Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t bushfires in oz

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclechop, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Firefly

Firefly

No words .................... :(

2. *nick*

*nick*

i only found out on Monday afternoon my uncle, who unlike so many others, had managed to survive the Kinglake fires by the skin of his teeth. unwilling to speak of the incident he spent 3 days writing it all down and adding small photos taken with his phone. i've just read it all then.

returning to Melbourne with 2 buddies from a trip to NSW for a surf carnival they became trapped in the middle of Kinglake whilst trying to get to the home of one of the three friends, unfortunately they knew little of the ferocity or sheer size of the fires and took back roads in an attempt to escape Kinglake when they became trapped they were offered assistance by two passing cars- owners of a nearby property. turns out the property owner ran a water cartage company, as the wall of flames roared down the hillside a few brave men hosed down the man's shed which by this time had about a dozen strangers (6 or 7 of them children) inside seeking refuge after loosing their cars. the fires tore right over the shed and claimed the entire property and neighbouring homes in minutes leaving nothing but ash. the shed was saved and the occupants unharmed. we're not a religious family but to survive an Aussie bushfire on the scale of last Saturday like that relay makes you think.

i realise this is the internet but really truly my condolences go out to all those effected by the loss. i head the red cross has raised over $30million thus far, how fantastic.

3. bullitt

bullitt

my g/f's sister and her fiancé' are with the army and have the unenviable task of collecting victims in the Kinglake area.

their first hand reports are truly horrific, and people should expect the death toll to rise.

my thoughts are with the family's and friends of lost loved one's.

4. mrdodge

mrdodge

For what it's worth, our condolences and best wishes go out to you all. I have just heard that another 100 firefighters are coming over from here as well as some kickass helicopter with a monsoon bucket that can hold 3 tonne of water in one go. Sure hope it helps before the weekend when the temperatures are supposed to go back up again. Keep safe u lot.

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Thanks for the help and helo Kiwis.

I reckon it takes real cojonnes to fly a whirlybird through the updraft/downdraft fire situation low to the ground with 5,000 litres of water swinging around under you.

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Over the last 30 years A lot of Australian Car people will have read letters to the editor of Restored Cars magazine from Max Gregory,a font of knowledge regarding a lot of Australia's early motoring history . I see some of the worst fires were around Drouin. I believe Max lives there .Does anyone know if he was OK or hopefully lived somewhere where the fires missed? .

7. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

9000 liters . More than one home owner was grateful for the dump of water Elvis provided.

8. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

^^^^^ 9 metric tons of pendulum - damn!

9. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

And then we learn this.....

One of Australia's leading bushfire experts, Rod Incoll, warned Nillumbik Shire Council in a 2003 report that it risked devastation if it went ahead with changes to planning laws proposed by green groups that restricted the removal of vegetation.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25038717-601,00.html

And now the Salvo's are appealing for people to donate suits - for the survivors to wear to funerals

10. FEDER

FEDER

Without words,My condolences to all and Hope this ends soon. Anybody heard from Drewfus and His Brother.
    FEDER

11. Coming from an area that has had horrible fires it really hits home. Thoughts and prayers go out to all our pals down there.

12. old beet

old beet

Prayers to all. So sorry to see this!

13. We're here(thanks for asking), all fine up north, dry, but nothing like what the victorian's are facing

That koala....wow, with all the news reports and the like, have seen little regarding the loss of livestock and wildlife, hard to comprehend/appreciate the devistation caused.

14. And the greenies will blameit on global warming caused by all the tractors and chainsaws.

Now is NOT the time to be playing politics or laying blame!

There's too many people already feeling guilty for no other reason than they survived and their freinds did not, or because they still have their homes and lifes posessions and memories and their freinds do not.

The political shitfight will be on us soon enough, please don't include it here.

15. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Fair enough

16. Mr Cool

Mr Cool
    from Australia

The "Elvis" skycrane has a 9000 litre tank on-board so its not a swinging bucket. It can suck up that 9000 litres in something like 45 seconds too, thats a pretty serious pump.
    Ive seen this thing in action a few times now, still remember the 1st time, it was in the Brisbane ranges near my last house west of melbourne a couple of years ago. The size and noise of it was awesome - makes a normal chopper look like a toy in comparison, it just hovered over a large dam across the road from where I was, filled its tank and off it went to return several minutes later for another load.
    I was with a good mate in a cement truck carrying water to the area for the fire trucks as there was little or no water in the mountains (and still isnt much). I rekon every water and cement truck for 100 miles was there that day carrying water in, any way possible. An awesome sight in itself.

17. striper

striper

Just catching up with what you guys are up to. Some very sad stories indeed.

I never did get to Bert's place which is just over the hill from me. We often "talked" about visiting each other.

Thing is, now might be a good time to catch up, Pete. I probably don't have much you need except a shed full of tools for some rebuilding or even a little HAMB style therapy. Don't be shy mate...anything I can do... a trailer, a ute, some tools or a helping hand, just say the word.

Really sad to hear your news but I'm rapt you're still with us. Everyone else, hold on tight, the ride isn't over yet.

Pete

18. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Without getting political,you are aright. The polly's were full of it yesterday blaming G/W for this.
    But what was mentioned and should be paid more attention too is the fact that there are scientists in Australia who are carrying on research started after the black friday fires of 1939 and whose warnings ( loud and clear i might add ) have been deliberately ignored by those same pollys for that 75 years.
    I hope those responsible for various green by laws and who shouted down those who would disagree with them have the courage of their convictions to now understand the awful result.
    I'm still waiting for a mate to get in touch . I hope his silence is just a burnt phone line.

19. My parents farm is in Flowerdale, just a kilometre down the road from some of the worst hit areas, they lost one garage and a pump house and paddocks etc, but their house, garden and orchard escaped.....amazing sight.

The drive through the area today was truely humbling, devastation as far as the eye could see.........

20. GlenC

GlenC

The police are searching for a bloke on a black road bike with a plastic petrol drum strapped behind the seat. They've even got a pic from someone who chased him off as he tried to start one fire near Kinglake, and they've got a rego number. If the locals catch him first the cops will need a body bag I'd reckon, and in parliament today, one of the federal MP's said he hoped the locals would give him what he deserves if they get him first.

Karma will catch up with at least one of these mongrels.

Cheers, Glen.

21. cretin

cretin

What the hell is wrong wrong with people. What reason could you possibly have to do something like that?

Whatever punishment this guy gets is too good for him. I hope the locals catch that son of a bitch first.

Stay safe guys.

22. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

The Prime minister has openly told all insurance companies he will act if they give anyone any hassles with insurance payouts. Too often we have seen insurance companies live high on the hog and then be openly prepared to fuck over those to weak and devastated to fight them for their just rights. This would be the first time a political figure in Australia has taken a stand for the people instead of siding with the big money end of town.

23. since being on this website I've read a lot from the HAMB members in Australia and became much more aware of your country
    The news saddens us and puts life in perspective
    best wishes to you all

24. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

My thoughts are with everybody back home.
    I,ve spoken with friends in Victoria and it sounds like a war zone over there.
    You can replace belongings but not life.

25. All is fine Newstead way guys, the old man lost one of his cousins, just didn't make it out.
    My sister packed up and left the Bendigo fires but a few friends lost their homes.
    Thoughts and Prayers go out to all that have lost Sincerely Ryan Ford

26. Yes it is 1:30 am, Kids, Cars, Paint and Magazine who needs sleep?

27. chevy3755

chevy3755

my prayers to my aussie friends.............god speed

28. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

My wife and I feel for everyone there. We just made a contribution to the Australian Red Cross, it's easy to do at this link. Just click on "Donation" in the upper right hand corner. Wish we could do more.:(
    http://www.redcross.org.au/default.asp

29. If they find this prik he needs to be roasted over a large rotissorie/spit very slowly in the centre of town.....

:mad: