Register now to get rid of these ads!

For ALL You FNG's...How'd You Find The HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I'm a long-time member of Competition Diesel.com and saw a link to the HAMB. I grew up around my Dad's rods and built a few of my own. Fell into building big HP diesels and sled pulling for awhile, but needed to get back to my roots with my children. We are building an A coupe with Desoto Hemi power. Came here looking for info on early hemis and found more knowledge here than Webster's Dictionary. Very cordial and helpful crowd(should I say family) here. Everyone jumps at the chance to help a fellow rodder. Thanks for such a warm welcome to a FNG. Love it. Steven.

2. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

So...you know her too!?!?:D

3. Larjk9

Larjk9

The board kept coming up whenever I'd GOOGLE for some tech tip. I figured why not just come to the source. Very glad I did. I'm certain it's part of garage rat heaven.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Kinda sad to say it now that I "get it" but I google searched ratrod. Fortunately I was led here and experienced the gospel for myself. Now through lurking alot of reading and getting involved with these old cars I am PROUD to say I know the difference between a traditional rod or custom and a ratrod. PS I also think alot of FNGs would benifit from hangin around awhile and learning the customs here before runnin thier trap!

5. STEVE CABALLERO introduced me to the hamb

6. wheelbilly

wheelbilly

I think I found it by looking at my server logs and seeing pics from one of the old Mooneyes Xmas gatherings while it was at the Sheriff's Academy posted here. I lingered and read threads but had a rock buggy project for a few years. Just sold that and have my T so I'm looking forward to becoming active here. I've been a longtime street rod fan, had a letter published in the 25th anniversary edition of Street Rodder as a young teenager, if even that old. I inherited boxes of old mags, American Rodder, Rod & Custom, etc etc from dad's friends. Always liked the old school looking rods so I was really excited to find this place.

7. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

I first heard about it on " My Classic car" on the show about the Traditional show near Chi-Town.
    Then when I bought my 41 from Chris ( Yes the Chris with the bitchen Model A) He was talking about it. So I thought I'd check It out.

8. chevy12

chevy12

heard about the site from a guy i work with John Schleicher, the builder of the Adonis clone and friend of Mark Moriarity. Just browsed the site for about 6 months and now i have a 29 A sedan in my garage that i found on this site. gathering parts now hope to start in the fall.

9. gold5000000

gold5000000

Found it on google while searching for a project and have been on everyday since. I dont plan on leaving anytime soon either there is too much information here to pass up.

10. Itsa48Ford

Itsa48Ford

Looking for pics of old iron and found this site .Way too much content to ever stop looking & learning.

11. Me too- Google image search- over and over, until I finally picked up on it.

12. kgriff

kgriff
    from CA

Was searching yahoo for info on 33-34 garnish moldings. One of the things that poped up was a parts for sale ad by member Chris, saw the avatar of his Model A and have been back at least once a day since.

13. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I found it through another hot rod board and yes i believe i will be staying awhile as i am amazed at the talent and tech on here that has already paid off in spades on my first full build. Saved me a lot of $$ and headaches before even getting started on mine by looking at how some others have done it and coming up with a half assed plan. THANKS

14. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

I was looking for home built shop tools, and it opened up on a very cool thread on how to turn a harbor freight bead roller into a nice lookin piece

15. noluck24/7

noluck24/7

A while back a friend of mine was having some electrical work done to a old ford and the guy doing the work was talking about how a bunch of HAMBers were coming over the following weekend to do a chop. He said a bunch of guys from here (some he didnt even know) volunteered to help and all he had to do was supply food and drink. He talked about how it was gonna be non-stop till it was done. Dont know how it turned out because the invite was HAMB only but with people willing to help out like that this is the place to be.

16. SGTKinzer

SGTKinzer

I was watching My Classic Car and Dennis Gage went to the Hunnert Car Pile Up. On the show the H.A.M.B. was mentioned and I checked it out immediately.

17. JackShaft

JackShaft

Tech posts etc. kept popping up in search engines and I traced it to the source. Et voila I've loved and lived here ever since!

18. smschriefer

smschriefer

I was doing a search for 52 Chevy parts and next thing I know I am spending 2-3 hours a day reading through technical posts and another 3-4 working on my car, spending loot and getting my wife pissed at me. Also had lot's of hits on anything technical I was looking for - this site hits on everything automotive. This site is addictive I tell's ya! Addictive! And I wouldn't want it any other way. ;)

19. jspero

jspero
    from Maryland

HAMB kept coming up while searching for info on setting up my Hilborn. After lurking for a while, I figured I'd join on the off chance I ever had something to add and my '31 seemed to fit in pretty good (pictured in my intro post).

Jay

20. Found a link on Vern Tardel's site.....
    Since my lay-off required a new budget for my long-term project, figured I would need to
    learn more about D.I.Y., and the HAMB Library cannot be beat!
    One problem, though, my wife is threatening to impound the computer! Have to agree,
    it IS addictive......

21. Pretty sure I stumbled on the HAMB via a link posted on jalopnik. I'll be around for a while.. lots of cool stuff happening here! :D

22. Herdez

Herdez

Well, I found this place by no accident. I almost quit hotrodding with all the new billet & turbo stuff you see in regular mags today. It wasnt fun anymore to just have Camel Humps and a (real) Holley in drag racing.

I began to notice a small handfull of retro hotrods in town pre 60s. This was like a long time ago 7+. Did a web search and ended up here. Didnt join for about 3 years. Plus a few cars we had as old junked projects ended up on here too Dang!!

Im here!

23. Joelchris

Joelchris
    from Pomona

I found out about the HAMB at the pomona swapmeet from the notorius Bad Bob.

24. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

I found HAMB one night when I was cruising the internet . I had Googled " old hot rods " and this site was one that came up . I was a " lurker " for a long time but finally registered two days ago . There's only so much looking and reading you can do until you want to join in . It's a great site and I really enjoy it ! :)

25. johnw9433

johnw9433

A buddy of mine introduce me to the HAMB. I have always been into older cars but knew very llittle about how to work on them. Thanks to the wealth of knowledge here on the HAMB I am now well into the restore of my 53 210. Love this site thanks everybody.

26. HotRod33

HotRod33

I sold a door latch to 3WLarry and he told me about the hamb...........

27. bigbal

bigbal

I was searching Google for A V8 Frames. I wnated someting a little different than SoCal or Speedway. Found Vaphead!! Been lurking around since Sept 2008 and finally sent my check in this week. I am here to stay.

28. imp610

imp610
    from Finland

My friend showed me this site, I`ve been "lurking" for a time now and finally got enough curriage to enter myself to this site. Alltough I have been in this hobby for over 20-years, I discovered reading this site that I`m still learning much about Hot Rodding...
    There is in my meaning so much new stuff to me so I decided to jump in...

29. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

Looking (google) for front suspension tech for my Nash a few years ago, and found what I needed on the HAMB. Finally signed up so I could ask a question. Went Alliance because I felt a bit guilty for getting so much while contributing so little. I've gotten much more from that than I've paid, too.

I've learned more (useful info) about hot rods in the last 2 years than I have in the rest of my life.

Join the Alliance

30. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Gary Terhaar sent me... and it's not the first time he's tainted me with bad habits.