Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What was your 1st piece of Speed Equipmet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedwagen, Feb 21, 2009.

1. solid

solid

A fmf pipe, and silencer, with aftermarket reed valves. My first hot rod part was a eldebrock intake for my 289.

2. I was given a full race 59 AB out of a 40 Deluxe convertible because it "wasn't right"
    for the car anymore. Eddie Edmonds heads Isky Jr cam, Edelbrock intake two Strombergs and cast Fenton headers. Pretty cool motor to take to grade 10 shop class for sure! The older shop teacher was so stoked , I don't think I'd have had to show up again to get an A in his eyes. He had a very similar setup in high school in a 47 Ford coupe, kool guy!

3. gassman57

gassman57

Accel distributer with Echlin 'Gold' Points for my '68 Road Runner 440/6 pack....my car asked for them....she ruled !!!!

4. Back in 64 while rumaging through St Vincent Depauls basement I found a set of Fenton cast iron headers for a chev 6 for $5.00. took me another 4 years to get a car to put them on.

5. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Timing chain for a 400 SBC I broke it coming home from school .

6. Fenton Shifter, when I was 12, well just the shift lever, got it out of a wrecking yard, had my sisters boyfriend weld it on the shifter arm on my Cushman, jockey shift under the seat

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. A set of Hooker headers for my
    red 66 Mustang. 2 barrel 3 speed 289. I think
    I paid 110.00 1971 dollars for them.

8. rixrex

rixrex

Well, that would be a different sprocket,banana seat and saddle bags for my 26" Longhorn Schwinn..later, in 67, it would swapping a 235 for a 327 in the 55 and soon after that putting a Duntov 30/30 cam innit....

9. Handsome Hal

Handsome Hal

It was a Sun Tach and sending unit for my '55 Ford Ranch Wagon,next
    came a set of baby moons,white undercarrage and scavenger pipes
    and reversed shakels.

At 15 1/2 years of age, I lived the "if it don't go, chrome it" life style

10. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

49-53 Ford Flathead 8RT V8.

Happiest day of my life!!!:)

HC.

Attached Files:

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Weber cam for my 1947 Whizzer motor bike!!!-----Upped the speed to 35 MPH!!!!!

12. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

me too, with the matching dimmer switch too! on my 74 Dart Slant 6 Auto that I bought in 1996 with 14k miles for $800... damn I wish I still had that car, sold it for $3k after a year

13. My first car was a '62 VW Bug and had things pretty stock at first then lowered the front had big and littles added a header and dual exhaust, scat shifter, Kennedy clutch and pressure plate. It wasn't a racer but it got me around pretty quickly. Shoulda put some of that money into the brake system. Ran into a few things getting from point A to point B too fast. It was painted biege with purple metalic flames w/ magenta pinstripes on the hood and front fenders.:cool:

Attached Files:

14. In 1968 I had a '47 V8 sedan for my first car.
    First thing I did was put a twin carb manifold on it.....

15. Muttley

Muttley

Did you sell it to a guy in the Fresno area? I see one just like that near my place all the time.

16. No I traded it for a '29 Ford to a former co-worker in Eagle Rock. Never did anything to the '29 i sold it to Bobby Green a couple years ago.

17. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Last year at the Spring Carlisle i picked up a Weiand Tunnel Ram intake and a pair of Holley 450s for the SBC I was building, and now i am not even using it becasue i decided to go with a flathead instead.

[​IMG]

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Now that unearthed a couple memories ....... :D

First one I recall was a piece of carpet I replaced the seat board on my home built 2x4 push car with. It lowered my ass to within 2" of the street and dropped the cg as well. Cornered so well afterward that nobody could beat me down Holiday Hill.

Second was mods to a 20" Whizzer. Converted the centrifugal clutch to foot operated manual by bolting the pulleys together on the spring tensioned lever and pitching the case & guts. Put on a stronger spring and pulled it down via a cable to the converted kick stand. Much improved accel.
    Also made up an adjustable ram tube for the little Carter and fiddled with it 'til it ran as well as it could. Helped the top end nicely. Managed 42 mph once on a slight down grade, damn good thing I never had to stop it in a hurry.

19. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

A Thrush glasspack on my first car... a 4 door 1957 Chevy with a 235. I thought it was gonna be way faster...

Next was a swap meet set of 4 Cragar S/S "mags" for $5. The seller was loading his trailer at the end of the swap meet and I don't think he wanted to haul them back home. I thought I had just made the deal of a lifetime... They were pitted pretty bad and missing the center caps. Nearly bald 50 series "Indy" tires on the 2 wide ones. Installed the 2 narrow ones on the rear of my 57, since the wider ones wouldn't clear the wheel wells and shoved an empty pop can into the center with the bottom showing for an ultra cheap center cap. Gave the wide ones to a buddy which we installed on his Plymouth Volare with the help of air shocks. We jacked up the rear end, installed the 50 series wheels and put the original wheels underneath as "jackstands" while working on installing the air shocks. During the job, because the rear end was jacked up so high, the front torsion bar broke. It sounded like a shotgun going off in the garage. I thought we were dead for a moment...

20. A dingo intake, a 350 holley and X2 headers for my holden red motor

21. Mail order Montgomery Ward "full race" camshaft & 3X2 intake manifold. 265 inch Chevy, 210 2 dr. post. Year: 1958.

22. krooser

krooser

Gotha adjustable rocker arms for my '57 Olds... 1964.

23. Ansen Posi-shifter from Karbelt Speed and Custom, 1965 for my 58 Dodge 313 4bl hot rod.
    Don

24. I always knew you kats from Valpo were crazy :D
    I laughed my butt off over this post!

25. von zipper

von zipper

My Varoom motor for my stingray!!

Attached Files:

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

mark me down as one more for headers on a VW,
    mine was a dual carb 1600 in a '66 squareback in about 1975

27. slick a&t

slick a&t

My first piece of speed equipment was a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1.It was my first car that i bought in 1986 when i was 19.Man i miss that car,seem the first is always the hardest to let go of.

28. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

A nasty solid cam that required the entire motor to be reconfigured and rebuilt around it. Cost me all my savings and a couple of girlfriends but was totally worth it.

29. My "varoom motor" for my Shelby Bike back in the '50s was a playin' card held on by a clothes pin to "varoom" on the spokes .... :D:D

30. Jimmy2bottle

Jimmy2bottle

holley 4bbl for my first car.. 55 chevy