Register now to get rid of these ads!

EFI on 351C Brilliant idea or hair brained scheme?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dcstreetrods, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dcstreetrods

dcstreetrods

OK now I'm really in trouble. Based on the responses to my post looking for a 3-2 set up for my 351C 2V motor I checked out Price Motorsports adapters. Then I wandered around the internet and found several posts and one long article about installing the EFI system from a 302 on a 351C. There are a few suggestions to do so using the Price adapters and a complete EFI system from Mustang. Now I am thinking about doing it. But, on the one hand I've never worked on a fuel injected motor but on the other hand I am a retired software development guy so I think I can learn.
    My question is this...has anyone out there done this conversion? Can you give me some idea about what is involved, problems encountered, level of difficulty, degree of insanity etc.
    Thanks
    dcstreetrods

2. Spedley

Spedley

They have electronically controlled fuel injection now??? What will they think of next?

3. can't tell you much about that idea, but i do know a guy who used a Mass FLO EFI conversion on a 70 Boss 351 and it seemed to work great and he said it was a "No Brainer" to install. http://www.mass-floefi.com/

4. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

actually i like the efi better than a carb because its way more reliable but than again i also like to keep things traditional

5. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

Another option to consider if you want it to look more "traditional" would be a TBI system, possibly using a megasquirt computer. Given your software background, the megasquirt might be of interest to you.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

EFI is NOT HAMB FRIENDLY!!!! Traditional Rods and Customs!!!

Think to yourself to before posting, "Would I see this in 1964?"

If the answer is no, it generally doesn't belong here....

7. dcstreetrods

dcstreetrods

Sorry, Guess I didn't understand the rules.
    dcstreetrods

8. flatoz

flatoz

HUH???

man I'm not a EFI person, but have you never seen a fuel injected 57 chev? what about Doyle Gammels 32 coupe, think you might be a bit out of line with this one, hear what your saying, but my answer is YES! I would have seen EFI in 64.

as for dcstreetrods, get onto some Aussie forums, as we kept the clevland going for many years and have a hugh aftermarket industry going around this motor. plenty of knowledge on what to do, just I don't have it.

the 351 is one of our ( Australias) most popular drag motors, but I still think their a boat anchor...

9. fast Ed

fast Ed

10. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

maybe not efi in '64 but mfi.

yes, efi is very do-able especially if you have a brain which the op does so you're good to go.

there are about a billion options out there. maf based systems are the best imo but they require specific calibration. basically, the maf sensor detects how much air is entering the engine and injects fuel accordingly. maf is basically an indicator of engine load. pretty simple and straight forward but the maf output signal needs to be calibrated for any one particular engine. an analog maf sensor puts out a 0-5 volt analog signal. match this up with your engine flow capabilities and calibrate your load tables accordingly and you're good to go.

another option is speed density. basically the ecu looks at rpm (speed) and map (manifold absolute pressure) and iat (intake air temp) to determine the air density in the engine which is analogous to cyliner filling and load. speed density figures engine load based on input where maf system directly measure air flow. speed density is slightly more simple to use imo.

adapting a stock engine management system shouldn't be too hard but ford uses maf based systems which means you'll have to figure out how to calibrate the sensor and ecu to account for the larger displacement motor and increased air flow. you may need larger injectors if you're going to make more hp than the donor motor made.

if you've got the money there are a bunch of almost plug-n-play systems out there. if you're a little more resourceful and enjoying constantly fiddling with stuff then check out mega squirt.

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

There was fuel injection in 1957 but was it mechanical and not electronic...?

12. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Dude, those cars you're talking about feature Rochester MECHANICAL injection. You know the "E" in EFI means electronic, right?

Dcstreetrods, I'd check out some of the tech. forums on "Ford Truck Enthusiasts." There's some good stuff on injection and the Cleveland motors over there...

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

except the lesser known chrysler Electrojector fuel injection which was introduced (although unsuccesfully) in 1958. this was sold to bosch who refined it for use in the VW beetle in 1967.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Thank you guys... EFI is not all together unwelcome here, but there are two things, it either needs to be kept under a closed hood, or needs to look vintage, like some of the converted MFI stuff... The stock Mustang stuff is just plain ugly...

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I guess I keep forgetting about all those guys in the 50's and 60's who were converting their 3x2 or 6x2 set-ups over to TBI or TPI out a mid 90's Camaro.

Sorry about the EFI rant, I guess it IS totally HAMB-tastic! ;)

I'll lay off and stop being a dick.

17. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

if it's done tastefully why does it matter? better performance and better driving. sounds like two things any hot rodder would be interested in. there is more to hot rodding than just pure asthetics is there not?

18. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

look into a flying toilet. seriously. google it.

19. Sane and wise words:)

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well being as this board is about Traditional Hot Rods and Customs as the were in the mid 60's and before, I'd say you may want to think about what would be on those cars. This isn't a straight up Hot Rodding board.

21. repoguy

repoguy

Hey dude, there have been plenty of discussions about S-10 frame conversions, Ferraris, Porsches, mid to late 60's drag racing, and a lot of other stuff that you might not personally approve of.

So here's an idea, since you're not a moderator on this forum, why don't you shut it and let the adults talk. The guy came here asking for help, not some fucking diatribe on "what the HAMB is and what belongs here".

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

not backing up guys who put TPI or late model engines, but to prove a point,

this is OEM chrysler circa 1958:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

yes i've seen first hand that closemindedness and technological ignorance is the leading trend of hamb land. as long as it's traditional and looks cool, right?

24. flatoz

flatoz

Yes your right the chevs were mechanical, but as said the Chryslers did have electric.

as much as I personally can't get my head around FI, I would love to play with a two pot hilborn setup on top of my blown flatty. I think it would leave the 97's for dead, but again, just wouldn't suit the look of the roadster, to late for the car.

25. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

[​IMG]

Not quite as clean looking as one might expect, is it? ;)

26. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

dude, stop posting pictures of 51 year old efi systems. you're disrupting the hamb sheep and making them question their "shitty but look cool" 97's.

27. 58custom

58custom

You may want to check out the Cleveland forum at http://www.351cleveland.net.
    Someone might even have a tri-power for sale, or an extra Funnelweb or Strip Dom with injector bungs or leads on same.

If you wanna get all HAMB on it, you can used the damn ol' Offy 360 intake to build a dual quad intake. A little milling, a little welding and yer in like Flynn.

28. Abomination

Abomination

Didn't late 50s Mopars have EFI an an option?

~Jason

29. Racewriter

Racewriter

Damn.

Started to post, and then realized there were no laptops or Internet in 1964.

We're all fucked.

30. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

[​IMG]