Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP--1949 Dodge Wayfarer--HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped51, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ok, got you to look
    . I'm hoping somebody out there has some ideas or pictures of a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer. I found one today and can get it for a pretty good price. But I'm stumped as to what to do with it? With the roof line the way it is I can't see it taking a chop very well. Hood could be decked for sure. 115" wheelbase so a frame swap is a possibility.
    Throw me some ideas guys. I'll listen to every and any ideas you have. I've got to the end of the week to buy it if I want it. This picture is what the car looks like to give you and idea.
    Thanks!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Donzie

Donzie

3. Midnight340

Midnight340

This is one of those cars that IS WHAT IT IS... No, it wouldn't take a chop, I would never touch the hood (it'd mess up the lines of the whole car!) Options are stay fairly stock, or clean up by removal of chrome bits, etc.... nothing more. Lower it some (not too much, and please, god...NO bags!!!) It would take some torque thrust D's, or reversed stock rims with wider tires. Whatever interior you like. No frame swap... they have a good strong frame. Suspension mods, yes. Stock with better brakes OK.

Engines are pretty cool stock, but more power very nice. I'd build a strong Mopar small block....Even 318's can be real torquey and fairly quick if built right. (cheap too.)

Nice car.... Just not one to get crazy with body-wise. I love em! Hope this helps.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i agree,this car would do well with subtle changes.but a chop would not work.

5. Hey, I really appreciate the input, keep it coming!

6. Seems to work from this angle. I wedge sectioned the hood a fair bit to take out some vertical height. I think a chop would look good in moderation but only if you can get the car low enough. A Merc grille shell might work a la the Bass Chevy/Merc. maybe use a Merc hood too. I think the light colour looks good on it too.

[​IMG]

7. ...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  8. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

I agree, I wouldn't chop it. I have a 49 wayfarer sedan, and with the long roofline, I am planning on chopping mine, but not much. The cars have a tall and boxy side profile, thought of sectioning, but too much work. They do make great gassers though.

9. Abomination

Abomination

318 Poly power, all the way! ;)

~Jason

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

Here's mine; nosed and peak added to the hood, decked, '49 ford taillights turned vertically, shaved handles and side trim. It sits on the stock frame with a fatman mustang II stub and a ford 9" on the stock, dearched springs. Power is a 440/727 combo. It has hagen frenched headlights, but they will be replaced with merc rings when it gets a repaint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Have you considered extending them at the same time. These cars have a very flat "face" as standard. It might help.

12. theladylux

theladylux

These cars are cool.
    I almost bought one once, but then found my 41 Plymouth.
    I agree, don't chop it...it'd make a great 'mild' custom.
    Shaved, lowered, molded-in fenders, custom grille?, different tail lights? Done!

Does it have the flathead still?

13. jremnant

jremnant

I know that i have a problem, and i know that it is a Plymouth, but this is the first thing that came to my mind.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i owned one for years . they will chop good . they can be as nice as you have talent or money .... steve

15. I always thought one would look good done late 40's style Kustom. Mild chopped Carson top, lowered on a speedboat rake, skirts, Appletons, Coronet chrome around the windshield and vent wings. Nosed, decked, "sealed in" liscence plate, smooth round bumpers instead of the boxy stock square ones, 50 Chrysler tail lights would be a natural. Maybe loose the stock grille for a 48 or 49 Caddy grille. Shiny, straight gloss black paint.

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

The hoodline is so flat it almost has the illusion that the peak is higher than the hinge. IMO the best looking chops all have hood modifications to lower the leading edge.

Personally, I'd move on. You're obviously wanting a stylish car if you're chopping. Might be better for a home builder to start with something that's got better lines.

good luck

17. I had a 50 and had plans of a mild chop with a carson top...these are, to me, a great looking car and often overlooked...I really want to get another one

18. customcory

customcory

I already had this junk drawn out, so I might as well put it here.:D I think you should smooth in the beltline and find a 48 ford coupe roof skin for the back window area then start cutting till it looks right.

ir 054.jpg iraq bug 013.jpg

iraq bug 020.jpg iraq bug 022.jpg

19. This is what it's about! James D, wicked Photoshop! I'm getting some great ideas here.
    Shifty, It's not so much I want a "stylish" car. I have a couple of those. Just wondering if anybody has done a Kustom on this bodystyle.
    Oddrodgarage. I was thinking Carson style top as well, they look great with the roof off. It's a small roof so it should be easy to lift on and off. The one on my Merc is about 180lbs and takes two people and a hernia to re&re the the roof.
    The more I think about it..... mild custom, WWW dropped a couple inches.
    Oh, did I mention, it has 39,000 miles on it and yes it still has the flattie 6.
    And again, thanks for the input and ideas!!

20. Mine had a flatty 6 and ran great...my 54 dodge panel has a flatty 6 with twin carbs sitting on an offy intake and split exhaust with functioning lakepipes...sounds sweet and runs great...good luck with yours...my 50 dodge wayfarer biz coop had 51K original miles

21. KATFISH

KATFISH

This is a Flaky Foont car..You old hippies will know
    what i'm talking about

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I disagree with those who say you can't chop, section, etc a Wayfarer. I think the owner of this Wayfarer would say the same thing. He built it 45 years ago, still has it, and it still looks good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23. rixrex

rixrex

I always thought(prolly incorrectly)that the Wayfarer(I once owned a 49) was the fastback or sedanette body style and the white one pictured is a three window Business coupe, is the Wayfarer a trim style? either one I would be proud to have, beautiful cars....

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

In '49-'51 Wayfarers came as business coupe, 2 dr sedan (fastback) and roadster. In '52, roadster was gone and only business coupe and sedan remained (source: Encyclopedia of American Cars, 1930-1990)

25. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

This looks great... I say go for it. Hop up the six, and cruise in style.

Pete

26. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I sold a biz coup that looked like this one for 4500.00

27. I'm starting to agree. I'm meeting with the guy on the weekend to see if we can hammer out a deal. I already have a price. It's just the details......
    If I drag it home I'll have it looking as good as this picture in just a few years! (or decades)

28. MXTMOPR

MXTMOPR

Hello,
    I'm working on a car just like you are considering buying. Do it!!! They look bizarre and will turn alot of heads. I'm frenching the lights and license plate, lowering it, changing the bright work on the side, using different rear fenders and lights. Go nutz and if the 6 runs, keep her.

29. Mill the head and split the exhaust........................................

30. Very interesting. Got any pictures??