Register now to get rid of these ads!

DEUCE OF SPADES HOTROD FILM UPDATES - photos from the Saugus and dry lake shoots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Wow, that IS an honor - congrats, Faith!
    Meanwhile, still pulling levers and trying to make things happen here. But it's agonizingly slow going...

2. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Thank you Steady T :)

Did more auditions last night. Finding older actors that look like the young actors has been challenging. There is progress though, so I think I am going to be OK after all :). All the actors (who are in their early 70's) wanted to see the deuce LOL. One of them commented:

"yes! I remember going for a ride in the rumble seat of one of these back then."

Said it was a lot of fun!

Meanwhile I took my assitant Stacey for a spin, in which I demonstrated my full throttle and she had both her arms up in the air, screaming her head out.... :D

that was fun.

I was glad I didn't lose my battery (which is just sitting in the trunk) since I dont even have a trunk lid on yet, and the cables are just sitting on the terminals and not bolted on just yet...

I am also glad we didn't catch on fire :eek: since apparently my fuel pump was leaking again... Looks like we are taking everything apart once again tonight and this time we will put teflon tape on ALL the connections, because it seems they will invariably end up leaking if we don't. The liquid stuff does not work. Live and learn.

3. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Go Scotty GO!!! :D

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

I'm going, I'm going!
    Didn't think I'd ever hear you say that...

5. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

HEY Keith, I see you are looking for La Salle parts. I happen to know where there are 2 Lasalles sitting, for spare parts :D. It's on a large property in Fillmore where I filmed several scenes...

If you want I can maybe put you in touch with the owner. I think he was open to selling some of the parts. Maybe he has your yoke?

6. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Another night spent working on the deuce. Jerry fixed the leaking fuel pump and finished two of he Nogahide panels, and they fit perfect :D. After work I joined him and we painted the exhaust manifold cast iron color.

THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: I printed my first movie poster and we framed it. Wow. Now it looks like we really have a movie!!! :D

I regret to say I will not be at the GNRS this year, because my priority is to finish the car so I can resume to film promptly. I'll catch it next year though, for sure!

7. Abomination

Abomination

Hell, by next year, it may have a kiosk and a couple more of those movie posters on easels around it, what with it being an official "movie car" and all. ;)

That'll be AWESOME!!!

~Jason

8. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

Any chance of being able to buy a copy of your new Movie Poster? We HAMBERS would love to get one to hang on our garage wall or Den. Please let us know :>)

9. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Well, this is sort of a "working" poster but it does look cool, so if there is interest maybe I will see if I can make it available...

By the way, does anyone here have a printing business? I sure could use some help with printing posters and film flyers... Is anyone willing to help?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

The poster looks awesome!! I'd love one or two, for me and my Hot Rod friends. Let us know how much they cost and we'll buy a few. Are these 24" x 36" or what? If you get a new design, we'll consider buying them too. Anything to support the film effort. Kool!! You are doing great Faith, with everything you do!! This Movie is really coming together nicely. Finally a real HOT ROD movie with a storyline that will make people think.

11. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

For those of you going to the GNRS, you can see the poster at gene Winfield's booth in the Suede Palace.

Today I finished cleaning up the trunk of the Deuce, repainted the inside of the trunk lid, too. Then it was the computer's turn to get fixed. Dived rigth in, removed my notherboard and installed a new heat sink cause the PC was overheating. What do you expect? I got 6 1 terrabyte hard drives in there! :eek:

:rolleyes:

So far looks like I put everything back together the rigth way cause the PC is working :D. One down, three billions to go. ;)

12. Abomination

Abomination

HOLY SHIT, Faith!!!!!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's more storage space than I have in my ENTIRE HOUSE!!!

Glad you got a nicer heat sink in there., and didn't get too much of this on you (I always end up using way too much, and it's mess - but, better safe than sorry)!

[​IMG]

Of course if you're me, you can buy it in a 9kg pail for $367!
    http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=330&Tab=P

[​IMG]

~Jason

13. Rich1028

Rich1028

I've been reading this
    and it looks like its going to be a great film.
    and yes the movie poster looks great!!
    I would not mind getting my hands on one as well.

14. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Hi Rich :)

I see you are a newbie, welcome to the HAMB. :) yes I do like that photo a lot myself, it was taken at night on the dry lake (El Mirage). I love how you see the man and the machine, standing side by side. You feel the connection between them. Johnny stands tall, confident, calm. You can see the pride. I have a feeling this will remain the main photo for the final poster, but I anticipate that the typeset, and other graphic considerations, will be improved.

Still looking for a printer... Anyone??

15. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

yep, size matters ;) HA HA!

Successfully installed a new heat sink and changed a few bios settings and it seems the PC is back to normal. No more shut downs. Looks like I am going to be able to resume editing !!

Meanwhile the deuce is running STRONGER THAN IT EVER HAS. I can't believe what a world of difference good wiring, a new tune up, and a better alternator has made. It even SOUNDS different....

Currently making some minor body repairs inside the trunk. Tomorrow we finish the back nogahide panel. My hard line for my tri power has not arrived yet. It is late. :(

I have been pondering the thought of putting an aluminum transmission cover (inside the cockpit area) and retiring my hoaky looking wood panels. Guess I should do that BEFORE carpetting, so I am looking into it. Really wish I could custom build my own, but I don't have the skills (yet) :( ... Someone told me they sell ready made on the market, but how will I know if they will fit my firewall to floorboard angle?

Anyone care to chime in and send me some links / advice?

Currently this is what I have: Just 3 pieces of plywood with some sealant to keep water out. Overall a "flat" look, as opposed to "dome Like curve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  16. Abomination

Abomination

LOL!

I have a truck, not a roadster. I'm putting bedliner on BOTH sides of my floors. I'll pretend it's a floor mat. :D

~Jason

17. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Hi Faith, if it leaks again try this stuff,
    Loctite # 565 Thread Sealant is what you need. "Suitable for exhaust systems, air conditioning fittings, fuel lines, water coolant systems and brake
    systems" This is industrial grade Pipe Sealant with Teflon. Item number 56521 comes in a 1.69 fluid oz tube. I have used this on my Three 2 barrel carb setups for 2 different builds over 15 years and never a leak. This is a thick white semi paste like stuff.
    <!-- / message -->

18. Abomination

Abomination

Here's a white paper:
    http://www.akd-tools.gr/xmsAssets/File/TDS/LOCTITE/loctite_565.PDF

Does size still matter? :D

~Jason

[​IMG]

19. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Well, the liquid stuff is what got us into trouble the first place. jerry used it (not sure what brand, but he usually only uses the good stuff) and it didn't hold. Maybe we didn't let it dry long enough - after all it was 6AM and we had been going at it for 22 hours straight... :rolleyes:

Since replacing the liquid stuff with real teflon tape for fuel lines, it has been OK, but we will see over time...

Hey, I GOT MY TRI POWER HARD LINE in today, Looks beautiful. All fittings are silver in color (no brass)... Yeah, beautiful... Too beautiful. I am going to tie it behind my roadster and drag it around the neighborhood a bit, to "age" it LOL

(just kidding Charlie!)

:D

20. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Sweet movie poster. If you get some printed up and have some available, put me down for one. It would be awesome in my garage. You have been makin alot of progress on the deuce, can't wait to see some more pics of it.

21. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

hi Johnny (nice name hehe ;) )

Yeah the deuce has never ran so strong. It is a delight! Started yesterday morning with one push of the starter button, without pumping gas and it had been sitting for at least 5 days. :D

I am eager to see how the hard line is going to fit. I guess we will find out tonight. I'll try to snap some more photos and post them here. Meahwhile, here are a few more of the deuce taken on the dry lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

That first pic of you and the deuce is awesome. Very cool picture. You should send that one in to a magazine or a book. You have one cool car and you do work on it diligently. Too Cool!!! Oh yeah you are makin a sweet movie to.

23. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

WOW !....You are one HOT tomato !......with a deuce, and makin' your own movie !......Got any sisters ?.......lol !....

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, I'm wondering how we'll get to see it up here.....people are talking about it, and the scene is huge here....It'd be great to put a crowd together at a local Drive-in....I don't know the logistics, but that would be a fun way to watch a real hot rod movie !.......Keep up the great work......

24. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Yep, I am going to look into all above once the film is ready :). Thanks for the compliment about being a "hot tomato" but if you had seen me lying on the floor of pepboys last night, you would have had a different opinion altogether LOL... The deuce is kicking our asses. Big time. We were looking for a fitting for my hard line and wouldn't you know it, it was the ONE fitting none of my local auto parts store had in stock :mad:... MURPHY'S LAW AT WORK (as always). I got so tired I finally told my friend: " I am going to lie down on the floor and fall asleep. Right here, right now"

So I did :D

"CLEAN UP ON AISLE THIRTY TWO!!!"

[​IMG]

25. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

I Love WOMEN on there Backs hehe
    Good Job you will get done soon then back to the move!

26. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Faith, I love the movie poster. It says Summer 09; I guess I better keep pressing on my coupe if theres any chance of taking it to the Grand Showing.

Steve

27. Abomination

Abomination

Dude - that's AWESOME!!!!

I may have some leads on printing places that to small runs... Kansas City IS a huge printing town you know, and being in the Mac business, you just end up knowing people. :)

Email me some specs for the art, or the art itself) and I'll hook up with a few print buyers and we'll see what we can come up with when we put our heads together...

~Jason

28. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

yeah, time flies while you are running around like a chicken with her head cut off trying to do a period full feature film on your own...

or was it "when you're having fun?"

Either or... ;)

From the looks of it, Summer seems a more realistic estimate... So you'd better hurry and get that jalopy done!!! :D

29. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

EXCITING UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just heard the word: DEUCE OF SPADES IS THE COVER of the upcoming issue of WHEELS magazine, Northern Europe largest hot rod magazine!! I am the feature story with a full 3 page spread and many photos...

I had no idea they were considering giving me the cover, so when they send me the proof I just about s**t in my pants!!! :eek:

I honestly can say this is the most excited I have ever felt in my life... My face was all red and I think my eyes got watery... Weird... We all worked SO HARD and for SO LONG... This felt like a bit of honey at the end of the rocky road of flashback filming... :D

The deuce is very proud to be on the cover :D. And I mean, the Deuce IS the cover. From top to bottom and left to right... Oh YEAHHHH...

I'll ask if it is OK to show which photo they picked. If so, I'll post it here soon. If not, I'll post it after the magazine has hit the market.

I think this is going to bring even more foreign press my way. So far I got good size reviews in New Zealands (mention of the film name on the cover - feature story and a full 3 page spread in the largest hotrod magazine there), two in France (including France largest hotrod magazine), one in Finland. I have more lined up in Italy, South Africa and now interests in Tchekoslovakia :). I hope Canada, Australia and Germany will follow and also Japan.

This is the year of the DEUCE :).

30. Hey Faith didja get those contacts I sent ya ?

Rat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.