Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint match problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timmy t, Jan 13, 2009.

1. timmy t

timmy t

Any body else out there have problems matching paint chips. Went to 3 different paint supply houses today to match an original Ford color, but the formula was for lacqur and I wanted a cheap single stage to shoot a test panel to see if I really like the color.Two out of the three could'nt transfer the code to modern day paint.

2. A good Paint supply house uses a computerized camera and takes a picture of you vehicle,,their compuer will spit out formula My DuPont dist does anyway....
    That way perfect match for your old paint

3. Many auto body stores that have mixing systems or that supply to high volume collision shops, have scanners now-- just like your Home Depot.

Probably not a NAPA-- but an independent that sells DuPont or Ditzler.

4. brandon

brandon

dupont and ppg have a lot of codes....just not for a 56 pontiac...:rolleyes: what year and color are you looking for...?

5. if it is a ppg supplier they can also call the color library to see if there are any varients to the color as well as getting a formula for the prime code.

6. brandon

brandon

could also try going thru a dupont spectra master chip book.....:D

7. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

There are new codes for the old codes(does that even make sense??), I know that if your supplier calls ppg than they can pull up the new code and mix you some paint. Or they should have a scanner called a prophet, they can scan your car and match to that. You could also try Calling Auto Body specialties, here is the Mitchell S.D. phone number:(605) 996-1070, they should be able to help you find the new code. If all else fails you can pm me the old code and I will get you the new code for your choice of paint.

8. Ryan at Sturdevants has always done well for me. Did you try him? Gotta be Ryan, the rest down there have no clue.

9. timmy t

timmy t

I'm just going by an old PPG color chip book, so using a scanner on a ink printed image isnt going to work. The color Im looking at is a 37,38 Ford cordoba tan.

10. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and Sikkens has a similar book. It's full of paint chips about 1 inch square, with holes in the middle, arranged by color and shade-1 book for metallics and 1 for solid colors. You can take your chip or a spray out sample, and compare it to the closest chip and then get some paint and do your own spray out. By looking at the chips yourself you aren't taking up a lot of the paint store guys time, unless you are color blind. Time is money and it does take time. Remember standing at the counter fidlef**king around whining and looking at paint chips doesn't make you a favored customer, because this can take some time to make a decision. I go down to the store and match colors fairly often, and usually step outside in good daylight to get the best color view. By looking at the chips myself the store people can go about business and help me when I've picked a color chip. Once you find a close chip, you can review the formula to see what pigments are in it for tinting and adjusting for a closer match, if it is available in single stage or base/clear or both, and check if it will be a good hiding color. Once you find a formula with a paint code or number, you can usually cross that code or number with a different brand or supplier if you prefer.

overspray

11. Weasel

Weasel

Paint scanners or spectrum analyzers don't work worth a damn - they will give you an approximate match. Nothing beats the trained human eye. You should look for a paint supplier that custom matches colors.

12. scranm

scranm
    from IN

I'd agree with the post above. The computer profits get the paint close, but never matches. Trust me, I have tired numerous time. You will have the best luck blending. Even with a paint code you will have your work cut out.

13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree with Overspray, as usual!
    I even went out and BOUGHT the Dupont Spectramaster book for solid colors, I use it so often! Call your local bodyshop supply places and ask if they have it.