Register now to get rid of these ads!

For ALL You FNG's...How'd You Find The HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. krooser

krooser

One time or another we were all "new" over here.

I was lucky enough to find this site years ago but could never really figure out the original "bulletin board" or whatever it was so I just read the articles that came from the regular columnists and Ryan.

I lost track of the site for a few years and got back on board with the newer format.

Recently I've noticed a flood of FNG's here... so many guys with just a few posts... and they seem to keep on coming. And many of the guys who have previously been here with thousands of posts are either gone or just lurking.

So my question is... How'd you find the HAMB.... and are you planning on staying because of your love for traditional cars or you just kinda "passing thru"?

And for the guys who no longer post very much... I know many of us miss all the knowledge that you guys produced all these years... how about coming back on board?

2. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

I just joined not too long ago, i found this place from a link over on www.Moparts.com

seemed like a pretty cool place to be so here I am! this place is helping me with the theme of my Traditional 56 plymouth hotrod i'm working on, keeping i old school as someone in the 60's put it together, i found it abandoned in a body shop.

3. heavytlc

heavytlc

I was looking for info on the type of stuff I wanted to build. Found my way here from Google I think. That was more than 5 years ago. took awhile to start posting. I have nothing worth while to add to the board, but I learn alot.

4. Shane from Baleigh sent me here from offroadfabnet.com I haven't gotten anything done since!!! I'll be sticking around, I love this place!

5. Found the HAMB through the SAMBA back in 2002. Just observed until I had a car that was HAMB-worthy and even waited awhile then to join. Joined after the last great change Ryan made a little while before I joined. I joined on 7-11 as a joke. "Where'd you learn to do that kid?", "7-11."-Weeks

6. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

The second car to the right and straight on till moaning..

7. mrdodge

mrdodge

Found it thru a couple of friends on here (simonsez & OBFB HA/GR) Also was in the US last year and attended the HAMB drags. Met heaps of neat people and saw some real cool cars. Also spend a bit of time on landracing.com and HAMB quite often gets mentioned. Huge amount of great information on how to's on here which will sure help with my Model A roadster build once all the parts are together

8. ratster

ratster

some Greazer looking dude named Spooky when he work at Home Depot or Lowes about 10 years ago when we both lived in Colorado

9. Flood of FNG's indeed.

But do they read the 'read this first' part? I don't think many do. And if they do, a lot don't seem to understand it. And I think that goes a way to explaining why a lot of longer time members don't post much anymore.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

i seen hamb mentioned on racingjunk. come to visit and stayed. this is the only sight i cant wait to get to. i love it. i grew up with these type of cars so its like a step back in time for me and i aint never going back to the future.

11. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

my cousin was talking about this place called "Honkey ass message board".. said there was alot of cool people like Nads on here.. so i lurked for a bit till I got used to navigating and then joined... spent hours and hours here since..
    :)

12. econolow

econolow
    from Ladner BC

My friend Christian Delaplace , He inspired the livin shit out of me when I was younger ! Allways buiding custom shit, and showing me everything. He was a Ford man. He could build anything he wanted. And every time I see an old sick ride or hear Joe Walsh singin 'Life's been good to me' I just wanna do somethin that would've made him smile! So I did I got me one of those econoline pickups that he had in his garage and I go do burn outs and laugh my ass off.
    I'll never forget you Christian !

And then you could say the HAMB found me.

13. cdansie

cdansie

When I asked my cousin Elroy how he found out information on his pets he told me to just Google it. Well I typed in hambsters and got this site but I aint seen no hambsters yet. At least none that look like mine

Chris

14. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

Was looking for parts for a 55 Bel Air I was helping restoring 3 yrs ago. Just lurking from that point on, but recently i've been hanging out with my old friends there were into hot rods during high school, and i sure in hell dont wanna grow out the scene like they did. There is some much more I wanna learn and do to cars. I use the hell out of the search function during the day and look forward to the old schoolers posting up. I guess this site is my "zen" and I wont be making the mistake of "passing thru"

David

15. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

i love it. lots of good info and a place to spew all my useless knowledge. haven't got to rip on someone or get ripped back since my my 7 children moved out.

16. D Staig

D Staig

Heard it mentioned in TRJ i think. Started lurking a couple of years ago, reading the classifieds looking for parts then getting into all the informative tech articles and seeing the great engineering happening all over the place.
    The negativity and unproductive comments that surface sometimes is not good but i guess you'll get that anywhere. I find the HAMB to be an invaluable resource so i'll be paying my membership for many years to come.

17. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

im happy i finally made it to newbie! i found the h.a.m.b. when i first bought my 31 tryin to get inspiration and info on how i wanted to build it. i only lurked for a couple of months. i found it again about a year or so ago from the friday art show and have stayed ever since. im young so im here more to learn then inject and uneducated opinion.

18. I've been lurking 3 or 4 years. I just found it as it kept coming up in Google searches I did on various topics. Liked what I saw and kind of gravitated towards it. I used to spend a lot of time on Hot Rod and Car Craft's forums but it's almost pointless these days. As far as older members here not posting anymore, I think the site is pretty much saturated with knowledge from them. If they haven't done anything new in a while, they have nothing new to post, and God forbid anybody touch on anything that has been covered in the last 5 years already, lest they get their shit jumped for it. Search function does work very well though.

19. Found the H.A.M.B. thru my fellow Framebender : Outlaw Bender,who was hanging out here instead of getting something done in his garage.

He said : Check it out,it,s full of people just like You and me,so I did and now I'm not getting anything done in my garage/shop/shack either...

But I will probably always be a FNG since I can't se no reason to post a bunch of useless one-liners all over the board just to climb a step on the ladder,I am what I am and knows what I know regardless of my current status as a FNG here on my second home : The H.A.M.B.

Be good : Havoc Bender "Framebenders" CC Gestrikland Sweden

20. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

I'll be staying, you cant beat the information available on here, not to mention the inspiration.

21. PoPo

PoPo

an exfriend told me about it, I had a screen name and lurked for a while. The board moved so fast I hated it, I stopped coming by. then I forgot my screen name and password so I made a new one and learned the rule of "TABS" and now I can't leave. I do go to other site but this is my only car forum! Traditional is the best and it doesn't get any more Perfect than the HAMB.

Oh and I DON'T Plan on leaving!! I have too many projects brewing in my brain!

22. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

Found it thru a few stovebolt members. Joined to look for a solution to a current project. This is one of 5 car forums that I am on.

23. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

people kept telling me about this forum were they love rat rods and rockabilly and hate billet, i never understood why people take a 60 year old car and try to make it look like something built in the nineties in 2005 using all parts made in 2004 so ended up checking it out, i didnt sign up for another 2 years as i was sticking to local forums only then.
    about a year after signing up i didnt come on here much for about a year, when i returned i quicly learned you cant say rat rod anymore.
    i was never into rat rods but i thought this was real funny.

24. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Was doing searches for Model A pics and came up with a hamber on google, went to the board and started reading posts .........low and behold I found people like me ....so here I am .....and I'm in for the long haul..... enjoy it nice peopel and a good way to uunwind after a day full of dealing with sheeple who dont have a clue.

25. Thumper

Thumper

It was wrote on the shithouse wall in a truckstop in Paducah Ky.

26. Bman416

Bman416

I heard of this site in either OSR or CKD magazines. I love this forum. I don't post too much except for the Friday Art Show when i have some new work. I do look at this site everyday though. Every now and then I'll add my $0.02. I love this site and have told alot of people about it. I used to be into muscle cars but ever since i started striping I've been more into the '50's and '60's customs. this place is right up my alley.

Brian

27. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

I found it years back when looking for Model A frame info I think. I know it was back when I had the A. I never joined just because I never had a need to post. Now I am married with children and I am at home more often with the rugrat at night and I have extra time on my hands now to post...

28. I read TRJ and this was mentioned several time there and now, I am hooked on the HAMB!....well it and my TRJ, if your not a subscriber to it your missing out on the finer things in life!

29. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

Searching build ideas for my 36 Ford and I ended up here. The info available here is unbelievable, plus I'm a member of the I Hate Billet Club. If I see one more fiberglass 37 Ford 350/350 combo that looks like a wrecked space ship I'm going to kick someone!! Cruise nights around here are a bunch of cookie cutter cars who's owners brag about how much they spent on their cars and how little they drive them.

30. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

An article in Jalopnik sent me here. Now I cannot stop. Do I need help? No, this is therapy already.

Scrump