Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cold Flatty?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Defisch, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

I drove my hot rod around today(48' 59a in a model a) 70 or80 miles and at 75 degrees out it only reaches 150 degrees at 60 mph when i stop it goes to around 140. i checked my guage with one stuck in the radiator and its within a few degrees. what can i do to get the temp. up? do they make thermostats that go inside the rad hoses? or ive heard of running restricters with a 5/8 hole will this help?

2. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

Yes you can get thermostats, try one of the early ford suppliers.

3. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

It's a great problem to have. Mine is similar. They do make thermostats that go in the hoses. Washers will work too. If you need to, try putting some cardboard in from of half the radiator.

4. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

the restrictors will only keep it cooler the water does not move as fast and has time to cool even more in the rad.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Its the old do you get wetter walking through rain or running through rain question.

Partially resricting air flow or covering part of the rad will have more effect on the temp.

6. Flat Broke

Flat Broke

I had a similar issue with my flat six in my 50 Ford truck. It would just sit at 150 degrees, and never get any hotter. As we all know, a cold flatty is better than a hot one, but it is ideal to reach operating temp! After wasting hours troubleshooting guages, and temp sending units, I replace the thermostat. The old one was opening too soon, obviousely a colder t-stat. Got the right one from an early flathead supplier like suggested. Hopefully your resolution is as simple as minewas.

7. flatjack

flatjack

You need thermostats.

8. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

Thanks Guys ill pick up a set of thermostats tomorrow.