Register now to get rid of these ads!

DEUCE OF SPADES HOTROD FILM UPDATES - photos from the Saugus and dry lake shoots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage

Sage

Faith,
    I'll go against the grain here and suggest that the image be on the front of the shirt (1st choice) or on both the front & back (2nd choice). Why? Well, in my experience you are usually facing someone when you are talking to them. If the image were on the back only the person may not want to get your attention to ask about it. On the front...no such problem - you may already be engaged in conversation. My "Milner Racing" shirt is on the front and it never ceases to incite conversation.

Also, if you were wearing either an open shirt or jacket the image would still be visible. If the image were on the back solely it would just look like you were wearing a plain t-shirt. And if you are looking to go "old school" and have the shirt appear to be from the 50's, loose the breast pocket idea (no offense 66Newport). In my nearly 60 years I've only seen that in the last decade or two. Just my thoughts.

2. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I am with you 100% on ALL above. I was thinking exactely the same about having the design on the back of the T-shirt and when if you wear a jacket noone can longer see it. Down the road (WAY down the road) I would love to have jackets with the logo on the back. It would work for jackets but for T-shirt, middle front is probably best, in terms of promotions, you are RIGHT.

Just like you, I would pass on a small logo on front pocket because it is going to cost more and does not look that appealing to me.

Keep feedbacks and ideas flocking! hang on to your artwork though until we figure out if we can get a sticky and fire up some sort of contest (I have some cool ideas about this) so everyone can submit their creations. :D

3. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

I like Sage's idea. The old skool way is on the front. Faith has gone a long way to be very period correct. Maybe they can have both..although..this presents a money issue. White t-shirts were the thing back then as well. No offense to anyone. Love the ideas though. A Deuce of Spades letterman jacket...sign me up! how bitchen is that?

4. Abomination

Abomination

AND white shirts are usually the most inexpensive, pocket or not. You can get some killer deals on white... and that maroon/red in the logo will POP (muted or not)!

~Jason

5. When I was young we didn't wear T shirts with anything in them - just plain white T's with a pocket, if you were one of the Cool Gearheads. As printed T's became popular, they were almost always on the back. Later on I started to see some on the front and most of us thought they were kind of garish. A few years later I had that conversation with a silkscreener guy from back east and he said yeah all the California guys liked the printing on the back but the east coast guys were always wearing jackets so they wanted the junk on the front so it could be seen.

Still like it on the back better!

6. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Maybe the printer people would not mind giving us some printed on the front and some on the back? This way everybody has what they want :D

We can't do both front and back printing because it will become very expensive :(. I'd like to try to keep the prices down and still be able to generate some funds for filming. That's the idea afterall, right?

In looking at original home footage of CA dry lake racing as well as CA dragstrip racing in the late 40's and early 50's I did see a couple white Ts with prints on them (which surprised the shit out of me). So it is not period incorrect.

Then again, this is just a Tshirt to wear around everyday in 2009, not a wardrobe prop for a period film so it probably doesn't matter anyways right ? ;)

Needless to say, I would prefer it to stay more "nostalgia" correct if at all possible cause what's where my heart is at...

7. Sage

Sage

See? All you have to do is be old enough and still have your memory work. I qualify for the 1st part and occasionally the 2nd part works like I'd like.

I like the idea of either/or front/back. That way you can almost please everyone.

8. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

I agree with Sage. Front or back option is a good idea. And all sizes too. It's been my experience with the t-shirts our Club buys, that we sell alot more of the XXL sizes than others. Not so sure about the distressed look, as after a few washing they will start looking distressed anyways. But great ideas everyone! These t-shirts should be popular and will help Faith raise some much needed $$$.

9. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

We are talking to a Tshirt printer here and picking his brains about costs etc and he said they can print some on front and some on back - same cost - no extra charge :D so looks like everybody is going to get what they want...

We are waiting to hear back from HAMB powers to be to see if we can get a contest started.

The idea is simple (and real goooood):

1- DEUCE OF SPADES is looking into having T-shirts made to attempt to raise film funds to finish the film.

2- We need YOU to pitch in some extra cool period correct hotrod artwork. Submit as many as you want. Must be ORIGINAL artwork YOU made. I really want the LOGO but improve on it. make it 2, 3 or 4 colors. Feel free to, additionally, submit other non logo artwork, maybe the deuce itself, or Johnny or both or anything that would represent the film... All artwork must have the DEUCE OF SPADES words on them, very visible (cause we're trying to promote the film ! ;)). Be creative: Whatever you think would represent the film and look BAD ASS on a T-shirt. The more artwork, the merrier. I may fall in love with an artwork that is NOT the logo, you never know :). But I do need the logo, too.

3- All submitted artwork would be posted on a DEUCE OF SPADES T-shirt artwork contest thread (hopefully :) if we can get permission to get a thread going)

4- I will select the TWO artworks that I like best and will be most representative of the film.

5- We will then have the hamb members VOTE for the final winner.

6- Both finalists will get: One T-shirt autographed by the main cast members :)) and a DVD of Deuce of Spades autographed by the filmmaker.

7- The winner will also get his/her name in the film end credits itself :D. Plus, if they can come to LA on their own (cause we're too poor to fly you over LOL) , a reserved seat at the L.A premiere.

We will be taking advanced sales via paypal. We will need to sell 40 shirts at $20 each (plus shipping & handling - and sales tax if you are in CA) in order to raise the funds to print 100 Ts which is the minimum run. So Ts will sell for a very reasonable price of $20 and if you want to donate more you are welcome to ;) (ex: send $30 for the Ts) to give us a push with this Tshirt printing endeavor.

If we cannot presell 40 Ts, and can't raise the money to print 100 Ts, then we will simply paypal your funds back to you, and you get your money back :).

If you request it, I will personally autograph your pre-sold Ts. This will be only for PRESOLD Ts, to say a special THANK YOU for taking a leap of Faith (pun intended HAHA!) with us.

So I think above is a really neat idea!

Once we print the 100 Ts, we will start selling them at $25 to help raise funds for the film. So if you preorder you save $5, get your T autographed (if you want) and help a good cause.

Anyone else has any additional brilliant ideas? Post them here. Let me know if above sounds GOOOOD to everyone and who's in to pre-purchase a shirt to help us get the ball rolling :)

Let's keep our fingers crossed we can get a little contest thread going.

10. Abomination

Abomination

FYI, I've sent an email off and received one back. We may know as soon as Monday if they'll allow a sticky.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTELY F'N BEAUTIFUL IDEA! :cool:

~Jason

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

faith ,
    what ever you do will be neat ! so just go with your first thought . ... steve

12. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

I'm with NorCal...sounds good!

13. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

This is going to be a lot of fun! I'm anxious to see all the creative ideas you guys and gals come up with. I'm going to pre-order at least two t-shirts, especially since Faith will autograph them. How cool is that?

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

me too .................. steve

15. Faith - I have not read the entire thread regarding shirts but I have a couple ideas. If you do a hot peel, it comes with the small pocket logo and the one large logo. Doing peels you can put them on any shirt, any side, any size - the buyer can bring their own sort-of-thing including sweatshirts if they want.

Now, if you had enough sheckles to purchase the machine (about $200 used) you could make up the peels (Mountain Graphics can give you some ideas as to the number of colors and price) and do your own as you needed them, wherever you had electric to plug the iron-machine in. Keeps your unsold/unused inventory down (too many of the wrong size say) and cost outlay is minimized, plus you don't have to buy the numbers of shirts in all sizes - just buy what you need when you need them. There's the cost of the peels of course but once the artwork is in, you can buy in bulk - around $.75 each depending on the number of colors and the number you order.

For jackets however, they need to be stitched - way cool when done that way. But, pricey as they will be, once the artwork/program is made up, and that's usually free if you order enough jackets, you're golden.

Just a couple thoughts ....

16. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

HHhmmmmmmmmmmm>>>>

that's kind of an interesting idea... It does present many advantages, especially since peels could be ironed to any color shitrs, right? So if I wanted a brigth red tank top with my logo on it, I could ;)...

Drawbacks? A couple come to mind: not as nostalgic and the shirt will not last as long, wash them repeatedly and the peel may deteriorate and come apart?

Anyone care to chime in on this neat idea?

17. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Hey Faith...TomT may be on to something....maybe the first wave of "t-shirts" are iron on..cost outlay is minimal...everyone can put on any kind of shirt..maybe when the movie premiers the actual T-shirt can come out...
    hmmmm...

18. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Anyone here has any experience making T shirts that way? I need to find out the pros and cons and how labor intensive it would be...I do have 3 Ts that were made while I waitd at the Pomona swap meet, all with cool roadster designs on them. one had two nostalgia hotrods engaging in a street race... I liked those Ts, washes them several time and the peel off seemed to ba A_OK (the Ts however stretched so the material wasn't too good LOL). So maybe this is not a bad idea. I need to pick brain with someone who has some experience with this.

Anyone? PM me.

19. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Now on anotehr tangent for a secoind, i got to tell ya: I have met the BEST people in this hotrod world. the camaraderie and support between hotrodders exceeds that of any group I have ever been a part of, including (which si scary) church. :eek:

I really have that feeling of belonging to something special, a FAMILY.

I got an voice mail from Jimmy just now and he was at gene Winfield's shop and made the transmission cover for teh deuce and said he finished it :eek: and hopes it will fit.

HIm and I were supposed to drive the deuce out to eth desert yesterday to work on it but it was raining (again) same story last week-end...:(

So I guess he decided to give it a try without the deuce there...

Gene donated the metal sheets and I suspect, probably helped too. I'll find out when I talk to Jimmy in person.

I am so touched. Jimmy truly is an ANGEL. he rocks. And Gene is like my Godfather LOL...

I love these guys!

20. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

UPDATES :):

1- HAMB has approved our contest and even a thread just for that- it will however not be a sticky. how do we let the artists here find out? Suggestions anyone? This can only work if MANY participate both to create art and then vote for it.

2- Looked at my hotrod related Tshirts from misc sources and found that ALL were peel off transfers. So looking into it further as we speak - they look good as new and I have washed them many times.

3- Spent Valentine's day under the deuce fixing a leaking compression fitting :mad: on hard line and locked up INSIDE the trunk installing Naugahide panels and putting decklid back on. Got Crow'sfoot wrench set for valentine present :D.. Was really HAPPY. Guess i am the ONLY woman in So CA probably that woud be really EXCITED to get WRENCHES on Valentine's Day LOL.

More photos soon...

21. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

FUCK FLOWERS - JUST GIVE ME A BOUQUET OF WRENCHES !!!!!

HA!

Oh yeah.

22. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

23. Re: peels

They last much longer than you think - the NSRA and Goodguys have been using them for years. I have shirts that are over 10 years old that still look good.

There's 3 things that are key to a long life to peels are: the heat setting of the machine, the "iron" time to set it at , and the type of cloth you put it on. The first two I can give you a ball-park - you'll have to experiment after that as every machine is different. But for the shirts, get the 50/50 blend - they have the least amount of shrinkage, hence less reason for your iron on to go bad/wrong over time.

Usually you can get a test batch of 25 peels - then, you experiment a little. Once the timer on the machine goes off, you pull the peel evently right away. Once they are out of the machine, let them dry/cool off flat for a bit. Sometime the peel maker screws up be it colors or the types of colors - the test batch is very, very important.

Shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I'll provide what info I can get from my old car club - they've been doing peels now for over 10 years with the same machine!

Doing iron ons is a money maker - just think of when you are touring the country in your tricked out hot rod bus, promoting your latest work via shirts, sweatshirts, hats (yes, the small logo will work on a hat using a special iron machine) and such, signing them personally for an added fee.

I can see that big smile coming to your face right now .... :)

24. Abomination

Abomination

Yeah... shake that money maker, Tom! Whoo-hoo!!! LMAO! :p

[​IMG]
    (note iron-on logo on underpants)

Just kidding - I couldn't help myself! Sometimes I may be too immature for this board. Not. :D

~Jason

25. Go for it - we wouldn't be "into" cars if we ever grew up!

I have a T-shirt that reads - "Still Plays With Cars" - how true for all of us on here!

26. Cant wait for the Movie...hope the contacts were ok Faith I sent you...

27. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

No, not really, I was horrified by that vision :eek: LOL... I don't want a bus and don't want to sell hats around the country and I'll be damn if I ever charge anyone for a signature LOL...

If I ever become that way you guys are welcome to shoot me in the head dead. ;) You'd me doing me a favor LOL.

But I'll take the iron machine project on though cause it seems like a smart way to get T-shirts printed on a low to no budget.

28. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Super duper. I will contact them soon... :)

Finished my Ambulance scene today. It was very challenging. but it came out GOOD... I was starting to doubt there for a couple days, but in the end I fixed all the technical problems and ended up with a good scene. that was my second toughest shoot during filming.

29. I had to pull your leg a bit - I couldn't resist LOL ..... :)

I've already requested some info for you regarding the peels as my old club used them - as soon as it comes in I'll pass it on to you.

30. OK - here's some info for you:

The peels used are printed on high transfer paper which provides 95% of ink to transfer to printing surface. It's more expensive but probably worth it. I use Mountain Graphics of Lindon, Utah. The peel cost is determined. by number of colors used. There is a break based on 250 vs 500 or more.

Each peel transfer is @375 deg. for 15-17 sec. - wait 5-10 sec and peel in continuous pull. Best shirt is 50/50 cotton and poly. I've had problems with some of the blue colors like navy or royal blue. The machine recently purchased 3 years ago was 850 dollars and bought on -line (ouch - this is a little more than I thought - eBay maybe?). It has digital timer that automatically releases the print handle and surface area is 16 inches sq. Tee shirts are cheaper without pockets and peels could be less exp. without the little pocket peel included.

That being said, I checked eBay for someone selling the transfer machine - here's what I found - use this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Monkey-Pres...18631911QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

This machine's surface area is a little small - 10x16. Here's a few others listed on eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw="t...&_odkw="iron+on","transfer+machine"&_osacat=0

Good luck - I did the eBay search using "transfer machine" ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.