Register now to get rid of these ads!

i hate the city sometimes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bartikus, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Go get one of these. They are made by King Canopy and at times Sam's has them for $200. They are good for about 3 years before you have to start replacing panels but you can do them one at a time. Mine has withstood some gale force winds with passing hurricanes. They are tied down to the ground.

56 Garage 2.jpg

2. 46stude

46stude

In San Antonio, TX the code compliance people told me "if we can't see it, we can't cite you".

They suggested a 6' wooden privacy fence for the backyard, & a car cover for my dads '55 Chebby back in the early '90s. The code compliance guy said technically we could just put a "fence" around the car itself. You need to do some investigating into the actual wording of the code you are violating. There are ways around this- for just one car.

Does the Buick run? There is a clause in San Antonio's rules that says if the car will start & run, its not a "junk" vehicle. Something else to look into.

3. 73RR

73RR

Why the hell would anyone ever buy property controlled by a HOA ?? The only people in those snooty subdivisions are the ones who want everyone else to live exactly as they do, which excludes more cars and trucks than there are drivers.
    Some days 10 acres feels too small.....

4. r8odecay

r8odecay

And you can paint in there!

5. im not alowed to post my opinion on this subject anymore.

6. roddinron

roddinron

I hate the city ALL the times! Thank God I'm a country boy!:)

7. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

The problem is the tie wearing jackass's most none car guys who all they care about is how much more authority power money do they have than you and all these flakes like the guy in our local newspaper who wrote the motorcycles in town was to loud and they scared his cats when they would go down the street..put these jackass's in office who dont give a rip about cars bikes or anything else of that nature forces these crapped up laws...I dont like junk but a car can be stored by a home tastefully... do what you have to do so you don't loose your car, I,ve been through that with a new car trailer. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

8. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well at least your listening for once...

I keep my place clean no non running vehicles and lawn always mowed and shit. Id expect the same from my neighbors and one has a trukc that hasnt been driven in a few years but its licensed and dont look like junk so no big deal to me..
    Dave

9. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Tell them its a museum . . . . worked in Moab.

10. See, it ain't ME picking the fights.

im just a poor victim!

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Move!

Im just messin with ya...

yeah too bad they cant leave you alone..see if they have a way for you to work it out

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

After all my crap I was able to find a shop NOW everything is good......

13. Yeah it has to do with respecting your neighbors over here! If you have a garbage dump in your yard it lowers the value of your neighbor's house. So you don't like America not being totaly free (anarchy) don't move here! Stay where you are and let the dole take care of you. Don't worry about the historic district you live in, who cares? You can put junk cars on your lawn but are not allowed to protect it with a gun, we on the other hand do feel free because we can. We are citizens you are subjects!

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I live in the country, surrounded by big dairy CFO's (for you city folks, that means a shitload of cows). Our township has an ordinance against keeping non-licenced, non operable vehicles within sight of the roadway. I've had, from time to time, one setting in my driveway for a month or so at a time. No problem at all from the neighbors or local gendarme. My place is clean, tidy, and everybody knows I'm the "car guy" on our street.

We have a neighbor down the street who, in the entire 15 years they've lived there, have NEVER mown the lawn, picked up a fallen limb or done any maintence on the formerly nice little ranch style house. There is a detached 3 car garage the doors fell apart on, with junk cars and trash inside, with the tattered remains of cheap poly tarps flapping in the breeze in the openings. The driveway has currently has 4 non running cars on flat tires (they are covered now, thanks to two feet of snow.)

Two years ago, I and another neighbor, a car guy too, went and politely asked them if they couldn't do something about the cars. At that time, there were so many junkers in the driveway, they couldn't get the tail end of the cars they were driving off the shoulder of the road. They put "For Sale" signs on the two closest to the road, and that was it.

I called the local cops and complained, and felt like an ass, but it was a hazard, unsightly, and hey, we asked 'em nicely. Four cars ended up being hauled away, and it looked a little better for awhile. Now, a couple more have died and the driveway is filling up again. When they get out to the road, I guess I'll have to complain again.

It's not unfair to be considerate of ones neighbors, and keep your place picked up. A yard full of "projects" may be great for the guy who owns 'em, but if the neighbors see more and more non running cars dragged in without some progress being made on the ones already there, they are certainly right to ask the city or township to site the owner as a nuciance.

15. Don't want to move to the states and I have a private income (worked very hard and had a successful business - retired at 50. Also my 30 year old wife has a great job) so I don't need the dole.z

My "junk" cars are a 30's Morgan, a 55 Ford Anglia with a 2 litre pinto engine and a steel 21 T Modified with a 347 Pontiac engine. It's my pleasure to park them outside my house and if the neighbours don't like it they can eat shite.

BTW - I do own a gun. Currently a shotgun and a .22 plus a 458 Win Mag Ruger No1. In the past I've had a Thompson, 44 mags. Lugers, a 44 Automag etc etc

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Know about how in all the alien movies they freak out about first contact and making the right first impression??

Guess what, you're making first contact with code enforcement, a world that is often alien to common sense.

But it's populated by humans that normally deal with assholes and lazies all day. If you're nice and show that you're willing to work with them, don't be suprised if things ease up and deadlines are extended.

But ALWAYS hold up your end of the bargain if there is one.

Sorry to hear bout your luck, but part of being a car person anymore is understanding where you can and can't live.

FWIW a friend just fought the code guys for a decade by "demonstrating" all his junkers for a decade. Not a one was actually driveable though. Recently he realized they'd all rotted out from sitting and were junk. They're gone now, scrap mostly.

For the amount of effort he put into fighting the man, determined to hold onto a fleet of shit, cause they weren't gonna tell him what to do......he coulda had a decent driveable project......I think the line is know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

good luck either way

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Usually it involves a city ordinance. If they city has a municipal code officer, its their job to enforce the laws. Some cities contract with the local Sheriff to enforce those laws. Has to do with a "Quality of Life" issue. Some of the more expensive communities, you are not allowed to have you vehicles, boats, motorcycles, etc....parked in public view. They are afraid it will decrease home values.

18. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

sounds like a neighbor is unhappy with his life and took it out on you. Typically gov. workers are lazy and don't make work for themselves. Most likely someone called them.

I can understand neighbors not wanting to see a broken down car in the front yard...kind of.

But what happens if someone wants to tinker with some toys and wants to park them in his back yard? The neighbors call the man. Well then let's put up a nice privacy fence that looks nice from the outside and no one can see in...then you have to spend countless hours in the land use office arguing over what kind of wood to use, how far back to start the fence, how high is too high, get signatures from every homeowner in a 10 block radius, then move on to the construction office and start the whole thing over again.

My advice: do as little as you can to be compliant. As was said before, learn what laws/ordinances you have violated and make sure you're no longer violating them. Then buy 2 more cars as ugly as you can find, register them, make sure they're compliant...fuck 'em

19. Impalabuilder - I think you nailed it. Some people can't bear to see others having a good time.

20. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Thats all the rich have to do complain oh my property value is going down.Got a ass like that here wants everyone to mow there grass to 1 1/2 inches .So i only mow my graa 4 times durning the summer and never rake the leaves .He tried calling the police once. But then i called everytime he did something wrong that stopped that. Rich guys do not like it . Well you can always move to somewhere with people just like yourself.

21. bartikus

bartikus

well i had a nice conversation with the girl in charge of violation enforcement. i was really polite over the phone and asked if i put up one of those portable garages around it and her ansewer was that in salt lake you can not have a car sitting on the dirt. so i asked if i put down gravel and she said it had to be on a concrete slab. so i said that i would get the other problems taken car of. then asked her if in a month i didn't have the buick moved yet if i could have an extension of the time. she said that if the other violations were taken car of then when the time came we could disscuss my options and give me an extension as long as the other thing were taken care of. i thanked her for her time and left it at that. i figured she gets a lot of really mad people on the phone so being polite would help out a lot.

22. Post a picture of what your place looks like with the cars all around.

I can't park cars all over the place on the North side of Chicago. If I could I'd be that bad neighbour.

23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Not entirely true. In many instances inspectors can act on observances thru normal duties. Example, a neighbor 2 houses over gets a deck built, and the inspector is in that guy's backyard to certify the job. He looks over and sees your car that's not visible from the street. At that point he doesn't need a complaint.

In other instances, realtors are notorious for making a round of complaints if "eyesores" are visible from the property they're selling.

24. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

that's why I said typically. 99 times out of 100 a city/state worker doesn't want to bother...just wants 5pm to come as quick as possible

25. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

We have city inspectors roaming our neighbirhood frequently. We are less than a 1/2 mile from their home office and they tend to cruise around here waiting for quitin' time. They can quickly hit the clock and go home.

26. Lucky77

Lucky77

That was the correct way to go about it, good for you.

As far as all the other "Fuck 'em, they'll have to deal with it" sage advice
    some here are propagating, you guys aren't doing the car hobby any favors with that attitude. A large percentage of the general public are indifferent to or dislike old cars. Anytime you put what we do in a negative light weather it's leaving junkers out on the front lawn or building an unsafe piece of shit rat rod that breaks due to the builder's neglegence and causes and accident, it's just one more nail in the eventual coffin. Bad press is exactly what we don't want.

Remember, this doesn't happen in a vacuum. The problem you're having and the BAD advice you're receiving happens in almost every city in every state in the Country. Enough non car people complain and some day it might become illegal for regular guys to build cars in their garages. When I come home in my hot rod I idle down the street and kill it as soon as I'm in the driveway. I happen to like the sound of a 12.3:1 compression SBC with open headers but not everybody else does. There's isn't much that's more traditional than being respectful to your neighbors.

27. Truckedup

Truckedup

Ain't that the fucking truth.And if more people did that,there would be almost no problems

28. 067chevy

067chevy

I hate the city. I live on 2 acres just 1 mile outside the city limits so screw the the city. I'll keep as many old car around as I want. but of coarse I'm not starting a junk yard and keep mos of my stuff out of site.

29. You need to read the actual codes in the ordinance book. They may be able to be looked up online. Then do what you have to do to comply. The codes people may lie about it. I had one tell me that a car trailer was considered commercial, and commercial can't be parked overnight in a residential neighborhood. The actual ordinance says "commercial vehicles over 7500 lbs" can't be parked in residential neighborhoods.. I called their bluff and that was the end of it.

One nice thing, if you register the cars, you can cancel the reg after 30 days or so, as long as you sent them a copy, and it should be good for a year. I've done that before. I still laugh because our old place the one neighbor was such an asshole, I was tempted to park one of the cars right up next to his fence to see every single day. We moved, someone else moved in, and they have a rusty '60s Ford flatbed - parked right next to the fence for asshole to look at every single day. Sometimes things just work out right -

Around here a self-store place is $45 a month for one to put a car in. That's about a buck and a half a day. Or you can register, insurance is usually cheap for the second and third cars.

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That, and showing some class.