Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 chebbie w/348 tripower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Feb 15, 2009.

1. heres the latest mockup of my 348 install. should be ready by spring!

Attached Files:

2. Sure looks good with a W-Motor in there!
    Max

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

how was the firewall clearance?

4. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Damn that looks good!!!

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

"W" head motors look awesome in anything .Good choice in a Tri-5 Chevy...

6. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Freakin sweet man! I love the W motors.

7. no prob on the firewall. i used TCI mounts that move the motor forward 3/4" and then i made 1 1/4" offset plates to go further forward. still clears the radiator! so far every thing looks good:D

8. Butch M

Butch M

that's cool...........

9. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Thats a sick ass lookn power plant in a nice tri 5 cool. keep posting pics of it

10. Tony

Tony

Very cool!
    Are you gonna leave the small caps on it?? Sure would make for a killer sleeper like that :)
    Somewhere around here i have a complete Hurst mount kit to put a W motor in a tri five..still in the box with all the instructions too..

11. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

w motors are soo cool, glad to see it in a 55... fenderwell headers???

12. Mac_55

Mac_55

348 with tri power in a 55 vert ????? SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

Looks reat, I'm droppen a 348 triple duece in my Model A. Gotta love the W

14. I started to put one in my 56 but didn't like the clearance between the steering box and the exhaust.What are you using for steering and exhaust?Did you have to notch the oil pan to clear the tie rod?

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Stef's makes a really nice oil pan that will clear the stock '55-'57 cross member. It's about $350, which seems stiff, but repro '09 pans are nearly the same, as are good originals.
    The stef's pan also has a screen and a trap door. I've got one for my '57... it's like art.

-Brad

16. the steering box was recessed into the frame 3/4". i have a dropped center link so the stock pan seems to clear fine.

17. hell yea the small caps are on there to stay. so is the 40 year old earl scheib paint job. i would like to buy the hurst mount kit for my nomad. pm me please:D

18. F&J

F&J

I don't recall any fitting issues with the 348 tripower I took from a wrecked 55 H/T and put in my 56 H/T. Tha was in 1968 !

I do recall the front motor mount brackets that bolt to the front of the block were just regular 55-57 V-8 ones with a 1/4" plate welded on the backs so there was room for the 348 bolt pattern.

I sure don't think I had the talent to move the motor forward, nor find a modified pan. Maybe the pan was modded when it was put in the 55, but I just don't recall that. I don't recall firewall issues with the stock chromed covers either...I don't think I would have bashed the firewall.

I loved that setup for looks back then, even though it was so un-cool by 1968.

19. it's funny how things come back around:D

20. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Congrats on the "alternate" powerplant. Seems like W motors are making a big comeback. Yeah!

21. F&J

F&J

Well. with only 450 views after a couple of days, with a good thread title..

I think the hamb is rat-infested. Put up a rat or rat-idea like fake covers and tons of views and thumbs up. Say somethibg bad about it and they call you trad-police.

55 with a 348, for craps sake...it don't get much better for the 50s cars!

Oh fuck it, put a tractor grille on it, and a centerbolt sbc with fucking bogus as hell stude covers:mad:

22. and my wife thinks it's stupid. if only she knew.....