Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 4 Lug Wheels - What Are My Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Glass_Packs, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

The other day I stumbled across a '64 Mercury Comet 4-door that owner might sell in the spring. It's a 6-cylinder car with 4 lug wheels (V-8 Comets/Falcons/Mustangs came with 5 lug wheels). I've been trying to think what I could do for wheel options (4 lug spider caps, dog dish hubcaps, etc). I could change the car over to a 5 lug setup if needed, but want to hear what could be done for 4-lug wheels.

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

2. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

Tom, Cragar still makes SS in 4 lug ,there is also a set of alum slots in 4 sale section .I put cragars on my Falcon ,but that was what I wanted. I think you still can get chrome reversed also. Hope this helps, Gasserman

3. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Anything you see on the 70s/80s Datsun Z cars with 4 bolts. Like the 240Zs.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Ford 4bolt circle is 4 1/2" just like the V8. There are aluminum adapters which convert them to the 5bolt pattern on the same circle.

If you don't mind the 4bolt wheels that is.

5. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

Tom , If you are interested in the Alum slots do an advance search for Guiseart in the sale section . He has a set 4 sale. Gasserman

6. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Hey Gasserman,

I was thinking about running O.E. chrome wheels or chrome reverse wheels, but am not sure who would carry them. Any ideas?

Thanks for the imput!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

7. Frank

Frank

Shares the same bolt pattern as just about any 4 lug RWD Ford up through the 90's and that's a lot of choices. I didn't think Datsun/Nissan shared that pattern. You might try a pair of the stainless spares for some front runners.

Can't really go wrong with the slots though.

8. purple

purple

As the HAMB Datsun guy, no they don't. Toyota should, datsun matches Chevy. I have Chrome smooties from Pete Paulsen on the Kamikaze Kustom. They have both patterns so I have on the baby moons they came with. I had almost put on good ol' kidney bean mags.

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Do yourself a favor and go to the 5 lug.

10. vertible59

vertible59

didn't some mustang 2's have a 4 lug slot type aluminum wheel from the factory?

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

FWIW chivvy 4 lug is a different pattern than ford so rule out those cars as possible donors unless they're running unilug.

The late 80s early 90s mustang/tbird world is a great source of non-traditional 4 lug wheels, there's a few drag race styles out there and even a couple 5 spokes that have lugs hidden under a cap. Cause that's really the problem with most older 4 lug mags, they expose the lugs and end up either 4 spoke, or 4 slot and just don't look right.

good luck

12. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Check out some of the Mustang restoration places, you an get aftermarket wheels for first generation I6 Mustangs and they came with the same 4 on 4.5" bolt pattern as your car.

13. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'v seen "modern" mustang 4 lug wheels bolted onto pinto's and classic Falcon's..... So I'm guessing there's a pretty good selection of wheels available out there... Just gotta know where to look I guess.

14. [​IMG]

check out my rear wheels, this may be what you want.
    but i'd go 5 lug as you can see i am in the process of doing.

15. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Yep.

16. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

Porsche 924, audi quattro

check teufert.net/ goto rim tire bolt patterns you other Hambers' too

17. madjack

madjack

Just use early mustang or falcon 5 lug drums for the front. easy swap. The rears are a bit more involved. You should be able to swap axles and drums from a early mustang or falcon V8 since they are the same floorpan. I'd bet it has a 8" rearend with small bearing ends. Mustang restoration suppliers and salvage yards would have all the parts. This is a driveway change over. Shouldn't take much more than a n afternoon

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just for grins, Built a 283 Falcon in the sixties, and found that the 4 lug 15" wheels from a Rambler would work. (That is, the old fat bodied Nashes like Lois Lane used to drive...)

19. GTS225

GTS225

Late 70's to early 80's Dodge-badged Mitsubishis were a 4-on-4.5" pattern. If you can find any, look at the Mitsu-built Challenger and Sapporo. I've also discovered that Mazda 626's have the same pattern, but they wear 13" rims and a 15x4 compact spare.

Roger

20. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

You can always reverse the wheels you have. It's a subtle touch that actually looks pretty cool. Early wheels are/were riveted together. Drill the rivets, spin the centers, weld and play. A can of fix-a-flat is usually a good choice as well. Chrome lug nuts and maybe trim rings with some pinner whites and you are rolling in style on the super cheap. Maybe a dip in the chrome tank or just a spray with your choice of tasty color.

21. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

options are slim in 4 lug, i'd change to 5-4.5. but if you want steelies, dish mags it shouldn't be to hard.

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Fox body bolt pattern is 4.25"
    Which is the same as Porsche 924, early Alfa Romeo, Enfo, etc.

Pretty sure the '65 and older Falcon/Mustang 4bolt is a different Bolt Pattern ( 4.5" ).
    Never really measured it, because I tossed it all for 5bolt V8 parts...
    If you want to keep the 4 bolt, some MG wheels might fit, but I'd go for Granada disks and a Maverick rear...

23. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

+1...
    I have Falcon and a Fox, the wheels are not directly interchangable.

24. Phil1934

Phil1934

25. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

Cragars SS always look good on the early Falcons & Comets. Here`s mine. Gasserman

Attached Files:

26. Four Banger

Four Banger

Toyota and Datsun ARE the same pattern. We took the Bart Wheels off my Datsun 510 race car, and used them on my friends Toyota Celica race car! As I recal, the 4&1/2 pattern was available on Corvairs and Chevy Novas, Buick Specials and Olds F-85s (From 61-63), some MG models, and Falcon, Comet, Mustang, Fairlane, Meteor, and Maverick, as well as the afore mentioned Toyota and Datsuns.

27. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

These wheels ought to be fairly easy to find and not too expensive. they were available on Mustang IIs, Pintos and Bobcats.

Attached Files:

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep.

But they won't fit a '64 Comet...

29. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

My bad, those are 4.25 and he needs 4.5-inch bolt circles like these cars:

Acura - Legend '86-'89
    Buick - Special '61-'63
    Chevrolet
    Corvair all 4-bolt
    Chevy II all 4-bolt
    Sprint '85-'87
    Nova ('61-'70)
    Datsun/Nissan - most models to '89
    Dodge Colt '79-'88
    Dodge Colt (early)
    Ford
    Mustang all '65-'68 4-bolt
    Falcon, Maverick, Granada all 4-bolt
    Mazda - 626, RX7 '83-'87 ????
    MGA, MGB, MGC
    Olds - F-85 '61-'63
    Plymouth - Arrow, Sapporo '79-'88
    SAAB - 900 to '87
    Toyota - most exc. MR2 and P.U. to '89
    Triumph TR 2, 3, 4, 5, 250 and 6

30. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Wow Guys! Thanks for the imput! That's a sweet '63 Falcon Gasserman; the Cragar SS wheels look right at home. Here's a question for you guys: I have a 1962 Ford Fairlane parts car for my 1962 Ford Fairlane project car. It's a factory V-8 car (BOTH 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars came with 4.5 x 5 lug wheels) with a 8" rear. Underneath the '62 Fairlane parts car is TOAST, I wouldn't reuse the whole rear. My question is can I use the front spindles from the parts car on the '64 Comet? As for the rear, I believe the Falcon/Comet/Mustang 6 cylinder rear is different that it's V-8 counterparts. Can I switch the axle shafts from the '62 Ford Fairlane parts car onto the Comet, or do I need to find a different rear?

Keep the info coming!
    Tom - Glass_Packs