Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find Studebaker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbstude, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mbstude

mbstude

My latest find... A one owner, original paint, totally rust free, 1958 Stude Commander. Should be a fun driver. :cool:

I'll get it runnin', redo the interior, shine the factory paint up, and let it replace the '62 Lark sedan I currently call my daily driver. It's weird being 18 years old and the second owner of a 51 year old car. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Geeeee...I wish I was that lucky when I was eighteen...:)

3. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

Very cool, looks like it should shine up nice... find the thread on the Hudson find in UK and see what it looked like after polish...

They're still out there, all shapes and kinds...

4. 57BUDDii

57BUDDii
    from Colorado

Matthew,

Great find! Can you tell us a little more about how you found it, how long was it stored and any cool details. :D

Good luck with it..... BUDDii

5. attastude

attastude

nice find! does it have the stude 259 or 289 or a packard engine?

6. Great find...that baby should shine up real nice...can't wait to see pix of her gleamin' proudly in the sun...Way to go!

7. mbstude

mbstude

Wow, that was quick. :)

It was last tagged in 1975. I've been told it was running as late as the middle 80's, and the engine was turned over 3 years ago. From what I understand, it was parked because the brakes went out. The gentleman that bought it new in '58 owned a dairy somewhere near Atlanta, GA, which is where the car was sold new. A few years ago, his grandson, Jeff, inherited the car and brought it to his home and put it in the barn, which is about an hour drive from where I live.

Sometime last year, the Macon Telegraph sent someone down to do a newpaper article on "that kid in Hazlehurst who drives his Studebaker truck to High School everyday". At the time, Jeff was looking to find a good home for the '58, as he knew he'd never do anything with it, nor did he have the ability to do so. Lots of sentimental value was attached to the car, so he didn't want just anyone to own it. Anyways, a buddy of his saw that newspaper article, and tracked down my granddad on the internet, thinking that a crazy bunch of Stude nuts would be perfect owners for the old Studebaker.

Sunday my granddad, uncle, cousin and I loaded up to go check out this "'58 Stude that's sittin' out in the barn", expecting to find some clapped out, rusted out parts car. But, that obviously wasn't the case. After fully checking out the car, and finding no rust whatsoever, I struck a deal with the owner and am now the owner of an all original Stude. The body is near perfect, doors close with a 'thunk' and nothing is missing. Should make a great little driver! It's got the 259 V8 and automatic.

8. James427

James427
    BANNED

I love the spider webs on the dash. It does look like it will polish up real well. Please update us when you get that first coat of wax on it, I'd like to see the before and after. :)

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

good for you! I hope you stude studs enjoy your new ride.

10. Hugh's_Hornet

Hugh's_Hornet

Cool find.

[​IMG]

"Digital" speedometer?

11. mbstude

mbstude

Some call it a 'cyclops'. The speedometer is a little canister type thing inside that window in the middle of the dash. As you accelerate, the canister rotates and the numbers written on it ascend. The speedometer is the coolest thing on the whole car. :cool:

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

its a rotating drum...

13. Gerg

Gerg

very cool looking car congrats on the find.

14. Cool find.I like it.

15. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I wish I was that smart when I was eighteen. :)

16. Neat find. Safe bet that you'll have the only '58 Stude Commander at the local cruise in.

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

A face only a mother could love. Great snag. Lets see it again after its had a bath.

18. I have always wanted a 58 STUDE Hardtop....those are neat cars, and not one youll end up parking beside at the local burger joint! Great find, and a cool story!

19. I love those years of Studebakers. I have a 58 Scotsman 2dr sedan, but it has one headlight per side versus yours with 2.

It looks like the 57 model.

Neat cars. Keeps everone wondering what it is..

20. missysdad1

missysdad1

What a great find! I can just see it on the ground with chrome reverse wheels and pinner whites! 'Way cool, Matthew!

21. fleetside66

fleetside66

I had a '59 Lark when I was 18. I'm 62 now. Looking back, I don't know if "smart" or "lucky" would have been the way I would have described the experience. Maybe "deranged?" I was so mentally disturbed that I bought a '62 a few years later. They were both convertibles. Good luck to you my kindred soul!

22. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

Matthew,

looks like another fine addition to your already amazing collection