across that header panel. It is a crown like piece that screwed down onto the header panel and nailed down onto the wood.
    You might be able to see it in this picture. It is maybe 1" tall at the center and tapers off on the side.

You are going to have to make some filler pieces on the corners, you can see the large gap between on the corners in picture 2 and 4......... I hope these pictures help. (these pics are a 31 visor on a 29.)

Attached Files:

11. budd

budd

is that a model-a visor?, doesnt look like the mounting holes on the side are the same spaceing as the holes in your visor. what year model-a?

12. Glen

Glen

the first picture shows that eyebrow filler piece. I welded my visor to the top of that piece, they have the same curve.

Attached Files:

13. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Yes it's the original visor but I have it clamped above its original location in the pics.
    29 Sedan
    Thanks for the pics glen maybe you ould hop on a plane and come make the filler pieces for me LOL.
    Is your visor at the original height or did you raise it up some?

14. the piece you are missing is often called an "eyebrow". i see them missing on a lot of `28-`29's and i don't think they look right without them

Snyder's sells them in fiberglass and steel , you probably want a steel one

15. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I see the radius piece you were talking about I guess mine disappeared sometime in the last 80 years.

16. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thanks 3window I will look and see if I can find one.

17. Glen

Glen

It is in the stock location but it is a 31 on a 29. Look at the blue model A above and compare it your visor, you can see how yours wraps around the A pillar.

That small eyebrow piece was welded to the headerin the stock location. THen I welded my 31 visor to the eybrow in the stock location just like you would do your 29.

Just start shaping metal. Put a piece of round pipe in the vise and start hammering a piece of metal over it. You will throw away a few pieces...then get one that you like.

18. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I found one at snyders they call it a header cover.
    I think it covered up the original wood above the windshield.
    I didn't even know there was wood above the windshield I thought the wood was probably inside the windshield header.
    No wonder nothing lines up.
    Thanks guys I knew someone here could help me out and turns out several did.
    The new one is $145.00 and says it is handmade so some work will have to be done to it, not sure what that means but I guess I will have get one and see.

19. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I guess when the wood rotted away that piece fell off somewhere along the way.
    I am surprised I got the visor at all but it is pretty wavy so I ordered a new visor.
    Glad I didn't start cutting anything yet could have screw myself not knowing there was a piece missing.
    Thanks Again.

20. jick

jick
    from london

what perfect timing!
    i'm having exactly the same issue with my 29 coupe at the moment, i'm missing that header panel too. they turn up on ebay quite often for a bit less than $145..might be worth a try.
    the detail shots on here are so helpful, particularly yours Glen, thats EXACTLY what i plan to do with mine.
    cheers...jick

21. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Okay I just ordered a new one from snyders I hope it isn't to hard to put in place there explanation says it is hand made and will require some finishing.
    If it turns out half as good as glens I will be happy.
    Thanks for all the help
    The wife is a little frustrated with me because I just got a complete rearend in yesterday from Pete & Jakes and that ran me $2800.00.
    Probably won't be getting anything else for awhile.

22. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

on my 29 I used a 31 visor with minor fitting.I welded it in so it blends in to top well.sorry cant do pics.

23. Nocero

Nocero

I'd look for a good stock visor before ordering a reproduction if you are filling the roof. I tried an aftermarket and the fit was terrible. The stock one is stamped out of one piece and the aftermarket is split and welded. Kind of leaving a peak rather than a compound curve.

24. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Hate to hear that I already ordered a repop visor on ebay should be here on monday.
    My original was pretty wavy and I couldn't get it back straight.
    The pictures I seen of it look good not sure where they would have split it.
    Maybe I should have looked around a bit more for one.
    We'll see

25. Nocero

Nocero

Take a look when you get it you'll see what I'm talking about The lip on the front is also thicker which I didn't like. It would probably work fine on a car you didn't plan to fill the roof on. I tweaked and tweaked and still could not get it to where I was happy with it and had messed with it too much to send back.
    I ended up selling it to my neighbor for $40 at a $100 loss and found a nice straight stocker on evil bay for $90. I'd send it back if you can and find a stock one. I'm finding that alot of the aftermarket parts I have bought are not getting used they need such extensive rework.

26. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

I made a filler for above the viser just shaped out of 20 gauge. I'm doing a roof insert like a '32. My viser was a repo from MACS and is all one piece no welds anywhere on it. The visor still bolts on from underneath and the sides.

Try to make it so the visor still bolts in like stock. If you weld the visor to the roof you can't slide the whole windsheild frame off the car. If you ever have to replace a windsheild down the road its a hell of a lot easyer when you can pull the frame off the car rather than splitting the windsheild frame on the car and installing new glass.

[​IMG]

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

If your talking 28-29 A..I have pictures of everything you need..and how it goes together..just went thru this on my Tudor..and it is still at the point where i can take pictures to show you everything..If your interested Pm me

BTW i am using all original parts, and am planing on making my roof back to looking stock

28. WTF? Never seen an aftermarket one made outta 2 pieces.

29. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I guess i will find out monday.

30. throttlein

throttlein

I have a 29 model a header piece I would sell for 50.00 if anyone needs one. The small 1" piece that tapers down on the ends. Good shape.