Register now to get rid of these ads!

vacuum advance SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblock292, Feb 17, 2009.

1. yblock292

yblock292

I know this should be in the wanted area, but am in a jam, need a good, used or new vacuum advance pot for my 56 265 SBC, new motor , bored .030 starts and idles great, but is gutless. Discovered my vacuum pot is shot, anyone know where? Oreillys and auto zone don't have a clue.

2. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  3. yblock292

yblock292

wow didn't even think about e-bay thanks!

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Vacuum advance chambers are fairly generic. Qick AUTOZONE search I found three vacuum advance chambers.

29333-L
    29333-R

Odds are one of them will work. In any case you just have to outsmart the guy at the parts counter. It ain't his fault, it's the outfit that hired him don't have a clue or a training program.

Another way.......Outsmart the guy at the parts counter.
    Say you want a distributor for your chevy, you don't know what year it is but it's old, when he tells you the oldest year they have in the computer say thats the one and when he brings up the distributor listing tell him that actually you only want the vac advance. Most of those cross over. In the meantime you're helping him find his way around his computer :D
    The vac advance'll be about $15.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Man I feel for ya. I took the time to search a few autoparts stores websites and came up with nothing. Luckly most of the GM point type distributors used the same vacuum advance diaphram regardless of rotation direction. If you have one of the really early distributors that have the advance weights in the bottom instead of up on top then it might be a different story. It shouldn't be a problem to come up with a good used one if you have the distributor with the window for setting the points.

The purpose of the vacuum advance is to improve idle quality and part throttle fuel ecomomy. They have no effect on full throttle performance since there is no vacuum in this mode.

If you know anyone with a chevy parts stash you might get lucky and find a good one that will work.

6. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

yblock292 Try Antique Auto Supply in Arlington Texas owners name is Stacy Brown phone is 817 275 2381 email is same as above .com The guys here on HAMB had a lengthy story about him on here . If he doesn't have it I will be surprized. He has 9 or 10 warehouses at his place loaded with N.O.Stock parts

7. Steve M

Steve M

I've got one that you can have. It's new in the box since my 406 hates vacuum advance. I'll PM my phone number and we'll figure out how to get it to you.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Keep in mind that, if he's running the stock distributor, the vacuum pod he needs only fits '55 and '56. It's nothing like the pod that fits everything from '57-'74.

9. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

That's what ya get for messin with them Chevys, YBLOCK !
    Seriously, unless you have to have period correct, you could probably swap in the later '57 and up dizzy or even an HEI.

10. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

11. yblock292

yblock292

Tried NAPA no hope , heathen is right 55 and 56 only its in my 50 shoebox , hate to go HEI trying to keep the engine looking as stock as i can , even running a generator have found a couple on Ebay thanks to Zookeeper.Antique auto in Texas has one kinda pricey, got to call a guy tonight who has one on ebay .

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If nothing else pans out for you, I'm sure I've got a good used one. I've probably got half a dozen '55-'56 distributors.