Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Don Johnson

Don Johnson

I'm a new old guy...not new to Drag Racing, Bonneville, or hot rods though. Original member of the Road Kings of Burbank with Ivo, Prudohmme, Lippencott, Safford, and all the rest. Built and raced a lot of top fuel and funny cars with a few 'no charge' drivers before I got into the seat after the divorse was final (McEwen, Westmorland, Lippencott etc.).

First top fuel car (chassis by Fjastad SPE and Ed Pink power) in NHRA history to officialy break the dreaded 6 second barrior at a points meet in Carslsbad, CA. with The Goose driving (6.79). Made a lot of match runs accross the country when there was a drag strip in every town over 10,000 population. Won a couple of NHRA national events too.

Ran a lakester at Bonneville and set B lakester record with 300" hemi (owned by Jeff Shipely) in '61 (255.501) and promptly got into the 2 club by destrying the old record. Car was really different and worked good. First ran the car with Roy Fjastad's unblown hemi, then re-did the car so I could see out of it.

Looking for one of the 17 race cars I owned to restore, but no luck yet. The lakester was completely restored by a noted street rod builder in Montana.

Won the Baja 1000 in a Datsun Olympia beer sponsred class seven truck and finished up in a 250cc shifter cart.

I'm out.....

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Welcome aboard Don. I remember you from back in the days. Lots of success in Top Fuel. Do you currently have a hot rod or maybe thinking of building something? Hope you tell some tales of the wild days of Top Fuel. If you're not aware of it, there's a thread called "Drag Cars in Motion" that ought to bring back some memories for ya. Good to have you here. Mike

3. bruce hylton

bruce hylton
    from toledo wa

4. kman1932

kman1932

Welcome to the HAMB, Don, nw. pa.

5. welcome man....Surfer Westomoreland drove my grandparents fueler in the early days too..Everyone take notice, this man has awesome history in drag racings golden years...

6. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Welcome from SoCal

7. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Don, Hello & Welcome from South Texas.

Lucky667

8. LUSK

LUSK

Hello from Olympia, Wa.. I would love it if you would post some old photos related to the OLYMPIA DATSUN!

9. Welcome aboard. Beachcomber thread title caught my eye, turned out to be the real thing. Neat!

10. Welcome to the HAMB, look forward to hearing from a legend like you Don. From Hank in Pennsylvania.

11. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Welcome aboard Don I met you in Australia when you toured here in '72 - '73 I think, with your 426 hemi dragster. Good to see you are still around, I hope you find one of your rails to restore, good luck.

12. onenew32

onenew32

Welcome from deep East Texas :)

13. MoonDog

MoonDog

Wow. New to this. This aint the Beachcomber Johnson that has the pic (perhaps Popular Hot Rodding?) Steve Reyes pic? Scuse the spelling... Of the car, Fibreglass lid up on the sand?!!! Crikeers! I got that in the vault some somewhere.. and i live a Zillion miles away-too Cool! All the best brother! MoonDog.

14. Welcome Don...I just talked with Jeff Shipley the other day.... He is planning on being out on the salt next month with his streamliner.