Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS Pic Request....Chopped, Gold '58 Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I've taken the time to read the other GNRS Threads. Have any of you got additional pics of the Chopped/Gold '58 Olds? I'd really appreciate you posting them....I know there's a move to consolidate all those threads. I'd like a shot at getting those pics of that one car....Can anyone tell me anything about the car? Who built it? Thanks All....Centurion9

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, got photos of it. LOVED it. Don't think I took a photo of the info placque for the car though. Will post my photos and coverage by the end of the week.

3. poorboy

poorboy

heres the only ones i have
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is John D'Agostino's '57 Olds called "Golden Star."

From his website:
    [​IMG]

5. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

6. Rikster

Rikster

I think he is talking about this car. John D'Agostino's

OZ Kustoms built it.

Howard Gribble photos...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Albert Wallace Photo...
    [​IMG]

I enlarged and skewed it to be able to read the sign...

[​IMG]

7. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

thats nearly better than a tit fuck!!........

8. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

9. that thing was pretty cool. didnt care much for the roof trim though

10. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Also D'Agostino, I'm a big fan of his work. He always manages to build a custom that respects and accentuates the lines and identity of the original car.
    Another car of his, The Aladdin, was parked next the The Golden Star. Love that Starfire.

11. Oz and his son are gods! Every year they turn out a bunch of stunners.

12. I liked that '58...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what a great looking car. most of his other cars are a bit to "flamboyant" in the paint and upholstry side of things for my tastes.

14. Thanks very much Guys....Both the '58 that I asked for and the '57 are just unbelieveable to me, that in addition to my Favorite Custom of all time, the Firestar Bulletbird all seem to have come from the same great builders and dreamers. I think I'd be satisfied to have all three in my garage....Thank you all.....Centurion9

15. Mopar34

Mopar34

That's a really nice looking 58. It's amazing how they can take a gaudy and ugly 58 and turn it into something really nice.

The absolutely stunningly beautiful gold 57 on the other hand is certainly the cat's meow.:cool:

Sorry, we 57 owners are just a little snobbish.:eek::D:D

16. Taylor Street Rods

Taylor Street Rods
    from So. Cal.

Here's a picture we took of the sign.

-Taylor Street Rods

Attached Files:

17. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

Thanks ,you really mean you a big fan of my and my sons work,john doesn't touch the car until the day of the show,I'm the one that put in 18 hours day for the last month to get it done ,so thanks much,oh yeah by the way i do all the design work to,I would think after 10 or 11 cars i did for john, people would get things straight,but he blow's more smoke than me,I think its time to set thing right-----thanks oz

18. Yeah Oz...but don't blame us. You and your Son do indeed do some beautiful work. Seems to me like your complaint lies more with the arrangment you and D'Agostino have. We're just the guys who love the cars. Maybe you should stop taking work from him and letting him steal your thunder. Spend the money, build it for yourself and stop whining....still a fan......Centurion9

19. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

History will reveal you, do not worry.................

20. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

I liked the 57 better when these cars were new, being 10 years old having a paper route I can remember these cars. (Not to change the subject of the Oldsmobile but there was nothing like a 57 Chevy Convertible, just my opinion.) The 58 had too much chrome when it was new but these guys made this one nice. The paint on the 57 and the 58 is really nice. One more thing that I really like is the rear window on the 57. Those were the days when most kids love to see the new cars come out.

Thanks for the pictures.

21. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

The rear glass design on the 57's are outstanding. OZ Kustoms builds KILLER cars period. (the 58 ain't bad either)

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The car was stunning. I had to go back to it about half a dozen times thoughout the weekend to check it out again.
    Thanks for clearing up who actually built the car

23. tommy v

tommy v

he put your name on the sign, why are you crying, i think everybody knows the big dollar cars are not built by the owner's

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

[​IMG]

Looks like he is giving credit to all the craftsmen involved to me. :confused:

I'm surprised to hear your gripe, you are well known in the industry for building beautiful cars for D'Agostino, and also Zocchi too I believe. I was amazed at the job you did on the Caballero wagon. You do great work, don't think it isn't recognized.

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I wonder what the rechroming bill was...

26. zombie

zombie

i think one of the problems is the way the media portrays this. i have seen articles that say oz mixed up the candy paint, and that is the only mention of the builder. i too would be irritated by the lack of credit. this is why several years ago when oz came by my booth, i had no idea who he was, however when he mentioned john d' agostino's cars i knew exactly who and what he was talking about. johnny d is one hell of a promoter, and i personally believe the builder should get as much credit as the promoter.

zombie

27. backinsixtythree

backinsixtythree
    from washington

I agree with OZ ...but dont bite the hand that feeds you! We know whats going on...let us spread the word for you.

28. Seems a bit weird to publicly lash out at what I would think is one of his biggest customers. I may be wrong but when a guy is building a minimum of a car a year at your shop seems like you would approach the situation a little differently. Maybe they had a falling out. Regardless I still love everything that I see that comes out of that shop.

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was wondering who did the design work on his projects. I asked the guys that I
    thought were in the know and they all thought that it was his ideas. So I was one
    of the guys that thought John did the design work and you all did all of the work.
    I'm glad that you set us straight. I'm a huge fan of your work!!

I'm curious to see what ya do with the '58 Packard. Yes, I'm a Kustom nerd.

Happy Trails,

Mick

30. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Hey Assguy...I've got a vision!:D