Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping with Greyhound

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50flathead, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Does anybody on the HAMB that has used Greyhound shipping care to share their experience? Any stories as to procedures, service, etc would help.

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I had a door shipped from Texas to Ohio it cost about $75 about four years ago.
    It was wrapped really well with shrink wrap and foam rubber and cardboard on all corners.
    I had to show I.D. to pick it up.
    The only thing that concerns me is the shipper. If its not wrapped really well and the bus has to change it over many many times like cross country. Its getting dragged and packed in any place they can make it fit.
    If it was a hood I might try to find one closer.

3. Yup, works great! Run a quick search, we have discussed it here many times.

4. Sure, I have used them probably a hundred times shipping parts with no problems.
    They have a 100 pound weight limit. It is a good way to ship fenders, doors, etc.
    The only bad thing is the part has to be picked up at their terminal, they do not deliver to homes or businesses.

Their prices are the most reasonable that i know of.
    Very happy with them for about 10 years now.

Steve Barcak
    <DIR>Hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap. Drags, cool car show, parade, special exhibitions, gassers, rails, stockers, customs and much more. coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az -This is Arizonas longest continuest running nostalgic event, our 7th year! www.nostalgicshowandgo.org
    </DIR>

5. JohnShaft

JohnShaft
    from Tejas

I've had good luck shipping motorcycle frames with them. As someone else said, just wrap it in cardboard/foam and protect anything sticking out in odd ways. And make sure your info is affixed in a firm way in case something goes awry. But with all that said, I've never had a lick of trouble with them.

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

This may be True, But have you actually SEEN the way the Monkeys at FedEx or UPS handle the parts ?

There are Many change overs with them also, Not just a straight run from your house to mine.

I have shipped a hand full of body panels with Greyhound with never a Problem.

They also got 2 '46 Ford Rear Fenders from California to the Mid-West in about 3 days... Try that with UPS.

UPS couldent even get me an Oil Pump from Hot Heads in 8 days, Fuckers are SLOOOOOW. Even USPS can do that in 2 days... But Hot Heads Screwed me.

Greyhound is great if there are bus Depots close to both parties.

7. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Don't do it. I had friends that worked on the inside. The stories they told me and the stuff that never made it to the destinations.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Excellent service fast than UPS up to 100 lbs there only downside is limited delivery area but hey it happens

and yes we have a thread or 2 on this

9. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I've used them ALOT, never had a problem, parts got to where they were going in a reasonable amount of time, and the prices are great...as a matter of fact, I'm waiting on a package from Ca. right now from Greyhound...

10. They won't ship from Canada to the US, by Bus.
    Too many problems at the border.

11. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Sounds like you have some SHADY Friends !

12. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

I sent a set of 5 tires thru GH...smooth transaction and reasonable rates.

13. I have gotten several large parts shipped to me from across the country Greyhound and recently sent a few large parts cross country real reasonable with Greyhound. I have been happy and will use them again.

14. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Shipped 2 Suburban Seats, $75 bucks!!!! Huge savings from the other shippers

15. I received a neon sign from WA last week via GPX (Greyhound Package Express). The box traveled all the way across the country and didn't have a single blemish on it! The neon seller will only use GPX after much bad experience with UPS, FedEX, DHL, etc. I had to show ID to pick up the item at the local Greyhound terminal. I would definitely use GPX next time. As mentioned earlier, how the seller packages the item will greatly determine the probability of damage during shipment.

Jim

16. raven

raven

I would be very cautious about using them. Although, I have had good luck with them, a clubmate sent some bumpers and they simply diapppeared in route. He had waited about three hours (no kidding) to get them to take his shipment (pacakged nicely) and then they never showed up at their destiantion. He had to sumbit a claim, but now, many months down the road, they have never gotten back with him on the claim.
    r

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've shipped fenders, seats, and few other things Greyhound. No problems yet. Not that someone won't have some though. Always get insurance for what the part is worth.

18. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

I just used them for the first time. I shipped 2 fiberglass model A front fenders halfway across the country for $66. Arrived in 4 days. Worked out great! I will definitly use them again.

19. Shipped an entire 32 sedan cowl, 32 rear fenders, several bicycles and a tandem bicycle, bike wheels etc.............never an issue, delivery was always in less than 5 days for under $60

20. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

Another happy customer here. I've shipped hoods mostly. Their advantage is oversized stuff. I never had any complaints probably because I pack very very well. I always box the stuff. Also much faster than UPS. You provide them with the name and phone number of the person receiving and they call when it arrives. Receiver has to pick it up at the station.

21. Legend has it that Owsley (the father of acid) used to ship a trunk of his goods all over the country by bus. That's why the cops were never able to bust him with possession, the stash was always on the move.

Bob

22. Well I have had bad experinces 3 times now. I think it has everything to do with the Cleveland GH terminal and not the other terminals.

First time I had an issue was when I had a fender shipped from Utah. I got a little green letter from GH saying that they were going to start storage fees on my item. I had no idea it was even at my terminal. I called and they said they didn't have my phone number on the outside of the package to let me know it had arrived and it needed picked up. I went to pick it up, they didn't charge me any storage fees.

Second time was rear 1/4's from California. Got the same green letter in the mail AFTER I had called 2 different days to see if my package had arrived. Once again the said no phone number on the outside of the package, when I asked about telling me they didn't have my stuff when I called twice they said oops, sorry, and once again no extra charges.

The third time was a pair of Ansen Slots. I waited 4 days after the guy shipped them and called everyday and was told no packages call back tomorrow. I did for 5 days and the little letter showed up in the mail again!!!!!! Pissed to no end I went to the terminal and walked in and asked if I had received any packages which the girl behind the counter asked my name. My last name is unusual and hard to spell and I knew something was up when she didn't ask how to spell it. She did a couple keystrokes and said, "Nope, nothing here for you" When I pulled the little green letter out of my back pocket and asked why the hell they were going to charge me storage fees then her face went blank, another GH employee came out asking whats going on, I explained what was going on and said she looked it up on the computer, pointed to the screen and little miss blank face had been playing SODUKO!!!!!!!! They found my boxes no more than 10ft away from Miss Soduko's desk. My phone number WAS on the outside as well as my address

As far as everything else.....no items were ever damaged, they did make it to my terminal in a timely manner, Costs were great.....I think my terminal has a bad case of laziness, "whut ever" attitude.