Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the biggest "thing" you've ever HIT in your hot rod/custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RF, Aug 28, 2007.

1. couple of kangaroo's birds etc
    Was driving home in my ute at about 130km and came over a rise of !/2 inch ball bearing like gravel and in the middle of the road was a nice big roo, I put the anchors on and swerved to the right and my ute whent into the "bush perrioet",(flying in fucking circles between trees on gravel) missed the roo but wipped out out a white post on the side of the road while going backwards, spinning. I still drive it but now the door wont shut properly.

2. zorch

zorch

Nailed a dog in the country in a '67 Ranch Wagon--the Dog's owner asked me to put him into a gunny sack and bury him. Seemed like the least I could do--the guy was so drunk tho, I'm not sure he remembered it. Not as drunk as his son, who was sleeping on a pile of old tires with his trousers soaking wet from piss. I gathered they spent all their time drunk like that. Place was filthy.

Deep sixed a deer in a 65 Dart that same year. I was driving a 69 Mustang down thru Kentucky one night, had some dame in the pass. seat, all alone on the slab, when a deer galloped out of the trees. I hit the binders and slid that Mustang sideways for what seemed like a mile. Missed him, too.

In my motorcycle career I ran over a squirrel at well over a hundred on a Kawasaki triple--that evil handling bike almost turned a simple roadkill into a dead rider event. I've put the boot to many a pursuing dog as a bike rider in self-defense.

Worst and biggest thing I ever hit in a hot rod was a phone pole. I'd recently had a neck-fusion operation and had trouble turning my head around. Just didn't see the damn thing in my mirror and really banged it hard. Made me wish for the only time I had a bumper. But I didn't, and don't.

3. 1 deer so far have missed the 30 or so others
    driving my lowered 52 riv buick
    missed the toothy grill but puckerd the hood center pushing the buick emblem thru the radiator into the fan ..left me in the on coming lane of traffic in the rain.
    Moved that emblem at least 1 and a half foot back ..big buck deer got up and ran away?

The hoods just come off of that car by pulling both hood releases so replacement was ez when i found one a year later...!

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

I hit a deer with my old OT drag car. Surprisingly no big damage. Most stuff was carbon fiber and held up well.

5. I hit the side of a bank @ two in the morning years ago in my 56 f-100,heavy rain and they had this damn curb unmarked in the middle of the turn lane so at about 45 mph I hit it with my left front wheel and hit the bank head on so hard it set off the alarm,the damnFBI showed up because of the alarm and I ended up with two broken ribs...best part the city of Portland paid off good on it when my insurance company called them

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I hit a deer with my 39 ford about 45 years ago, wrecked the right front fender.

7. Deuce76063

Deuce76063

Damned. I thought my Dad was on here for a minute. He has told me that a thousand times I bet. He's 75 and I'm 50 and I bet the next time I say something about driving, he will say "Never run over a hog. They'll flip your car faster than anything." I always watch for hogs though.:)

8. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Seen this on a site i go to the guy hit a moose.

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  9. Brandi

Brandi

A Pontiac Sunfire.

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Biggest thing I ever hit was a honda accord. Actually.\, it kinda hit me.

11. My Dad put brakes on his 1965 Mercury Monterey Marauder, then started to back out of the driveway( it was about 80 ft. long). He went to put on the brakes, but he did not adjust them properly, he looked down at the brake pedal, forgot that our driveway had a slight bend in it, hit the 1958 Fan 16 ft. travel trailer parked next to the driveway. The trailer tongue swung into the driver's side rear quarter panel, the driver's side taillight assembly took out the front right side of the trailer which destroyed the table and seat inside the trailer. I stood there in shock at all the damage he did in less than 3 seconds. My younger brother was laying on the ground laughting his butt off and my Dad yells at me" Don't say one word, not one at all!!!!!"
    George

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  12. The night I traded for a nice '56 Chevy pickup, on the way to my buddy's to show him- I hit three deer on a bridge. Got out and looked at the damage, fender dented and grill busted.Three deer laying there. Go on to his house to get help to fetch deer. Deer are gone. The crowd at the beer joint down the road says 'yeah so-an-so says he found 'em- he's at his house.We get there and the guys are skinnin two deer and the spike is tied to the porch.We get the spike- buddy makes him a pet, keeps him in the old dog pen. The deer (Chevy) matures and they set him loose. The yard dogs kill him before he's outta site.

Ran over a St. Bernhard in a 71 Vega panel w/350. Thought I was gonna roll over.

13. Last August I needed to go to Loews to take care of some business. It is only about 4 miles from home. On the way back, a Canada goose on the left shoulder launched into flight and smack into the windshield on the old Vicky. Totally destroyed the windshield.
    [​IMG]

14. rixrex

rixrex

Me, not much..a big Golden retriever that was a known car chaser ran out in front of my BMW R90S, i held on tight and instantly broke its neck, best case for both of us..My wife is the champ though, recently took out a stone post mailbox in the 59 Edsel, she was looking over the backseat thinking she was in reverse, mashed the go pedal and Wham! took out the mailbox in front of her, cost me $250 and a little tweak in the front bumper..Buzzard recently swooped low and took out the drivers side mirror..she was rear-ended in the El Camino (she drives too slow) and as the guy pulled in front of her too sharply to pull over he clipped the front fender with a trailer he was pulling, double whammy!

15. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I hit Freakin' BAMBI!!!! Spent many hours working on the car at my buddy's shop. Went to get some chow, driving home in total bliss listening to my Doo-Wop when, WHAM! The damn thing was in the air when I hit her. Poor Bambi picked the wrong car to run out in front of. She's not frolicking any more! I suppose it's kinda funny that I hit a deer with my Impala, but I wasn't laughing at the time.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I was on final at a small gravel strip in Alaska and just as I was getting ready to touch down, two deer flushed out of the trees on the right and ran out onto the runway, one stopped and looked down the strip, the other slowed down as if to wait. I left the flaps down and shoved the throttle through the panel and did a rapid climb (thank goodness for STOL) as I turned back again, those two critters were obliviously nibbling at grass at the edge of the field. I buzzed them and they headed off. I did 'turns on a point' for about five minutes making sure they were gone. That would NOT have been much fun.

dj

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Does a house count? I was backing out of the driveway. It was the first time I had driven since the loss of my left eye and I hadn't learned to compensate for the lack of depth perception. Smashed the right front fender on my '58 Biscaynne.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-10_4-12-17.png

Hello,

When it was my turn to drive the 58 Impala, it was a very classy move for my brother to give me his chosen Impala. (Cost, of course...) He was going on to his next phase of his life with a new found support in surfing, desert motorcycle racing, and camping. So, the Impala did not qualify in any of those fields. I tried to teach my mom to drive the 3 speed, but she said she would pay to have the Impala have an automatic transmission. Now, the next phase for me was just getting settled.

One night, we had the California coastal fog that came all the way back to our house, several miles from the ocean. It was so thick, it was hard to see the neighbor’s house across the street. I did not know it at the time, but the older guy bought a 6 wheel military vehicle and it was for his newly found business of surplus stuff and importing/exporting.
    upload_2021-3-10_4-12-59.png 14000 pounds of a hunk of metal…

I had to get to a meeting in Bixby Knolls and carefully planned out my foggy route with plenty of time to get there. So, I carefully backed up out to the front yard and looked all around in the dense fog. I could not see across the street, but earlier during dinner, the street side curbs were empty as usual, since all of the homeowners parked in their driveways. But, for some reason, the truck obviously could not fit in the driveway, so it remained on the street, without anyone seeing such a big item.

Jnaki

Backing up as I did, the fog was thick and I gently backed up in the normal speed and angle. As soon as I got to the stopping place, something shook the whole Impala and I came to a halt. I got out and checked out what the H@## and saw my predicament.

The driver’s side rear fender curve had wedged into the bumper of the huge truck that came out of nowhere. I was totally amazed at that truck being parked on the street. The heavy fog made the surprise more clearly. I got the Impala clear of the truck’s bumper and was totally irritated at my neighbor.

But, I had to make my appointment, so I drove off gently, calming down while looking out of the window through the fog. There was nothing on the big army truck. Not even flaking paint on the ground. It just sat there...thinking it was the king and unmovable...which it was at the moment. (Later, another family had a similar incident and the big vehicle was moved, due to an illegal commercial heavy duty truck in a residential parking zone.)

The next day, the Impala was in Los Angeles at my dad’s friend’s place. It was getting a body work fix of “real lead.” The guy doing the work was one of the mechanics and was knowledgeable about any kind of tuning, but surprised me with his body work knowledge. By the night when my Impala was back at home, it was completely finished and painted a glossy black.

No one would know that it was damaged and fixed with “real lead.” (One thing the heavy, thick fog did was to hide the damage to the 58 Impala. Only my close friend, the owner of the 57 Bel Air Hardtop was the only one that saw the actual damage, until 1964.)

When I sold the Impala to a younger friend, in 1964, I told him of the story and the lead body work. He was impressed at the shiny black paint and said it looked as if it just rolled off of the custom car show floor. Then he rolled away in my old 1958 Impala to start a new chapter in teenage cruising and racing.

Impala backing up showing the parking place across the street.
    upload_2021-3-10_4-15-39.png
    The street side parking curb across the street near the front part of the Impala window was where the huge army truck was parked.

upload_2021-3-10_4-16-27.png
    My dad’s 57 Buick backing up exactly as we all did every day. The rear of the Impala and Buick almost went to the curb across the street. The house on the left was where the big army truck was parked on the incident night.
    Buick backing up

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Ron Funkhouser and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. Dan Haines

Dan Haines

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I know of 2 things that won't fit under the axle of my '36 Ford pickup. 1st was a woodchuck that left a pretty good chunk of furry flesh on my lower shock mount, 2nd was a large, hard rubber wheel chock I couldn't avoid in traffic.
    My right front wheel also hit the tail end of a Kia that made a left turn in front of me. Bent the spindle, axle, steering arm, hairpin and sector shaft of my steering box.

Gary

21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

One Each Barn Owl On Halloween So The Kids Had Fun With It... Inspectors 2016 009.JPG ...

chopped, Gotgas and High test 63 like this.
  22. High test 63

High test 63

I've hit two deer with my roadster.
    One i was putting along 25 mph and a little buck jumped in front of my T. He got hit by my front tire and went over top of the tire and then under the back tire on the passenger side, knocked the head light outta wack. He got up and scampered away.
    Second time i was moving considerably faster and a deer jumped in front of the T. The "nerf bar" infront of the radiator and the front drivers tire took the hit
    This time and put the deer down and i drove over it. That deer didn't fare as well as the first one. Im planning on fabbing a C.R.A. style bigger rounded type front nerf bar for the next encounter. I'm feeling very luck neither one caused more damage . IMG_20200706_090118_01.jpg IMG_20200713_072159049_HDR.jpg

23. brando1956

brando1956

Not a hit but a scary "almost." Just finished paint and engine mods on my quick OT sports car. Girlfriend and I go out to dinner. Had 25 mile x-way run home so I thought I'd let out the horses and see how they ran. I'd had just got on it and was running 105 when I saw a friggin' gang of deer coming from the right. No way I could stop and the front end of this car was just like a ramp into the windshield. All I could do was try to get there before they did so put it to the wood. Had the driver's side wheels half on the grass but squeaked by them at 115. Deer hair on passenger side mirror when I checked later. Girlfriend, now wife can verify. What's so scary? Five years later my brother-in-law was killed by a deer that came through his windshield after being hit by on oncoming car. He was driving a full size Crown Vic. He was on the way to a Lions game with 3 friends, was the only one hurt. Passenger got the car under control and stopped. Really made me think when I got that news.

High test 63 likes this.
  24. desotot

desotot

Ran over a racoon with my 27 rpu . It had an old 4" dropped super bell and 14" front tires. I wanted to take the tail for a new hat but my wife wouldn't lend me her nail clippers.

High test 63 likes this.
  25. Lil32

Lil32

at a rod run another rodder reversed into me
    99 hit me "I did not see you there "
    cost him

DSCN5529.JPG

High test 63 likes this.
  26. KFC

KFC
    from UK

A drive through McDonald’s in Italy

27. Koz

Koz

About 10 years ago, on the way to Fall Wildwood I hit a bridge expansion plate that had come loose and dropped into the pit at about 65. I was following my buddy in his ,'60 Vette and his wife was filming the caravan out the back just to see the rods running on the Turnpike. I saw him swing over into the right lane but had no time to react. The roadster had all four off the road and came down hard. The only thing I broke was both headlight stands. We taped them up by the side of the road as best we could and made it to the shore run.

My wife was talking to another lady in line at a restaurant and she told us her husband, a landscaper, had some kind of welder in his shop. We hooked up to meet the next morning and I welded them up with probably the best running Miller Mig I ever had my hands on. I thought this would keep me until I got home to Tig and polish the stainless.

Two years later I sold the car and they still wern't done over. OH well!

As a side note. We used to have a club thing that if you broke down on the way to Wildwood you had to wear the club cocktail dress to concert on Saturday night. It wasn't that bad....

28. goldmountain

goldmountain

I was following a friend, driving down a back alley when he turned into a parking lot at a neighborhood grocery store and I hit a curb I couldn't see with my rocker panel in my '47 Plymouth. Chopped tops sort of limit outward visibility. Ironically, I later bought the house right along the alley this happened.

29. 343w

343w

I had a nice buck run into the side of my B pillar on my 69 AMX running about 50 mph when I lived in Vermont, his horn put a small dent in it but we both survived..

30. I hit a raccoon that ran out in front of my '39 Ford convertible coming home from a cruse in at about 11 PM, the Raccoon was the only real causality but it did a good bit of damage to my 39 grille. HRP