Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tennessee guys and gals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michigan Rick, Jan 27, 2009.

1. BigRed390

BigRed390

I've gotta agree with the "bought it new off the lot yesterday. What's a custom?" line. I love chatt-town, but there's not much of a traditional scene here.

However, it's not much of a drive from the smokies, Nashville, Huntsville, etc. and property values aren't hyper-inflated. We've got a drag strip within pissing distance of "town", and there are some pretty quick OT street cars around as well. Coker tire is based here (just a few blocks from where I work, actually), as is Honest Charley's Speed Shop. If you're into roundy-round cars, theres a dirt track in town and another 30 miles up the road in Cleveland. It's a great place to live with lots of nice people. The downtown riverfront section is pretty much becoming a tourist town, so it's a low-crime area and has pretty good food too! Might want to give it a look.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife & I are looking to escape from Upstate New York weather, politics & taxes. We're getting older and I want to use my cars all yuear long. My daughter & her family live in Alvaton, KY, which is about 7-miles east of Bowling Green. I love the area and would move tomorrow, but the wife wants a few more years up here with the younger g'kids.

We're also considering middle- to eastern-Tennessee. We go down to visit the daughter 6 or 7 times a year and always take a few days to scout out one or another area in Tennessee. Beautiful country and friendly people, for the most part.

3. That explains a lot. :D

JH

4. hahaha! As a former Livingstonian, and TTU drop-out, I completely agree(you figure out which quote!:D)

Mid-Tenn all the way, baby! :cool:

5. I think I could do Chattanooga too .. Pretty neat place + the Little Debbie factory is close. The Double Cola factory, Moon Pie and is the home of Krystal Burger. How cool is all of that? Amazing aquarium there and the Chattanooga choo choo. All in all a pretty cool place. I could do it! Close to Atlanta, Nashville and is on the Highlands trail.

6. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

wow ive been thinking bout moving over to that area thinking bout it more and more everyday

7. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

RiverBend Festival

Imax 3D theatre

TVA / Chickamauga Dam

New VW plant being built

Hamilton Place (USED to be TN's biggest mall)

Lookout Mtn / Rock City / Ruby Falls

New Blue Cross headquarters being built

U.S. Express headquarters

...and home to the Famous Roger Alan Wade who went gold with Hank Williams writing and performing "Country State of Mind". Roger plays every night at a new spot in town for anyone who comes to listen. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=32179609

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Recently moved here from L.A.(lower Alabama). Middle Tennessee is a great place to live. Really.

9. aceuh

aceuh

We're just south of Chattanooga...It's right smack in the middle of Nashville, Knoxville and Atlanta. I know there's always people from here (or insert your own locality) that want to get out of here but there really is a lot within driving distance for the automotive enthusiast. Not to mention healthcare is readily available and the cost of living is relativly low compared to lots of parts of the country.

10. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

As a born-Memphian, I've got to agree with those who tell you to stay away. Memphis is the armpit of TN. :eek:

Moved to Jackson in 2000 and thought I'd died and gone to heaven...wonderful place and met my wife there. Would go back in a NY minute...

Moved to Murfreesboro in 2005 and it's great here...nice clear streams, lotsa hot rod going's on and good people. :)

Just stay in the border of Brownsville to Kingsport and ya can't go wrong. :D

11. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

We bought property a few years ago in N.E. Tennessee and love it. Hope to retire there. Mailing address is in Speedwell - gotta be a car place.

Realtor said a lot of his sales were to halfbacks - people who retired to Florida, then moved 1/2 way back. 4 wonderful seasons, not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter.

Tennessee has a lot to offer. Check it out.

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

don't mean to hijack the thread,BUTTTTTTTT whats wrong in memphis,or with memphis? thugggs? like b'ham?just wondering again:confused:

13. Michigan Rick

Michigan Rick
    from Owosso Mi.

Holy Smokes.........thanks for all the info. Got some more things to check out this summer by the sounds of it.

Midnight50....we smoked our brakes coming down Lookout Mtn a few years ago in full size van = can't do curves at speed. Got a buddy who lives off 127 in Signal Mtn.

Glad there seems to be alot of car stuff all over the state... We haven't picked an area yet but have enjoyed everywhere we've been. The bride is not a big twisty turny road driver sssooooooo that might lead us to certain areas. Plus she has an aunt by Spring Hill.

When we come this summer maybe we'll do some cruise-ins to feel out some places.

You Tennesseeians rock....thanks for the tips again

Michigan Rick

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

if your coming this way anyway, come around the time they have the hot rod reunion in bowling green ky. around fathers day,can't remember the exact date,but thats fast becoming a "can't miss" show,and then the next weekend is good guys in nashville.........i think. dang i got to get a calender for home.:rolleyes:

15. kustomrace

kustomrace

Rick,I live in michigan and work in ootawah(I still can't spell it)just above cahattanooga.I would move there in a heartbeat,but I have to many people here.The people are friendly,and helpfull.The weather is a plus....Dave

16. Don't even think about Memphis.

17. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

At least the last time all the Yankee's came down we got to shoot at them and then they left... :^)

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Dave said it right (but spelled it wrong) Ooltewah... is the fastest growing area in Tn. We are 15 min. north of Chattanooga. 1 hour from the rod runs in Pigeon Forge and Knoxville, 2 hours form the Goodguys in Nashville, and 2 hours from Atlanta. The weather is great, we have about 2 months of winter. January and febuary are cold, but we still have 60 deg. days in there. March thru December are months that I drive my Hot Rods. I've driven my shop truck all week (with no heater), and it's still january. It's green most of the time, and we haven't seen over 1" of snow at my house in the last 6 years. It's hot as hell in the summer, but thats better than snow! Old cars are everywhere.

We always welcome a new Hot Rodder to the area.

Here are some pics from last spring rod runs. The racing shot is this time last January, see no snow. It was 60 deg.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

Attached Files:

19. ratster

ratster

i was called a damn yankee when i moved here and I don't even like baseball.

20. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Kevin, We've had more salt on the roads than snow up here in K town. Every time the weather man predicts snow the state pours out the salt. Maybe this rain will wash some of it off. I usually only keep ins. on my hot rods for 6mo. from April to Sept. that gets almost all the shows and saves a little money.

21. Count Scrapula

Count Scrapula
    from Mid TN

Born and raised in Crossville TN, as well as my parents, grandparent, and their parents. Never felt any reason to leave. Small town, but growin. Lots of car guys around here and lots of retirees bringing their old cars with them when they come. So many in fact that the locals are being out numbered. If you're into golf there's a lot of courses around here. Very centrally located. Right on I-40. Many very big shows within 2-3 hr. drive. Both Nashville and the Great Smokey Mtns are about a 2 hr. drive and Knoxville is about an hour drive. Our local monthly cruise in last season drew as many as 400 cars. We live on a plateau and the wheather is usually a few degrees cooler in the summer and that makes it nice for cruising. My brother on the other hand lives in Chattanooga and it is sweltering in the summer time. If you have any questions feel free to send a pm.
    By the way do you know the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee.
    A yankee comes for a visit and a damn yankee comes to stay. HA HA.
    Just a local joke.
    Later
    Count

22. primed34

primed34

Please stay a way from the Kentucky Lake area. We are trying to change the name to Cary aka containment area retired yankees. If you like boating, it's the place to be.

23. kustomrace

kustomrace

Ooltewah....I will never learn to spell that.

24. Memphis...aka 'the killin' fields'. Lived there 30yrs, still have folks there. It's gettin' worse every year.

25. greazy john

greazy john

knoxville area is good lots of cars cruise ins every weekend plenty of things to do with in 100 milearea been here 12 years been good to my family also my restoration biz is well

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

You don't need to learn how to spell Ooltewah, or even Tennessee for that matter.... Just learn how to say "GO BIG ORANGE" and you will fit in just fine! If you're gonna live in Tennessee you have to be a Volunteer!

That's just ALL there is to it.

Leave those Wolverines up there in the snow...

Welcome to SEC Football.

Kevin

27. kustomrace

kustomrace

I don't know,you guys where pretty bad last year.we where not much better.......Dave

28. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

+1
    I lived there for 46 years - 5 for uncle sam. and my folks are still stuck there too. :(

Wanting to hit the Powerball so I can get them out before it's too late. :cool:

29. lehr

lehr

Are you closing the bike shop...How could you leave warm and wounderful Michigan ?

Pat.

30. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>knoxville area is good lots of cars cruise ins every weekend plenty of things to do with in 100 mile area>>>

Wifeypoo wants to head south as well, we looked around greater Knoxville last summer for a couple days (and have vacationed in the area a couple times) and like it there.

How's the job market? If I could find decent work down there I think she could talk me into moving fairly easily right now.

I have a real estate Broker's license, automotive experience (of course) and can weld pretty well too.

But no college degree. How do you TN locals feel about job prospects for a transplant like myself?

My oldest is finishing college this year and my youngest starts High School in September so it may be good timing to do this for us.

Al (Go Vols!) in CT