Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a real steel body go for these days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Feb 15, 2009.

1. There's a real nice '34 3-window on Ebay right now for ONLY $29,500.

2. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I paid 4k for a cherry 28 model a coupe not to long ago and after selling off all the other parts that came with the car. It worked out that I got the body for around $1300 not bad for a nice coupe body. Im happy with it

Tom

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think it was around 1973. I didn't tell anyone what I paid for over 6 years for fear of being laughed at. I had my choice of 4 5w's at that time for $800 to what I paid. I bought the best (and most expensive) of the lot and looking back I wish I could of afforded to buy them all. You never pay too much for '32's or '32 parts, you may just buy them too soon , but so far the worse you can do is have to wait awhile to sell them at a profit.

Frank

4. I paid $14K for this. Doors are perfect and it has all of the garnish moldings....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Any more stories or pic's?:)

6. HATED1

HATED1

different year but i just picked up a 1931 tudor complete minus motor and tranny for 2500.00$. i am the 3rd owner (all the 2nd owner did was title it), have a title, and the body and fenders are all in perfect condition, no rot. the speedometer is free and says 33k was put on it. i will have a ton of parts for sale soon in the classifieds as i clean them up and figure out what i am going to use and so forth. out here in northern california and nevada there seem to be a lot of cool finds if you got the cash at the right time.

7. retro54

retro54
    from PA

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I picked up a rough 34' tudor body shell w/doors, dash, w/s frame and 3 of 5 garnish mouldings for $2000. The body needs patch panels 2-6" up all the way around. I should mention that it came with a good bare 34' frame. I was more than pleased with the price, of course it took a 1200 mile round trip to get it.

-Kirk

9. 30on32

30on32

how long is a chinamen's name?

10. silversink

silversink

11. Wow, I'm really surprised at the numbers so far. I really thought there would be guys on here that either bought or sold the desirable stuff (32-34) in the 15-25k range. Maybe even more for an exceptional body.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  12. metalman

metalman

I think local has a lot to do with it. Around here they are still decent price IF you can find one. I just bought a rust free 27 Roadster on a new Speedway chassis, Currie 9", tube axle roller for $5000, feel like I got a great deal. Looked at another 27 roadster last week, rough, rusty body drug out of the field car (cows had been walking on it) for $1500, pass. Nice 29 Model A coupe, partial restoration (Rebuilt stock drivetrain/ frame), minor rust on bottom edges, really clean and nice fenders, complete car for $5000, wish I had the room for it. Saw a rough 34 5 window on Craigs list, looked like it might of been a roundy round body, no floor or firewall, no garnish or dash on a homebuilt (throwaway) rolling chassis for $6500, pictures told me not to bother calling. Rough 29 Roadster body, needs new 1/4s and decklid with a homebuilt frame, advertised as a "rat rod" project, I passed but heard it sold for $5500. So to answer your questain, that's what gennie Henry is going for around here, least in the last couple months.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

O.K., I'll bite. So, which one is more valuable...a '33/'34 Ford three window coupe body or a '34/'35 Huppmobile W417/W517 coupe body?

14. Showing my ignorance here, but what's a huppmobile?

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

I sold this Deuce 5/W last year for the then "market value",... the economy has been circling the drain sence I sold it,.. But I still could never replace it for how much I got for it, if I wanted another one today in the same condition.
    There was a good guy that bought it and is going to build a really cool car out of it, but some day's I really wish it was still in the barn.

So was it a gain or a loss ?

[​IMG]

16. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

plus shipping !

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here's a few more for you,... stuff that needs a new home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Well, the answer to your question all depends on what the question really is..

A full '32 coupe.. someone is parting one out on Ebay, the bidding on the hood alone is over $4K and they are asking $15k.

A 1930 5W coupe body that looked pretty solid sold for $2K just today on ebay.

A mostly complete '28/'29 sport coupe body mostly converted to a roadster sold in CA (also through ebay) for ~$1k

There is a rough, but complete 1928 Sportcoupe body + framefor sale around Dallas, the guy is asking $400 and has been trying to sell it for a few months.

So in other words, anywhere between $400 for a complete body to $15,000 for a hood only.

19. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Here are some pictures of a 32 that i got after sitting in a barn since 1966.
    I posted a bunch of pictures asking for ideas before i got her home.well as it stands she will get a set of hydrolic brakes and a nice 276 flathead and be driven often
    I got the truck only because i was a long time friend.He had other offers and for more i believe but i got her for 6k.
    Shure its worth that as a sum for parts,but thats like saying the family pet is only worth the cost of getting it from the shelter.Its not always about money.
    In the end its worth whatever the buyer feels he will pay, its only paper.

Attached Files:

20. I guess I should clarify why I'm asking. I saw a post awhile back that I'm having trouble finding again about a guy who found what I remember to be a 33-34 coupe. Man, it was rough. Been in a creek bed or something like that. Body was all crushed and the whole car was leaning over like the leaning tower of pisa. Anyway, the guy on here who is a metal genius beats it all out, patches it up so it looks like a new brookville body and then sells it off.

So, that got me thinking. If the numbers were close would it be better to have the original that's been patched or the repro brookville? What would a reshaped original body (coupe preferably) bring if it was brought up to snuff? What would it take to hire said genius to beat another out if one could be found?

I'm not necessarily looking for one but then again maybe I am if the right deal comes along? I can at my age afford (generally) to drive whatever I want but being a casual rodder with a million things going on in my life I really don't need that much car. Still, who doesn't want a real deal 32-34 Henry steel car? So I've been thinking... How doable is it?

Man, I wish I could find that thread again...

21. You have me wanting to see that thread about the car being found in a creek!!
    I searched "creek" and couldnt find the thread.
    Anybody know where it is?
    Wp

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

This 32 5W recently sold for 4 thousand dollars ...

[​IMG]

This one sold for even more ...

[​IMG]

And some FOOL paid too much for this one ... 4 years ago :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I saw a 32 Ford Tudor body go for 6500.00 Pretty good shape but body only. Should give you an idea.

24. I think you just cut your build time in half. I think you scored. And, even if you paid a grand too much (and you didn't) but shaved 90 days off your project, so what? I've been looking at ebay but I haven't found anything that interesting. Maybe I'm not searching right...

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

No offense intended,.. but to resurrect one of these cars from the dead is a commitment that few "Casual Rodders" will ascribe to,.. even if you just want the best deal or to get from point A to point B the cheapest you can,.. Someone has to dedicate them selfs to doing the impossible to save another genuine steel Ford body, and yes there are monetary rewards, but I assume most of the tin benders you find on here do it for a deeper reason.

It will be cheaper and more cost effective for you to just buy something done and enjoy it, who knows, you might even eventually make a few bucks on it when you go on to your next casual interest. (IMHO)

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Listen to Harms Way in the above post. You can never build one for what you can buy one done for. You'll get a lot of flack for a statement like that but the "hidden cost" can NEVER be measured and most people quoting what they have in a car won't/can't tell you what those hidden costs are. My advice to anyone building one of these money pits is don't keep track of the hidden items or you'll never justify building it.

Very small list of the "hidden costs":

gas to chase parts or to find project
    time spent in the hunt
    electricity and heat for shop
    perishables: sand paper, tape, thinner, insurance for shop, phone bills, shipping, this list never ends

Frank

27. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I say four hundred and sixty seven trillion gazillion bajillion dollars and three cents.

28. Harms Way

Harms Way

WOW !,..... that's almost as much as the National Debt ! :D

29. Darkhorse

Darkhorse

A wise man once said, "Buy low & sell high" but that man never had a '32 Ford. With a '32 it is better than money in the bank. I have known of at least a dozen deuces that have been sold for what today would be a song.
    A friend of mine just sold a '32 roadster pickup, though sort of rare, ugly as a red-headed stepchild. He got over $50,000 clams for it, so who knows? A fellow hotrod friend of mine often says we should have started collecting stamps not rare old cars worth stupid money.