Register now to get rid of these ads!

Possible scam????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratrod37, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I was just contacted by someone who says they are from Germany who is interesed in the wheels that I have for sale on the HAMB.He said that he has 2 cars in Michigan and would have a shipping company pick them up.He offered to pay by Paypal.Has anyone else been contacted by someone like this???? I hate to be paranoid but this is the world we live in now.Thanks for any info anyone might have.Tom

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

People outside the good ol US of A like our hotrods and parts too.

3. I got the same inquiries for some items I had listed here and on other sights.

When I googled the email address all I found was people talking about how the person who owned that email address had scammed them.

You might try the same...

4. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

5. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I sold a car to an Aussie once. Something similar. Found it on Reccler. Paid for it before I released the car. I would suggest the same thing. Get the money first then release teh wheels. Good luck.

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Nothing wrong with paying by paypal and having a shipping company pick the wheels up. Make sure you get paid, before you release the items. It doesnt matter if it's your next door neighbor or some guy in Germany.

7. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I want to trust people but I figured I would just do a quick check with the HAMB network.

8. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

I recently received a strange e-mail also. They said that they represented someone in europe wanting to purchase something they saw I had for sale. They wanted me to contact them so they could see whether or not I was genuine. The strange thing is, I've never posted anything for sale. I've only posted a wanted ad here and on fordbarn. It seemed very fishy to me seeing as how their grammar was very poor, they only said europe, and then they spelled europe in all capitol letters. Very strange.

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I maybe sent 50-60 items overseas (Europe, Australia, Japan) last year, get paid and then release, as simple as that.

10. Most of those scams come with some bs about them over-paying for your item and you returning the cash, thats going around alot. The guys on HotHeads swap meet have been getting those overpayment types lately.
    If its a staight deal ,-Paypal proper amount first then they go- what difference does it make where or how?

google the info you have is always a good idea for anything

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Truth in those words. Same works for people buying. Send money then ...

12. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I am waiting for the over-pay thing.I sell alot of motorcycle and old car parts on ebay to finance my projects and I do sell and ship overseas.This person called me,I have my phone number in the ad.Hopefully I am wrong but the deal just seemed too easy.

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

PAYPAL PAYPAL PAYPAL - do NOT send them any of your personal information. Do NOT give them any account numbers. Only two ways to do this - wire transfer or PayPal - assuming they have the clout with PayPal to transfer an amount equal to the agreed-upon purchase price.

dj

14. Most of these guys want to use a cashier's check, and are very vague about what they are interested in. I would like your item, what is your last price..blah blah.

There is a new one to me out there. I've had a couple cars on ebay. they have contacted me and want to send me a sales contract of sorts. they say they want to do this because of all the ripoffs, etc. that just lets your guard down.

I thought it was legit until I got 2 more exactly worded emails from 2 more different people. So I never opened the "sales contract" attachment.

Be careful, but don't be over careful. The overseas guys buying have just as much of a chance of getting hosed by one of us, with little recourse if any.

If the guy won't use paypal, or can't wait until funds clear, then pass.

15. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

He offered to use paypal.I have been contacted with the scam people before and it is usualy petty obvious.I don't think this is a scam but I will just have to wait and see.

16. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Paypal should be able to tell you if he's kosher or not no???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.