Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should I do to My 1936 International??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Feb 16, 2009.

?
  1. Primer it!

43.2%
  2. Leave it the way it is!

57.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

painty painty. I like shiny pewter for that truck.

2. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

Paint, paint, paint, paint, need i say more..........looks killer man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Justin B

Justin B

i vote you take about 6" out of the grille so it isn't higher than the cowl then paint it a glossy ondustrial color, maybe a greyish green, or that blue that's used on alot of machine tools would look nice.

4. Your avatar looks like it's on the salt. I vote for POR 15!

5. gotta say that zinc chromate is also a good choice

6. KsFlatlander

KsFlatlander

Shiney paint sounded good to me also

7. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey thank you very much! Yes, I am only 19 and I am liking your ideas a lot! I think that the military look might be a unique choice to do. I do have old WWII bomber seats that are green. I am having a huge response for shiny red paint that old International's were painted in. Im definitely going to paint it!

8. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey Red Sled, Yes we go out to B-Ville every year and the truck sure loves the salt, but not the bare metal. Ugh... Its a pain in the ass to keep that thing shiny, I have spent hours and hours just sanding and polishing the metal. Lots o work but a great look the truck has.

9. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IHC had a off- white color almost cream dupont #43938,about 6 shades of red dupont # 7410,44150,012,026, 674,253 if you want to go IHC farm colors.I got this info from Wendel,s notebook

10. That interior is Chip Foose's P-32.;) I vote for a shiny colour too.If you decide to keep the bare metal though,invest in some Gibbs,(see www.roadsters.com ),it will preserve it somewhat better than constant sanding.

11. PoPo

PoPo

12. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

i'd would agree with the go shinny motion, but i would say not full on gloss, maybe a semi-gloss red? not sure how it would really look, but just throwing it out there. and i love the look of your truck btw. thing is sick! props to another "minor" hamber

13. mike hamel

mike hamel

That is good to know that there is a product our there that can preserve the metal, Its a full time job trying to keep up on the bare metal. There is nothing like getting salt on that metal. It just eats it away. I have spend probably close to 40 or so hours sanding and sanding away.

14. I like the "State of Idaho Public Works" idea. Paint shiny, re-sign/re-letter, then distress the hell out of the paint and signage.

15. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey Okie Pete, Thank you very much for the color shades. Im going to do some research to see what colors those are and may actually go your route. Thanks again!!

16. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yeah, when my truck was yellow, I uncovered the emblem on the side and took a number of pictures, when I was grinding the paint. I definitely want to to that on the sides but the color is the problem I am having. Just trying to get an overall general consensus of what to do.

17. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

FUCK PRIMER.
    That thing needs PAINT!!!

18. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Ditto. Primer is soooooooo 2007. hahaha.

19. great truck. shiney heavy metalflake or commercal colour with logo on doors. maybe olive drab with a big white star on doors?

20. Olive Drab definitely. White striping.

21. mike hamel

mike hamel

I actually had a 1929 Model A pickup that some people might of seen that had this theme to it. It was olive drab paint with a huge white star on the door sides. It was modeled after a WWII bomber plane. I sure loved that truck. i was only 16 when I had that.

22. cactus zach

cactus zach

ummm do i see torque chains with solid motor mounts??? seems a lil redundint doesnt it

23. mike hamel

mike hamel

They are solid mounts to the frame but to rubber motor mounts. The nailhead has so much torque it has actually ripped out of the rubber mount before. I chains are not only practical but is a good safety precaution.

24. cretin

cretin

I agree

25. No matter what you decide to do, I'm wondering if you take the body off the chassis to clean the salt from every possible joint, seam, crack, etc every year? Having raced at Bonneville for 15 years with the 990 Original Golden Rod and 33 Swamp Rat Streamliners, I have seen my own cars & tow trucks rot from the inside out. I even had the dome light in my Suburban rot away from the microscopic salt particles, that are always in the air, that within 4 years consumed the bulb socket.
    Rubbing and scrubbing the sheet metal on the outside is only 25% of the job of cleaning any vehicle that has been driven on the salt.

26. A solid color paint, with some shine,
    primer is for a shake-down run

27. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Sorry, I just don't like shinny paint on this style truck, satin clear it and you keep the look and don't have to keep jacking with it. Mine is staying like this!:D

[​IMG]

28. cg&m

cg&m
    from St Louis

Any color with drab in the name.

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I vote for a home paint job, which is probably a vote for the following

primer
    shiny paint
    some more shiny paint
    back to bare metal
    more primer
    shiny paint

Honest truth time.......your truck's genre is populated by poorly built pieces of shit. Your truck appears nicely built and a cut above. Why wouldn't you show off the superior construction with superior (shiny) paint?????? Take the bare metal & flat black brigades to school

30. 343w

343w

Zinc chormate green is really mean for your cornbinder! Since your poll is running 50/50 why not go with the majority of the primer color, what a plan. Anyway, nice truck for a "greenhorn" There's a name for the truck!