Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead guys: Oh My GAWD! Edmunds 2x2 with carbs on Ebay sold for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Holy CRAP!!!

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...aprclo=&saprchi=&so=Show+Items&fsop=32&fsoo=2

11 bids ran it up there.

I know Edmunds intakes have a following, and are the oldest of the aftermarket Nailhead intakes. And there's an "oddball" factor with the 2x2 intakes, especially since the first 322 in '53 was already a 4bbl, and 4bbls were available thru '56. But still...

I'll stick to my Weiand 3x2 or 2x4, thanks. And it'll probably make more power to boot!

-Brad

2. tr12

tr12

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

super rare intake not surprised at all if I had a 322 I would have bid on it but all my stuff is for the bigger motors 401-425

LONG LIVE THE NAILHEAD!!:D:D:D:D

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Hmmmm, $1500? Anyone interested in an Edmunds 2x2 with correct factory 2x2 carbs off an early straight8? I might be willing to part with it at that price. Makes me wonder what the other intakes I have 'might' be worth. I might have to call my insurance agent in the morning and increase the coverage on the garage now...:eek:

At that price, I could sell off my intake collection and by a decent roadster turn key!!!

5. 49coupe

49coupe

High, but not really that crazy when you consider it's a rare intake and its complete. Price a 3x2 Offy, carbs, rebuild kits, linkages, etc and you're probably around $1,000.

If you want nuts, look at the prices of 3x2 speed parts for '58-60 Lincolns and Mercs. There's a guy selling the factory 3x2 carbs only for $5,000. The fuel pump is $800 and the Maurader air cleaner is $2,000 if you can find one. Now you still need the intake and linkage. So for a measily $10,000 you can put together a 3x2 intake for your 430 Lincoln/Merc. Oh wait, you still need the cam and the adjustable rockers.....get the wallet out again....

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, but the Edmunds 2x2 isn't THAT rare. It doesn't come up every week, but there's one on Ebay every few months or so. I see more of those than the Edmunds 2x4.

For an intake that probably doesn't perform all that well, especially compared to a Weiand 3x2. Or possibly a factory 4bbl, for that matter.

-Brad

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's approaching B262 territory now... I hate to see what the next one of those goes for...

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what's the big deal?

stuff on ebay regularly sells for several times what they are worth

just don't fall into the trap thinking that is a realistic gauge of value

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

Well said .

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hmm, if it sells, doesn't that sort reflect what it's "worth"?:confused: ;) Value is what the buyer, and seller, agree upon if anything is to change hands. That seems like alot to me too, but I'm not buying vintage speed parts to display on a shelf in my garage. If I were, they'd soon be covered by piles of other things I might use someday, bondo dust, overspray and scraps of paper with "good ideas" sketched on 'em!:D

11. You're right. I saw a weiand 6x2 intake go for $860 a few months ago. That was crazy. In no way should that price gauge the value of that intake. Great for the seller to get a few bucks but bad for the people that think that it's worth that much now. I can understand that some of these guys buy these things at high prices because they're in a bind and need it desperately and most importantly they have the money to spend but it shouldn't reflect value unless it consistently goes for that kind of money, or there is only one left in the world. :)

mike

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

You want rare Nailhead intakes, how about Max Balcholwsky 3 deuce intake for a 401/425... As mentioned above the internet often drives the price up as you just got to have the part, as it must be the last one around. Until the next listing...

13. ryno

ryno

on a side note>>>> not to thread jack you but.

what do you nailhead experts think real word dollar figure is on a factory 425 dual quad set up is?

thanks in advance.

14. Ebay is a combination of a guy who has just found the part that they have been searching for and the fever pitch of outbidding another guy who wants it as bad as you...I usually only buy stuff with a reasonable buy it now as the stress of checking back to see if I am the high bidder drives me crazy and I get pissed when I miss out by a buck in the last 10 seconds

15. Depends on condition of, and if included, matching orginal carbs, linkage, and/or air cleaner included. I paid $500 for one with matching carbs in good condition a few years ago when they were going for over $1000 on ebay. I thought $500 for an unrestored intake and carbs was a decent deal cause when you add rebuilding those carbs and getting correct linkage and air cleaner, I would easily have over $1500 in it.

mike

16. When you see something sell on eBay that doesn't sell every single day or week, figure it's actually worth about half - you have to compensate for the big money guys who have that one part and the guys who get caught up in the bidding just trying to win.

That's where eBay is great for the seller still, lots of people too lazy to pick up a Hemmings or go to a swap meet but they'll google or search eBay for what they want instead.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Auctions only set the market value for the 2 people that are trying to out bid one another. At least you know that one of your potential competitors has already got his fix.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Depends on condition. if it's just the parts (and complete) and the carbs need to be redone. $500-800 or so real world. If it's ready to go $1200+

Chances are you didn't miss out by a buck, with proxy bidding the guy may have bid $100 more, it just pushes it past your threshhold.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You never ever know the true story unless you're the buyer or seller.

I'm responsible for a $2K used M22. Auction invited bidders to come look at it, I went to look with cash and brought it home for a reasonable price. The seller said he'd have his buddy enter a stupid high bid to cover the auction......then a bidding war broke out.

Beware using ebay as real value.

20. I agree, there are people looking for a manifold to use like it was made, and collectors that want to hang it on a wall.
    Two different things.

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Been my experience the highest paying group of customers will plan to use them. In a really really sweet car.

Lot of us like to blame the wall-hangers for escalating values. Makes it easier cause you don't have to admit your own involvment.

We've ALL sold something for more than we felt it was worth because the money was being waved around, and we've all BOUGHT something for more than it's worth to get a project on the road.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yeah. I didn't mean to sound mercanary, but it does sort of sound like grumbling to complain that an ebay price is exaggerated, or that a particular thing isn't REALLY worth what it sells for just because it sold on ebay. If you need it, or want it, it's worth whatever it costs.

One good thing about ebay is one is able to research what things have sold for, so a person can watch, research and make a decision about how much they can or should spend. In this era of 50,000 dollar rough unrestored Willys coupes and 250K Pontiac Lemans, a little research can go a long way!

23. I think it'll be even funnier if it ends up on some worthless, rusted, clapped out piece of shit:eek:

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's true! The reverse works too, I just sold a 331 Hemi to guy I know cheap, as I didn't need it, want it, have a place to store it or even unload it, and got some flak here 'cause it was "too cheap". Go figure.

25. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

If the guy who bought it thinks he got a sweet deal then he's happy and the sellers happy and the Ebay mystique is preserved. :)

26. nail-head

nail-head

Speaking of Balcholwsky, that Edmonds sale makes this look like a bargain:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...62QQcategoryZ34198QQihZ001QQitemZ110328804399

Someone asked about a factory 2x4 up the thread, I saw one go for about $400 just a few weeks ago...but it was just a bare manifold.

That $425.00 Eelco is looking pretty good right now.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

28. nail-head

nail-head

Was that his?

I stand corrected. I stopped watching it when it hit $400.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm thinking these days ebay is the place where prices are set. I used to sell a lot, and sold quite a bit for abuddy of mine. he'd show me some price guide and I'd tell him the only price guide worth a shit is ebay.

too bad the company took a good thing and is slowly ruining it trying to be like Amazon selling a bunch of new crap. rare car parts still seem to do good there, but the prices for the more common items have fallen in the last year.

30. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

You notice the guy that paid that price isn't bitchen'............looks like that intake made two people happy