Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt generator ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hodges, Feb 13, 2009.

1. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

can a 6volt generator be converted to 12volt if so what does it take to do it.

2. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Most auto electric shops can do this for you. I had mine done for around $65 but that was 15 years ago so it might run a bit higher now. I don't know the process but they could probably explain it to you.

3. Ole don

Ole don

You didnt say what brand you are working with. I had a 48 Ford generator I wanted to make 12 volts. I took it and a generator off a 56 F6 to the local pro. He put the two together, and it has been flawless for several years.

4. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Yes, there are plenty of shops that do it. I think there's an alliance member that does it. I believe all you do is switch out the field coils and use a 12 volt regulator.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

This has been covered before. Find more details with the "Search" function.

Cheapest route, change the 6 volt regulator to a 12 volt regulator. Second option, change the regulator and also change the fields to those from a 12 volt generator.

I have done both and both work, at least with Fords.

Again, do a seach and do some reading. That is how I found out how to do it.

Neal

After you do a search and still have questions, shoot me a PM. I will try to answer your question.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

you can do it yourself. it's not rocket science. here ya go

7. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

Sorry forgot to mention its off a chevy,Thanks for all the info sounds like we can handle it.