Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you drive your old car daily?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stizzealth, May 9, 2008.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Well, living in Texas, we don't have a lot of seasonal weather issues around here, so that's definitely not the problem, but right now my car won't pass inspection, so I don't drive it that far away from my house, and so I haven't had it on the road long enough to know what's going to be a problem.

2. Actually, I drive my '55 (avatar) everyday if I can. I'm putting in a new engine now. When I finish my '57 Nomad I'll park it for more upgrades, axle, big block, hilborns.....

3. irace2win41

irace2win41

Sold my 2001 Dually. Now this is my daily...

[​IMG]

4. Finktim

Finktim

Every day, rain or shine since 2000. Before that I drove a big block 72' Chevelle every day for 9 yrs. I didn't have A/C in the coupe the first 4 years, and it was a bitch in the summer months I hafta' admit! Still don't have heat, but we don't have enough cold days here to worry about and there's plenty of engine heat coming thru the firewall within a few minutes of starting it!
    [​IMG]

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

I bought a new HHR Panel over a year ago as a hedge against skyrocketing gas prices. It has 3,952 miles on it as of today. It lives in the carport under a car cover while I drive my '64 El Camino "daily beater", even when the weather is bad. I'm glad I bought the HHR, it may yet serve the purpose for which I bought it, but that doesn't mean I have to drive it every day.

The HHR is a nice car and drives very well...but I perfer my lumpy old El Camino. The Elky has a stock 283, Powerglide and AM radio, but none of the fancy stuff like power steering, power brakes, bucket seats, air conditioning and all. It's a very basic car that's fun to drive because it is basic. It doesn't, as somebody said early in this thread, "suck your brains out when you drive it" like a new car does.

Surprisingly I get a lot of attention with the car, even though it's not even close to show quality...I call it a "beater" for a reason. The most attention I get is when it's loaded to the roofline with old car parts on the way to a swapmeet...nobody wants to buy my parts, but they all want to buy the Elky! :cool:

Attached Files:

6. I used to but I need to drive a truck for work so I drive an '04 Dodge now, although the truck is pinstriped hood and tailgate with our logo hand-painted on the doors. :D

Attached Files:

7. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

[​IMG]
    if the state didn't think i was such a good driver and take my license i would be still drivin this during winter. screw new cars i work on that junk all day long. The old ones m ake me smile at the end of the day when i climb into them to go home.

8. old 52

old 52

I drive my 52 olds 88 everyday, unless its in the act of snowing. All original, 6 volts, drum brakes and all. Wipers, radio, speedometer and fuel guage dont work. Its like riding on an old wooden roller coaster...

9. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Yes this is the car i go out and do bids in. I am a plumbing contractor here in calif

Attached Files:

10. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

my 67 mustang with a six for the past 23 years.
    i'm the second owner of the family owned ford.
    guess you can say it's seen a couple of generations of vehicles come and go.

11. Since 1984 i have never driven anything newer than a '72 model except for some heavy towing using a '84 Dually with a 3 car 48' trailer.
    Old cars are the best and that means for both work and play!

I can't wait to get my '59 Ford F-350 (replacing the '84 Chev dually) and '61 Safari finished to put to good use.

Steve
    <DIR>Hosting 11th annual Pontiac Heaven, show, swap, drags, party and all around good time. Saturday April 4, 2009 at Speedworld near Phoenix, Az
    more info- www.pontiacheaven.org
    Also hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap. Drags, cool car show, parade, special exhibitions, gassers, rails, stockers, customs and much more. coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az -This is Arizonas longest continuest running nostalgic event, our 7th year! www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
    </DIR>

Attached Files:

12. They run better and require less maintenece if you drive them regularly. If you can drive (not idle in your driveway or garage) at least a half an hour without turning the key off everything warms up, gets lubricated, etc. I drive my 66 Goat to work a couple of days a week, my 70 Benz roadster a couple of days also. I hadn't been driving the Benz more than 300 miles a year, it always seemed to need something, since I started driving it regularly about 9 months ago it hasn't needed anything - longest I've gone without a trip to the mechanic (can't do much to it myself). I drove it this morning.
    Unfortunatly, I seldom drive my Hot Rod to work, but it gets driven a lot on the week-end.

13. Mopar34

Mopar34

Nearly, especially from April thru October. But a lot less in winter. Absence of heat spoils the desire.:eek::D

14. coupla48s

coupla48s

'48 Chevy pickup, daily driver no matter what the weather, also tow vehicle for my Anglia race car, have put over 70,000 miles on it in the last 5 years.

Kevin in Seattle

Attached Files:

15. I sure do, just can't decide which one to hop in ! 49 Ford Coupe, 62 Merc Monterey 2dr hdtp, 59 Plymouth wagon, and my 69 VW single cab truck !

16. Gee, I thought I was supposed to drive my cars every day, kinda why they were made. I have never owned a new car, (wife gets them) and never will. My daily drivers are my 1960 El Camino and 1950 Ford business coupe. I just sold my other daily driver, a 1963 Studebaker Lark, v-8/4 speed car. The Elco and the Lark were my driving-to-the-SEMA show rides for years, so no-spin-around-the-block driving for them. Soon my 1953 Studebaker will be my daily driver, hopefully getting 30 miles to the gallon. How is that for an economy car!

17. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

hell ya i drive my old cars daily, 2 out of 4 run and i've never liked new cars.

one of them is an O/T, 1965 bug, i rebuilt it in 1999, still runs strong, i've been all over the state in that damn bug.

the primairy car is a 1955 chev. moredoor, i bought it in 2000, drove it as a stocker until nov. 06, then did a complete rebuild on it. Im on my 4th transmission i just installed the 4th last night and drove it to work today, doors and trunk rattle cuz theres no rubber seals in the doors/trunk right now, but that will change.....i love it, my next car to rebuild as another daily will be my 1953 ford ranchwagon......new cars suck....(well except one for the wife and kid..;))

here she is

Attached Files:

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

The newest vehicle I own is my '66 F-100. So yes, it's my daily driver, and I drive my '55 Delray and '53 Jet often.

19. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

If a 1967 f100 counts as old :)

20. The buick and the nova were year 'round drivers. Both are bone stock. The cool thing is that I sold the Nova to a 40 yr. old mom who still drives it every day in the neighborhood. (hear that Rocco?). I love to hear the "click" of the column shifter at a stop sign. She grew up on a farm and knows how to drive it well.

Attached Files:

21. Drove 70 Dart Swinger to work today.

22. 61TBird

61TBird

I drive it every chance I get.
    I'ts been my "daily" for the past month, putting 100 miles a day on it.
    It's been on trips from the SF Bay Area to Sacramento and back a few times.
    It has a couple of rattles,but nothing major.
    The heater doesn't work,one of the 1/4 windows likes to stick and the mufflers are rotted out(makes it sound cool!).
    It's stock with the 390 and Cruise-o-matic 3 speed trans. If I keep it below 70,I can get 20mpg.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. my kinda sorta not really Hamb friendly gets me to work every day....

Attached Files:

24. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Everyday i drive mine. 1956 Ford F100.

25. fordb132

fordb132
    from Norway

I dont have any newer car than the -40 coupe.Driven daily for the last 5 winthers in the northern part of Norway.I put a limited slip rear under it and a 289 ford engine.Never let me down.

Attached Files:

26. oxo

oxo
    from England

yup drive it everyday
    about twenty mile round trip rain,snow or shine(aint much of that here)after a crap day at work it`s great therapy!sure loads of you can relate to that.gets hot in the summer and freezing in the winter(no heater or demister)sure beats armchair drivin tho.be good folkes but if ya can`t be real bad!!, craig.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  27. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

For years I have commuted in an anonymous "maytag white" Nissan because I needed something "reliable" at the time. Nobody told me that part of the reason it gets such great mileage is because it slowly drains your soul for the real fuel it needs. I regarded it about as highly as the toaster I have on my kitchen counter... nothing more to me than a transportation appliance!

The day I got my Falcon I parked that thing in the carport and never looked back! Driving a classic every day might empty the tank in my car, but it fills the tank in my soul. It's the best feeling in the world!

Here's how it stands right now:

Attached Files:

28. I drive it a lot when the weather gets better. It's too dang snowy and salty here in the winter. I did drive it a lot one winter though.

29. c10addict

c10addict

Drive my 64 almost everyday while my 60k BMW demo sits in the driveway... My neighbors think something is wrong with me..

30. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

This is my daily (and only) driver. '62 Chevy C10. I've done a few things to it since the photo, but not much cosmetically. It's not too bad to drive daily. I figure it this way: I may spend some money keeping it on the road, but it's a helluva lot less than a new car payment each month.

[​IMG]