Register now to get rid of these ads!

So long, Colonel...I'll take good care of the Chrysler.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El_Gato_Scott, Feb 2, 2009.

1. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Last May I bought a cream-puff 1957 Chrysler New Yorker from one Colonel Roy A. Lange. I had seen the car in person a month or two prior to buying it, but didn't need another car. However, I sincerely had dreams about it several times after seeing it. I had spoken with the Colonel on the phone after initially viewing the car, but just decided to try to forget about owning it because I already had my Bel-Air and would have a hard time finding room to try and land this pink airplane in my garage. I'll keep this short. I ended up buying the car, and the Colonel was a real character...glad I had the privilege to meet him. He died 7 months TO THE DAY after selling me the car:( My dad sent me his obituary, and it mentioned how much he loved his Chrysler, which he had dubbed "The Pink Elephant". Here's a pic that my wife took of the Colonel just before I drove off in his beloved Chrysler. We have a blog with a long post and more pictures about the purchase of the car, which you can read at Atomic Radar This one is for you...Colonel Lange, rest in piece, sir.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    In retrospect, I really feel like he chose ME to sell the car to. He had offers of more than what I bought it for, and even gave me the names and numbers of the folks that were interested, along with the dollar amounts. I guess the old guy took a shine to me, and there is no way I could get rid of this car. If y'all feel compelled to share similar stories, I'd love to hear them. I hope you pop over to our blog and read the full story.

Adios,

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You must NEVER sell that car....

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

3. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Yeah, you own that one buddy. Nice story and pics. I didn't even know the guy and I miss him.

4. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

What a great story sorry to hear about Colonel. I hope you do the same as he did if you ever sell the car. My wife knows if anything happens to me before she passes. She will sell my car to a young hot rodder. That will love and take good care of it for $1.00. I know she will do the right thing.

5. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

Thanks for sharing your story. To me this is exactly what this "hobby" is all about and exactly what drew me in to begin with. The people and the cars have such an inspiring story to tell.

6. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

The colonel was in his mid to late 80s and in declining health. He called me "tiger", even though i'm 35 years old, I loved that guy. His father-in-law bought the car brand new in 1957 and died after putting only 6k on the car. He had it ever since. I think he knew his number was coming up and that was the ONLY reason he sold it. I just hope that by selling it, he didn't get stressed and go before he would have if he'd held on to the old gal.

7. mrdodge

mrdodge

What an awesome story and a fabulously cool car. Probably my "dream" car. The way you got to own it is something special and he obviously decided you were the "one". Look after that car but also enjoy as it should be enjoyed...on the road

8. God Bless you Colonel!!!

That boat is a Creampuff!

Something about that "Coral Pink" paint and Military personal... because My uncle was a Captain in the Air Force had a Pink 57 Desoto with a Hemi!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. If he chose you then I doubt he had any worries about the car after it left his garage. The years tend to instill a particular ability to sense things way beyond the surface in some older folks. My grandmother could judge a persons character and fate with a simple hello. He may have even felt a little more settled and assured about his situation. Did he pass recently? Could the Pink Elephant make it to the funeral or wake? Great story, cool car.

10. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

I had the feeling that his time was close at hand, but didn't think it would have come as soon as it did. Col. Lange died on 12/30/08. I did not find out about his passing until my Dad, also retired military, told me about a week later:(. The Chrysler didn't make it to his funeral, although, had I known in time, I would have chauffered the family to and from the services in it. I feel a real deep sense of obligation to this car and the Col.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

Cool website and cool story. Now this is HAMB worthy.

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Mister, I'll have you know, you own my absolute DREAM car right there. You take good care of it or I'll kick your ass personally!

On second thought, I dont know if it's really possible to actually own a car like that... Your just it's custodian, and it's becomming a piece of history.

What an amazing story... What a beautifull car... Do her justice.

13. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I think I might have read about this on retrorenovation too because I remember seeing pictures of the inside of your house as well. Great car and a great curator before you. Sad to see this generation pass.

14. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Here's the direct link to the blog post my wife did on the car, so you don't have to cruise the whole site lookin' for it 1957 New Yorker blog post

Scott

15. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Unclescooby, you're right! Pam did a feature on our 1962 ranch renovation, which has been a mofo. The wife and I aren't made out of dough, and I keep buying cars and stalling the completion:) We need to knuckle down and finish all these projects, including getting that 392 Hemi out on the road.

Scott

16. LumenAl

LumenAl

Outstanding story... read the entire post on Atomic Radar... Enjoy your treasure, I suspect it comes with some very good energy.

17. RichG

RichG

True, there is a big difference between owning something and being entrusted with it. I'm really glad to read that you cared enough about someone else to do this for him. You're alright bubba.:)

18. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Man, I hope so...I could use some "good energy" right about now. My wife got laid off last week. We're good for now, though. Funny thing is that after owning the car for not even 10 minutes, as I was driving it home and getting acquainted with the lights, wipers, switches, knobs, etc. I decided to give the horn a go, and watched the AMP meter peg itself. I knew something shorted out when I saw a steady stream of smoke billow from the hood/driver's side fender gap. I had to pull over and put out the cooked relay with my hand, ouch! Everything else was fine. Wiring harness is on top of the list for me!

Scott

19. S.F.

S.F.

wow what a bitchin car, got any more pictures?

20. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Here's a few more
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    Hope I can do the old guy proud.

Adios,

Scott

21. That's a great story, not too unlike my own. I agree with everybody else, you have been nobly charged with the care of this car and the responsible passing of it when the time comes. Love the shot of him kissing it. Only a car person would get it.

22. 51stockshock

51stockshock
    from limbo

The guy looked like a true character. I'm sure he is lookn down and smiling

23. 68wagon

68wagon

what a great car and a even better story to go with it . she,s a keeper

24. Sauli

Sauli

That is truly an unbelievable story...And a gorgeous vehicle, having always been an admirer of the late-´50s Virgil Exner -Mopars myself. What a character that owner was, I´ll tell You...Of course, that really puts You in care of something unique. Make sure You take good care of that car. I agree the electrics definitely need to be looked at and made in proper order just for the sake of safety, but other than that, it´d be a sacrilege to tamper with any of that car´s time-warp character. Best of luck for years to come. For both You and the old Chrysler. Never lose sight of that a dying man chose You to have his car...Obviously out of trust in that You deserve to have it.

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scott,
    What a great story to read first thing in the morning. That car is absolutely beautiful and you should be very proud that he chose you to have it. He looked like a very nice gentleman. Enjoy the car with your family and remember the colonel is looking down on you smiling.
    Gasser Girl

26. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

WOWWW!!!! WHAT a beauty!!!! Great car, awesome colour, that man took a shine to you as we say here in UK & could tell you'd cherish her & take care of her. You done good!!! God bless the Colonel.............. I had the same when chasing up my Buick in West Virginia, several other foreigners wanted the car & I just spent ages chatting on the phone to the very dear lady owner & she too sold it to me for less than she could the others...... I'll never forget her saying "I'm not letting the German have it"!!!!!
    [​IMG]

27. What a cool story and you have my dream car as well! That is a true survivor! That this is nothing short of amazing! I am sure you will make him proud, obviously he saw something in you that made him believe in you and trust you with his pride and joy. Take care of it.

28. that is an awesome car! the pics of the colonel made me smile.

29. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Awesome!
    Car, and story!

30. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

That is a really fabulous story and that beautiful car is an iconic representation of the 50's. I feel he is not only kissing the physical automobile, but he is kissing all the memories. You do KNOW that when and wherever you take the "Pink Elephant" out you will have a co-pilot with you.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009