Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty Nuts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspert, Jan 27, 2009.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I recently saw an ad for a Loctite product that freezes rusty nuts to loosen them. Has anyone tried this yet? Don't know how much it costs, but if it works it's probably worth it. Says it freezes down to -45. Must be freon or liqiud nitrogen. Could be dangerous too.

2. Best way to loosen rusty nuts is to heat them close to red hot and wipe a candle around the bolt or screw next to the nut the heat will wick the wax into the threads of the nut and bolt to lubricate and the heat kills the rust , works every time , Just be carefut to not catch anything on fire and let it cool slightly before putting a wrench or socket to it ,,,,,,,

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Weird... Cooling steel makes it contract. You'de think that would make them harder to get off..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

""Best way to loosen rusty nuts is to heat them close to red hot and wipe a candle around the bolt or screw next to the nut the heat will wick the wax into the threads of the nut and bolt to lubricate and the heat kills the rust , works every time , Just be carefut to not catch anything on fire and let it cool slightly before putting a wrench or socket to it ,,,,,,,"

I'm gonna try your little candle trick, Ive never heard that one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Maybe the idea is to cool and contract the threads to loosen the nut?

5. V7

V7

I've tried the stuff..it's made by CRC ,and I can't say that I was impressed. I will however continue the "field trials " as I have the better part of a can left.
    Steve (V7)

6. Large_911

Large_911

Interesting! I will have to remember this.

The "freezing" technique makes sense. Definitely not liquid nitrogen though. I worked w/ this a bit at my last job...I think it is ~-190C or so...

7. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

use the wax trick, works everytime. A friend of mine bought that kit but has not used it yet so I don't know if it realy works or not.

8. careyohio

careyohio

......opps!....my mistake.....thought this was going to be a medical question....oh! well.....guess I'll just have to make a doctors appointment......

9. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Dammit Boy........That wax trick is a new one on me. Gotta try it. I've always had good luck w/Liquid Wrench. I guess everybody has their favorite. As my daddy used to say, " Many a tight nut has been loosened by a small wench"...........

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

I tried the freezing stuff when it first came out & it did work for me (although I can't recall what the situation was). The heat wax thing is good if you have a problem where there's no danger of damaging something else.

11. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Let BP soak on them for 15-20 minutes, never heard of the freezing method.

12. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

PB BLASTER or MOUSE MILK.... Both work good..

13. I have a half a can left at work, it smells really funky and didnt seem to work at all. We use stuff called Yeild, it works really well, I like it better than PB Blaster even.

Brad

14. mrdodge

mrdodge

We have a product here by a french company called Orapi Reduce 4. Apparently very good and used by both the french and US military:)

15. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Thanks for all of the replys but I only wanted to know if anyone had tried it before I spend my money on some of it since I'm a tight ol bastard.

16. zbuickman

zbuickman

torch and wax is the best Ive ever used... never seen any thing out do it yet:)

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Agreed agreed agreed. The candle wax trick is the best. Can work better than heat alone (because you don't have to get things as hot), or heat with ANY of the various penetrating oils out there (PB, Gibbs, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, and on and on).

18. Hot wax on nuts!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

wd-40 and atf mixed todether

20. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

Grip tite socket will get the job done-