Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 days without power! Ice storm pictures from last week...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scootro, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Scootro

Scootro

Talk about a disaster! It left millions in property damages in my area. Finally got my electricity connected today and telephone thanks to a iced up tree falling on the lines in front of my house! Thank god for the gas fireplace to keep me warm and the house completely unharmed.

Here are some pictures just of my house from the ice storm that impacted Northwest Arkansas on 1-27-09, causing numerous power outages, downed tress, blocked roads for days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

Damn man! Glad you made it out with no house damage. :eek:. I bet that was pretty intense.

3. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Precisely why I moved from Kansas to Texas. We used to get about one of those every couple of years. Glad you weren't hurt and you didn't have any major damage.

4. Scootro

Scootro

not my video but you get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUSoqm-HoYE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUSoqm-HoYE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUSoqm-HoYE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. two things...
    one: move to Minnesota and that'll seem pretty well normal
    two: buy a generator so you don't have to go without power next time.

glad to hear you made it out alright.

6. Scootro

Scootro

thanks! yea it was a little scary! haha..

thanks

haha were not use to getting weather this bad!!! and not a generator in site to buy (they sold out pretty fast!!)

7. Scootro

Scootro

Some better pics I found on the net while looking at local news stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I know its devistating, but wow, it makes for very beautiful images..

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

How true...
    The local media is reporting that the final numbers for this storm are beginning to trickle in.

It's quite possible this storm could be the worst disaster to ever hit America. Much worse than Katrina or Andrew. Tho the devistation from those storms was worse at the "ground zero" level, this storm spread devistation from the Texas desert all the way up to Maine.

In Kentucky, 780,000 customers lost power :eek:, and over 150,000 of them still dont have it. Our local death toll hit 27 yesterday when they found another little old grandmaw froze to death inside her home.

If you watch the video in the post above, you see how the trees were just mowed down by the weight of the ice. There are entire forests here in Ky that were planted for lumber production that have been decimated.

Here in Louisville, school was out for 7 straight days. It's open now, but 2 of them are running on generators.

The days following the storm saw temps drop into the single digits almost every night... The damage to plumbing inside houses that lost power may be in-calculable... Hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions by the time it's all said and done.

10. Scootro

Scootro

yea i've been watching the news and Kentucky got hit the hardest and the population is huge there than what we have...

glad to see you got power now

11. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Glad you're alright! Shows the awesome power of nature compared to man.

12. barney rubble

barney rubble

I live on the Ohio River in Indiana. And can see Ky out the window. They got it worst than we did in IN but my internet signal comes from a KY tower that was without electric for about a week. Damn that was rough.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. we went 31days with out power a few years ago hook up an old Coleman floor furnace and ran a line from the furnace oil tank ran dirty because the oil is heavier than stove oil had a problem getting enough stove pipes used that and the b-b-q to cook on, install 6 12v car batteries and ran wires to bath room, hall and kitchen added pigtails and 1052s and we had light and food plus visitors that didn,t have heat.

14. Bought a generator, because this happens regularly in Upstate NY. The next time the power went out, I drove into town to buy gas, and guess what. Power in the Village was out and the gas pumps weren't working! I've since converted the generator over to Propane, and have a large, full, home size tank full and dedicated for the generator only. It might seem extravagent, but when the power goes out during the dead of winter, and the water pipes freeze and split, you'll be in deep s**t when they thaw...not to mention all the spoiled food ($$$) in the summer, etc, etc...

15. ryno

ryno

looks like what sw mo had last winter.

16. Hope all gets fixed quickly for you. Keep your family and pets close and warm.

17. CruZer

CruZer

I really feel for you. I went thru the same thing for 10 days in Dec. up here in Mass.
    It took two days for me to clear the road in front of my house enough for my 4WD to get out and get gas for my generator.

Give me a snow storm any day...........

Glenn

18. how do you keep warm??

19. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

Where is Al Gore and his global warming when you need him??!!

We got hit in So. Ohio, but not like that! Still 2 degrees outside, so it isn't melting.

20. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

yeah, same here in Nelsonville (we're not far from KY and WV), only about 4 days with no power. here's a shot driving up to my mom and dad's place closer to Lake Erie. Nice trade off. No ice up there, but another foot of snow!
    [​IMG]

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

exactly what I was thinking. Mother Nature never ceases to amaze.

Glad you and yours are allright, now get out there with the blow-dryer and get meltin'!

22. 64krusty

64krusty

wow, what a mess, good to see everyone is ok
    who is responsible for all the clean-up?

23. Glad we didn't get hit again here in the Little Rock area. I don't want another power outage badge.

24. Dan1955

Dan1955

I can relate to this. Two years ago in NE Okla we had the same thing. I live in a rural area, without power for two weeks. Limbs down every where. I did have a little roof damage. Glad you came out ok.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Right after the Northridge quake, I went out and bought a generator just in case we have a quake in my area.

26. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

We got the same here around louisville, my parents and sister just got power today after 8 days. Really makes you appreciate electricity. I was only out for 3 nights. Been living on a generator, but the worst is over. Come on springtime.......

27. Scootro

Scootro

so far the owners are cleaning up but the city suppose to step in

28. tjm73

tjm73

Damn! The pics is the first post are exactly like the ice storm of 1991 that had most of Western NY without power for 8-10 days.

29. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

The mayor of the city of louisville had a news conference today. He wants all utility lines [phone, power, cable, etc] to be moved underground thru-out the whole city.

Good idea really. Would have saved a few lives if it had been done already.

30. Scootro

Scootro

wow! thats a huge task to do