Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brodie knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by av8, Aug 27, 2004.

1. av8

av8

I'm looking for a brodie knob for the big steering wheel in my F-1. This non-power original Ford box is really sweet, an easy one-hander and I'd benefit greatly with a good spinner so's I could turn corners and shift gears at the same time.

Doesn't have to be anything naughty, although that wouldn't rule one out. Just looking for one with decent quality, and preferably one I could purchase locally. Are any of the auto-parts chains selling 'em?

2. RagDoll

RagDoll

So far I have yet to find one here in the Bay Area. All the ones I've seen are cheesey and poor quality. I got mine off of eBay, and picked another one up at the Paso Show.

3. Do you have any truckstops nearby? They sometimes have them. I was gonna say TSC, but depending on where you live in CA, you might not be near one.

Jay

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

We used to call 'em necker knobs. So you could drive the car and the blonde at the same time. Trick is to teach the blonde when to shift the stick. You usually can't teach them the clutch, but they handle a stick pretty good.

What was the question again? [​IMG]

5. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The really trick ones had a button that you press to let it swing down below the surface of the wheel when you needed to do some serious wheel wresling.

7. av8

av8

Most bloneds were too hard to train for any of the driving tasks, although I discovered they could do other things quite well once underway, and often with no training or even encouragement.

Redheads were the very best to integrate into the driving task; they learned quickly, understood what driving was all about, and usually excelled at car handling. However, they were usually all business about the driving so long as the car was in motion. Redheads taught me patience.

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh dude, it's gotta be naughty. I have a Tom Of Finland Brodie knob.

9. DrJ

DrJ

10. weekender

weekender
    Member Emeritus

Av8, check your nearest Tractor Supply store.

Good luck, McCray

11. old beet

old beet

If you are lookin for a certain knob, a friend has about 400 vintage knobs. P M me for his #........OLDBEET

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the tractor store idea is a good one,

I am sure I've seen them built in to a tractor wheel before too.

the add on type ALWAYS tear the wheel up.

I have a few vintage one kicking around here some place,

I'll dig around a little..

Paul

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what color or style are you looking for?

here's an old SINKO I picked up at a swap meet a few years ago,

not the flip down type though.

Paul

Attached Files:

14. Go Devil

Go Devil

Check out www.shrunkenheads.com
    They have a few neat items as well as brodie knobs that can be flipped out of the way.
    Go Devil

15. MattStrube

MattStrube

I got a black one that was on my F-1 wheel if you want it it's yours. Haven't checked it out since I got it home, but I think it works, and it would fit your truck. Matt

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I was at a swapmeet this weekend and saw a long forgotten type from (I think) a '40's GMC truck--it was a wheel with an inserted circular area in one spoke containing a rotating grip across the circle--imagine a bulge in the spoke containing a 6" chrome '40 Ford wheel, captured at its rim and free to spin. You grab the little wheel by its crossbar spoke, and crank away on the big wheel from there. I think this was a factory option that cropped up on several GM lines. Slick and rare enough to be almost shocking to someone who's never seen one.

17. MattStrube

MattStrube

Here is the picture if you're interested.

Attached Files:

18. Mooneyes sells 'em.

19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Used to buy those Playboy centerfold Marilyn Monroe or nude Betty Boop steering wheel chewers. Girlfriends hated the pic so I'd say, well, if you've got a better pic, I'll put it in. Break out the Poloroid! [​IMG]

It's pretty easy to pop the top and replace the picture on those things with whatever you want.

20. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Hi av8. I got a real nice one with Marilyn Monroe in it on e-bay. Not too expensive. Also, Tractor Supply and Attwoods farm supply caries them also; plain ones. Your local tractor dealer should have some too. How about drilling out a plain one and inserting a glass eyeball; far out. Sorry about that eyeball thing. I'm a fan of the late Von Dutch.
    pigpen

"The pigpen carries the dust and dirt of ancient civilizations."