Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight Chop Saw

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poofus1929, Feb 24, 2009.

1. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I am trying to tool up my home shop, and I need a chop saw. Right now HF has a 14 inch chop saw on sale for 64 bucks. It is the orange and silver Chicago Model. I have never bought a power tool from HF. Does anybody have one of these? Is it any good? I have only used Dewalt and Ryobi in the shops I have worked in. I have no experience with the HF ones.

2. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Look on Craigs list for a better quality used one if you don't want to pay big bucks for a good one. I would pass on it myself.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

See if Home Deput still has the 12" makita on sale for $99 first. Then try a pawn shop second, then craigslist third..................And harbor freight dead last.

4. joes54woodchevy

joes54woodchevy

6t4 bucks thats a dead give away:( garbage yea try craig list..:D

5. unkamort

unkamort

I know their stuff gets a bad rap, but I bought one several years ago... been through around a dozen disc with it. Had to change the brushes once (came with a spare set) other than that, no problems.

6. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

not sure on the hf model. We have one made by rock solid it was $88 and it works good

7. ct

ct
    from minnesota

I like Craigs for the the used tool option. I've bought a lot of tools off of CF. Plus, it helps support your local economy.

8. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

I have one, it sucks. Havent used it in years, bought another drop/bandsaw off craigslist. The are deals out there, its just finding them

9. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

look at Your hands...cool , ain't they?

now imagine if one was missing a couple didgits.

or just missing.

I would avoid ye old chop saw of doom and buy a Milwaukee, DeWalt, or if You want a real bad sumbitch, Buy a metabo.(but I think they cost about the same mount of cash as a down payment on a condo in the Keys.)

10. HF sells refurbished stuff, some is good but the Chicago isn't very good for heavy stuff. They do give you a warranty and don't question returns. I like the pawn shop but used electrical stuff is a crap shoot, no warranty from a pawn shop or Craigs list.

11. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Another place to check out is business auctions. I know it's not nice to think about it but in the current economic situation there is going to be a lot of businesses liquidating and there probably won't be as many people bidding either. I bough a like new Milwaukee last spring for $30 at an auction, no one bid against me.

12. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

I fear for my life every time I see one...even unplugged

Remember, if its orange, RUN AWAY

13. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Lots of good input here. Thanks guys

14. superglide

superglide

if you do buy from HF make sure you get the extra warranty. that way WHEN it breaks you can get another one.

15. ma70tt

ma70tt

i have a $99 one from the local home supply store, i think its called pro tech. had it for at least ten years with no problems whatsoever.

16. INXS

INXS

I have a 14" Clarke that I got at Tractor Supply for about $75. It replaced another cheapie that lasted about 6 years of abuse before the trigger fell apart. I'd like a Milwaukee but it does the job.
    The Forney cut off wheels are worth the money. Don't buy the China ones.

17. budd

budd

i bought a new milwaukee abrasive chop saw years ago and used the hell out of it, still works great, about 6 months ago i bought a new milwauke dry cut chop saw and it the cats ass, cuts like butter, clean with almost no clean up, then two days ago i guess i didnt have a piece of angle iron clamped in tight enough and it riped out and took off a bunch of the carbide teeth, my own falt, still cuts like butter though, the moral of the story is they cost more up front but there cheaper in the end, i bet i could sell both for dam near what i paid.

18. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

I got ma dads old Black & Decker ( Before dewalt) when he died. I've used that chop saw since I was 10 or so. It finally died last year.......

I saw the Grey HF chop saw on sale for $90 or so. Cut up one model A frame and the brushes were gone, but I was in luck it came with another set. Like they knew that they were going to wear out before I lost the new brushes........
    Wore the second set out on the 46 ford pickup frame I built.......

At this point I went to my local industral supply store and got me a Milwaukee, that did not come with extra brushes, it was only $60 more than I spent on the HF POS......(I did get a close out model)

I had forgot how much torque a real chop saw had. I strongly suggest you save up and get a real one, just my $.02.

19. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I have that chop saw and i like it. I've only used it on 2x2 and other metal around that same size and it works great.

Ian

20. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

I just picked up a Milwaukee 6175 for $75.00 off of Craigslist,Clist is my tool store of first choice.

21. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

works great for about a year then you can buy another one or upgrade.

we got 2 one for me and one for my brother they both went shitty after about a year.

22. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I don't know about their chop saws but their radial tile wet saw is bad ass. If it wasn't for a friend telling me about it i would not have bought it. My dad and I both said that "we would never have bought that piece of shit but damn that's a nice saw"!

If they offered several chop saws I might would get their top of the line one and go from there. but like stated you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a name brand one for a few dollars more.

23. flatford39

flatford39

I have an ancient black & decker that refuses to die. You can still buy parts for it easily on line. I paid $30.00 for it used years ago & it just putters along.

I think the key thing I am trying to say here is that my B&D has replacement parts readily availble. The HF unit that I have seen advertised as low as $39.99 doesn't have the same back up for finding replacement parts. It is a disposable machine.

24. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

It really doesn't like 2x3 and 2x4- 3/16 wall steel tubing at all.......

If you were closer I'd give you another one....I can't bring myself to toss it...I guess I should order a case of brushes. LOL

25. rogmoseley

rogmoseley

don't get it. Used one my buudy bought last year, and i built him a chasis,,,,clumsy ,poor power, hard to change angle etc. No comparison to a name brand,,,, rog moseley, akron oh.,,, 29 a coupe,,, haven't done intro yet.

26. JRRoberts

JRRoberts
    from Madison WI

I have a Milwaukee 6175-6 14'' chop saw that works great. It was something like $159...

I'd stay away from the HF stuff, buy something that will last.

Pick up some Dewalt Bar cutter blades and you'll be set.

27. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

28. i have a HF model-it does good -I had a milwaukee until a buddy decided to lean on it to make it cut square tube in 4.2 seconds and burnt it up-the HF is what I got for my troubles I still have it but not THAT buddy I also have a that hand held band saw for cutting motorcycle frames and frame horns it is a HF also sometimes you get lucky with the cheap stuff if used properly helps too .Still trying to save up for my 3 dueces intake & carbs

29. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

I just got the same Harbor Freight one and built a frame with it and for the money it worked great.

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

buy a good used one if your on a budget..(quality one)
    or spring for the good one out of the gate, you'll be glad you did in the long run, especially if you plan on using it more than 10 times.