Register now to get rid of these ads!

WEAR YOUR HELMETS!! Accident pics of me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfnutcase, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 68wagon

68wagon

ouch im a big fan of helmets i smashed myself up pretty good into a tree trail bike riding would have been nasty without one.
    hope your doing well thats gotta hurt

2. 2006. I had just finished a coast to coast trip to CA and back from FL and not one incident, nothing, nada. I hadn't been home a month and I was pokin' along on a home town street and an old white haired woman stopped at a stop sign in a Lincoln Town Car and about the time I got there she decided to go. I slammed on all the brakes and laid it down and the next thing I knew I was about 10' from the scooter and it was layin' on it's side running. A couple of city guys was there in two trucks and I tried to get them to go run her down since she didn't stop. They said they had to wait for the Police (both of them). I cut the bike off and tired to get them to help me get it back on the kick stand. Gas was comin' out and they said they were afraid it was going to explode. My buddy came up and helped me get it back up. My brain bucket was skinned all to hell, my pants had holes in them, a sweat shirt was ripped and I had a broke collar bone. The story here is, you never know when it will happen and a bucket will definately save your noggin' ...

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Reminding your brethren of safety concerns is NEVER off topic. We are not invincible and stuff breaks. I recall that for years Gary Busey was all about the freedom of the road and detested (and consistently violated) helmet laws. Right up until the time he took a header right into the 90º edge of a curb and was in a coma for quite awhile. Now he has become quite the advocate for helmets. I'm not up for the 'nanny government', but some things just make too much sense to ignore.

tnx for the reminder, and here's to a full and complete recovery.

dj

4. gotham

gotham

jeez is that your brain coming out? youre a lucky dude. get well soon

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dave
    I think I did miss that thread, sorry to hear of your accident, I concur with the stock or OEM Harley Tires, I believe they are too hard of a compond of rubber for a motorcycle (i like um sticky) who cares if you only get 10 K out of them before you need to replace em , if they stick thats all I care. I had a local (Glass City Cycle) replace my rear tire last year and they couldnt find the one I wanted so they slaped a OEM HD tire back there..I was bummed but decided to give it another try. I ride knowing what i have back there. I have been very lucky and have not met the pavement in over 400K 2 wheel miles. last time it was with bridgestone tires on a rice cruiser (in the marbles on the shoulder of the road coming into a dirt parking lot) so it was slow and mostly painless minimal damage and a slight bit of lost skin. Mostly it hurt my pride more than anything.
    Glad to know you came out of this ok. Word up to any riders that go thru the toledo area roads..ride easy and and aware that the asphault surface is not as agressive as michigans roads..if they get a little wet they are like a sheet of ice. I believe the profile of the Ohio asphault (at least around Toledo) is very smooth and when it gets wet it is slippery.

6. Riding a bike without wearing a helmet is like playing Russian roulette,,,the odds are in your favor but if you lose the game is over.

I rode for many years,,with and without helmets,,,it's not a question of how many years you have ridden and never went down,,,

Most accidents involving bikes are caused by other people!

I'm glad you are going to me OK,,,It looks painful. :eek: HRP

7. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone, I have a great since of humor about this, I have to, it was my fault, I should have known better, I ws asking for trouble. BUT I will not make this mistake again! Thanks to an awesome member here (hdh) I will have a litle protection for my head from now on! Jim

8. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Wow.Glad your OK.Lesson learned.One more hit in the head like that you could be my boss.:)

9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Did a 12 yr old staple you up? Dam! Makes me think twice about wearing a helmet next time i climb on mine.

10. 64Olds

64Olds

DAAMN! that looks a bit painful, im a long time helmet wearer, not to be off topic, but ive only had one atv accident, i was a jackass lol and rode through a creek with shorts on, to make it better i had been riding for a while, steam hurts extremely bad on the leg haha, and ive dumped a dirtbike, thats not fun either.

get better jim, that looks a tad painful.

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ever been to PA? they put signs on the road they they sprayed it with oil ? Now that was quite a few years ago and id bet its not even legal now .. Im guessing it has to do with softening the asphalt making it last longer but i could be wrong on that.. It just dont seem right that they do that but its posted.. Ive logged a lot of miles thru PA and its very nice and scenic but i was real leary in the rain.. I really didnt look at Jim's pics close thats hard to take and i dont have a weak stomach:D.. Im glad Jim you have a sense of humor and your alive !
    Dave

12. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

WOW! What a guy. I think you just found a new endorser... for life! Good on you!

13. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I was hoping it was something like that as opposed to just not paying attention.

I hope the recovery is faster that you hope. Good luck and let us know how things go.

14. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

And what have you learned? Wear your friggin Helmet....

15. AtomicButtercup

AtomicButtercup
    from Denver, CO

Jim, sooooooo very glad that you're alright, all things considered. Best wishes for your recovery to be swift and easy!

I've been in the motorsports arena for a decade now, and the most important question I ask gear shoppers is, "How much is your head worth?" If you've got degrees, certificates, professional training, or even natural knowledge & talent that you use to earn your paycheck, then investing in a good, DOT/Snell helmet isn't NEARLY as expensive as a closed head injury and brain swelling.

Even if it's "just down the street", wear your helmet. It could save your life! It's not just about your abilities as a rider. It's also about the idiot 16-year-old who's texting a friend at 65mph/soccer-mom yelling at kids/yuppie drinking Starbucks on Blackberry/whoever. Ride safe, everyone! Rubber-side down.

16. After too many years of falling off of too many flat track and street bikes I've ruined two helmets. One was a Nolan, and the other was a Bell.
    Both helmets sacrificed themselves to save my dumb ass. You won't see many folks that have survived a head trauma that don't wear a helmet. Glad you're still with us, and you know your name, what the date is, and who's the president. ( the three questions they always asked me when I got my bell rung). Thanks, Mike

17. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

holy harry headwound :eek:

glad your okay

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yep Dave been thru PA
    my favorite run is out 6N..off of 80-90
    long 2 lane windy road heading into Warren PA done it so many times and have seen what you are talking about. I think now because of EPA regs. they use some other type of agent. But I bet in the first few hours of a rain storm those roads were treacherous.(sp)
    I have been lucky that most of my runs on that route were dry and sunny, but I did have one that i was driving an F-700 stake truck on in a driving rain that when i came to a switch back that went under a rail way overpass, i spun the empty truck 180 trying to navigate the switch back..really put the hair up on the back of my neck:eek:

19. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

They asked me my name and birth date and i told them it was on my drivers license? :D They asked me the same thing at the hospital after the heart attack I was good both times... Im surprised but then i dont know?? Jim did you get a ticket? The cop came to the hospital and gave me one for failure to maintain control ??? Ya no shit.... He also told me just show up in court and they would toss it .. I told the judge that right in front of the cop and the fucker charged me 125 bucks i think it was but waived the points.. I was gonna thank the cop for showing but i didnt :)
    Dave

20. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

Five years ago, ATV lost brakes as I was backing toward a ditch. I jumped- wrong way- landed on the far bank, and the boogurty machine followed me in and laid square on my back! The gas cap slightly dislocated a vertabrae,and the handlebar stem hit the back of my head. If I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I probably wouldn't have survived. Oh Yeah, the handlebars caught my arms just below the wrists- Snap! Snap! both arms broke, and life got interesting...
    Helmets are cheap compared to the alternative!

21. helmsville

helmsville

Is that oil leaking out of your head? naw just kidding im glad you are alright. chris

22. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Dude

I hope you are OK but a discription would have been enough:eek:

Gary

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam ..talk about adding insult to injury..shows you the level of compasion we have in our legal system dont it?
    maybe you should have showed up with a box of dounuts and and a child for the judge to rake over the judicial coals for the next 10 years of their life..maybe than it would have been ok?

24. Glad to see you survived that accident, I had a cycle accident where I went sliding down the road on my back it ground the back of my helmet down to the liner with no damage to my head.

25. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

your lucky!!!! a few years ago a kid down the street hit his head while skate boarding and died.

26. I got a head bang in a car- always belt up.
    Like the songsmith Leonard Cohen says- ' You win a while, and then it's done- your little winning streak'..

27. banditomerc

banditomerc

Damnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Live and learn.....right?

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here without having worn a helmet on a few occasions - on my drag cars, my motorcycles, and my bicycles. And like my son, the track bike racer, likes to say," If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet. Don't scrimp here.

29. phukinartie

phukinartie

WOW! now that you are open minded........Wear a helmet! We just got back from the dunes riding atv's and always wear helmets alot of people don't and the clock is ticking get well soon!!

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Say Bye, Bye to that ATV. Glad you are not paralyzed. Thank Mr. God and say your prayers.