Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Febuary 3rd 1959 the day the music died

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283nova, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

well today is febuary 3rd 2009 50 years ago today we lost buddy holly ritchie valens and the big bopper. i remember my grandma talking about once when i was younger. how many of you guys remember?

this is "the day the music died":(

2. The last thread on this got closed. Probably because it has nothing to do with cars.

3. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

well shit sorry about that, hey they gotta have a place in here somewhere? i know that they have kept me company many a late night out in the garage over the radio

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

man back in the early 80s, when i would be in the shop working on one of my 55s i put in one of my 50s 8 tracks and let the music go.nothing like a little insparational music to get you to working.many a nite me and buddy holley turned some wrenches together. hell id sometimes but some of the beachboys car songs on for even more of a kick.to me that music has as much to do with hotrodding as flathead does. they go together.

5. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

agreed that was the music that was hand in hand with hot rods and hot rodders of the 50's.

6. I remember well, I was driving my Olds powered 34 Ford on my way to the Court house in Seattle to pay a ticket for "Defective Mufflers" on my 34 and saw a friend on mine there too, and he told me he had just heard it on KJR, our local R&R staion, We were stunned to say the least!!! The World changed forever that day!!!! Good thing is, I still have the 34.

7. dadseh

dadseh

HELLLooo baaabeee !!!! What a voice the BB had. I was 14 at the time and I reckon I went home from school and played their records till they wore out !!

8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

America gave the world the finest REAL Rock'n'Roll and the finest automobiles during Buddy's era.The rest of us should be grateful,and you guys should be proud and celebrate two uniquely American art forms that,certainly from the outside looking in (and back)go together like bacon and eggs.I wasn't born till '64 but both have had a profound impact on my life.
    R.I.P. Buddy,Ritchie & J.P.
    Long live trad.Rods,Kustoms &Rock'n'Roll
    Paul

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. Their show here was my 18th birthday present (Jan. 31, 1959). Three days later they were gone. :(

10. galaxie_559

galaxie_559
    from New york

I remember it well. I was 10 years old at the time!

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Let us also not forget that on this day, 500 years ago, The Battle of Diu between Portugal and the Ottoman Empire took place near Diu, India.

Go Portugal!

Oh and also the 15th amendment to the constitution was ratified on this day in 1870. You know the one that says everyone can vote regardless of race?

What happens on Feb. 4th? Tune in tomorrow...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  12. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Yeah, they drove traditional cars.

13. oj

oj

I remember the announcer on the radio teeling us that they had died and even i could tell that something major had just happened. They have never been replaced.
    I just became aware that Waylin Jennings was one of the Crickets and it was his seat that he gave up to The BigBopper. Incredible.
    May they Rest in Peace.

14. Hey! I was gonna post this thread!
    Never mind, i'm glad someone did.
    I've just uploaded a vid on YouTube of me playing a tribute to them.
    See it here!
    www.youtube.com/user/bikeboytim

Hope ya like it!

15. mottsrods

mottsrods

When I woke up this A.M., i thought about this exact thing. My dad was 11 yrs old when it happened, so I wasn't even sperm yet. But, later in the 70's and 80's, my dad had an Oldie's b' Goodies show on a local station. I grew up listening to 50's and 60's music, so i have a good knowledge of all of it, and I really love it all. I like alot of todays music, but nowhere near as must as the old stuff. It had purpose, it had soul. And it could make you really 'Shag".

16. norms30a

norms30a

17. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

X38, this has everything to do with cars, don't you listen to music when you work on your hot rod, or whilr driving it. This is the music that was in the begining of hot rodding. This is the music that you here in all the sound tracks of all the old car movies. Besides that, if people do not want to partisipate in this thread, then so be it, move on to anther thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.