Register now to get rid of these ads!

the others (euro,rice and tommy engines)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasolinedeniz, Feb 1, 2009.

1. I would like to see hotrods,kustoms and whatever with "strange" engine solutions ,such as engines from jaguars ,hondas , bmws or whatever. Show me your combos or talk about the plus and minus of this engines . I mean a jag v12 would be a cool engine in a kustom , or a old bmw straight six makes good hp with good mpg.

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I tell you what my friend. Go price a Jag cylinder head, or a BMW block or crank. And when you get done, you get to fabricate any headers or multi-carb intakes you want. There have been hotrods with Jag V12s, and they look great, there has also been at least one Ferrari V12 32 Ford (Deucari?) built. It's all about money. My big daydream is an Allison V12 mounted longitudinally in a 55-59 GMC/Chev Panel truck. The only thing that separates you from your V12 engine is a wadfull of cash and a garagefull of skill and several months of your time. I notice that you said you would like to see.....so essentially you're interested in having someone ELSE spend the money so you can enjoy the scenery? Roll up your sleeves, go to the salvage yard, buy a running V12 of whatever iteration you desire, and get to work. Then YOU could be 'the man'.

dj

3. Algon

Algon

Not much help as its too new and I don't have pictures, but a family friend has a Datsun B100 in his 1916 dual tub Patterson Coach (aka) Buick since the little thing fits under the hood, its been that way since the late 70's or so. Its a rat before it was the thing to do, the difference is its well thought out and solid, just never found the missing fender and it never went any farther while working other projects...

There was no frame so sculpted rails were made but the body was left stock appearing. He drives it to freak people out just for fun, we even had a VHS tape once of GoodGuys Columbus with a person asking when he was going to finish it, the response "it is done I drove it here" made the other guy shake his head. The car has been driven out of state many times and its very reliable in spite of its appearance.

4. Vermonster

Vermonster

A local fellow is building a twin supercharged Jag roadster, it's pretty sick, and the workmanship is outstanding...

I'll upload some pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you like brit stuff, Aaron is a great resource. Unless you're talking trucks, then talk to Steve at www.dap-inc.com in springfield, vt. He helped me get my old rover off the ground.....

Couper also built a sprite with a big Jag inline 6, and a toyota truck rear-end.... this thing scoots!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rick finch

rick finch

Holy moly, this is some cool stuff!!!!!!!!:cool: That little Sprite must really haul ass!:eek: Please keep us updated on that Jag, there are a few "Old Farts" on the HAMB that really appreciate this kind of stuff.

6. Tanglefoot

Tanglefoot
    from Vermont

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's got a Marmon V16 in it, all custom computer controlled. Certainly something different!

And Vermonster - the Jag and Sprite are awesome! I didn't realize that things like that even happened in Vermont! I need to keep my eyes and ears open more.
    <object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eXdfkTtqidw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You say roadster, then show a coupe body. Is he gonna cut that body?

And the superchargers are neat but he's gonna have to do some serious engineering to get the belts on those things, not even close to lining up with the crank pulleys. Or is that an optical illusion?

8. thats some great stuff here, i get this 47 chevy soon with a lame straight six in it and i wonder if i should a bmw or a jag engine in it , this is the reason i started this topic also i saw a few real nice model a and t s with volvo 4 bangers and early ohc engines they looked cool

9. mj40's

mj40's

And will all that twin supercharged Jag fit between the fenders?

10. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

I thought the same thing- it looks like the intake runners are mounted backards. Looks to me like as if the runners were swapped one side for the other, the blowers would line up with the pulleys up front. Then again, the pulleys up front are V-belt, the pulleys on the blower are serpentine. I see a LOT of work ahead.

11. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I have watched the "Coupester" project for a couple years. Couper dose quite excellent work.
    Here is a Pxton Supercharged XK installed in a XK120.
    [​IMG]

Couper DOES SERIOUS ENGINEERING..

12. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

[​IMG]
    Here is a real steel they are doing for a customer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decent welds too...
    [​IMG]

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

OK I've got to ask...WTF is a tommy engine?

14. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Here it is in mock up
    [​IMG]
    Top is going to be chopped..E IRS..

Oh the horror...;)

My 120 with the SBC is a tight fit..but the wing..er fender inner panels can be easily modified. Also the steering will need to be RP..and eliminate the saftey SPEAR aimed right at your sternum..

15. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Here is mine..
    [​IMG]

16. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

17. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

18. we call the english guys tommys, so a rover ,a jag or what ever is a tommy engine :)

19. Nash Trash or Supra Nash? 2.5l JDM Toyota twin turbo in a 1936 Nash.

Attached Files:

20. Vermonster

Vermonster

Sorry - EDIT- I meant to say "coupe-ster", not roadster....

Docc-

Nice! Glad to hear someone farther away appreciates Couper's work!

21. vwhammer

vwhammer

This is not a "traditional" rod by any means but I did find this on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdXuyLOTVUk&feature=related

I can't tell what engine it is but it appears to be a 5 cylinder which leads me to believe maybe it is a Volvo engine.
    Audi also makes a 5 cylinder but I am pretty familiar with them and it does not look like any that I have seen.

22. not hamb proofed but cool workmanship

23. I went the other way around with a SBC 400 in my 84 Jaguar XJS....sold it to pay bills, bummer. My next project is an early Dodge roadster ( 1916-1922, not sure of the year ) and you have me thinking about using a Jaguar 3.8 motor and trans I have access to. Might be fun instead of a hemi, or ??

24. the jag engines are light and powerfull,seems like a fair deal

25. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I have a mercedes m116 3.5 V8 in my roadster,I was going to install a m100 V8 ( 6.9 liter) but I'm too old to die at the wheel of something which produces 900nm of torque stock.
    [​IMG]
    the engine is going into something else later.

Mercedes V8's are strong, powerful and dirt cheap. I can usually pick up a whole Mercedes running for less than a worn out SBC will cost me. :)

26. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

eh? are taslking of the V12 or the XK 6?
    Both are seriously heavy especially the six.
    When I was employed rebuilding them I often thought of building an Offy clone by wacking the end off a XK and building 4 banger. :rolleyes:

27. realy ?? i thought they are out of alu ? masy i ber wrong

28. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

XK's are cast iron block with a alloy head. A real 1930's design though. One of the nicest looking engines ever sold but a real bitch to work on and get right. Tappet setting can take a full day.
    [​IMG]

29. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I worked on the engine in this thing in 1988. If you think the sprite with the jag is mad ,check this out. D type XK engine,D type cams,sand cast webers :eek:and a full history going back to the UK.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.spriteparts.com.au/fright.htm

30. V12s are ally, but obviously they will be heavier.

I like the idea of using a BMW motor. Ten a penny here!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009